Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

If it looks like #3, it will sell. It won't be for me however.
Sponsored

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Who said anything about gas powered? You know Rivian was originally going to make an EV sports car right?
Originally RJ was set to make a highly efficient gas powered sports car; I figured that is what you were referencing.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Originally RJ was set to make a highly efficient gas powered sports car; I figured that is what you were referencing.
I wasn't aware it was planned to be ICE. Yeah I don't want that.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
If the R2 has a sloped back like the Model Y Rivian is done. It has to be simple and boxy like the R1S. So many new EV designs are fussy. But clean and a boxiness that nods to retro but is clearly contemporarty is what will work.

Even yacht design is going with a classic boxiness yet modern. Yet most car designers can't help themselves from adding unnecessary lines because they don't have confidence in the vehicle looking expensive enough.

The Model Y is not an SUV just because Tesla registers it as such. Neither is the mach-e. Rivian has to avoid this sort of design.

If Rivian is wondering if their prospective R2 design is too plain then they are on the right track. Unfortunately for them the line between a classic modern look and unremarkable is not clear.

The renders of the future Scout get it. But VW will likely mess that look up before production.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
If the R2 has a sloped back like the Model Y Rivian is done. It has to be simple and boxy like the R1S. So many new EV designs are fussy. But clean and a boxiness that nods to retro but is clearly contemporarty is what will work.

Even yacht design is going with a classic boxiness yet modern. Yet most car designers can't help themselves from adding unnecessary lines because they don't have confidence in the vehicle looking expensive enough.

The Model Y is not an SUV just because Tesla registers it as such. Neither is the mach-e. Rivian has to avoid this sort of design.

If Rivian is wondering if their prospective R2 design is too plain then they are on the right track. Unfortunately for them the line between a classic modern look and unremarkable is not clear.

The renders of the future Scout get it. But VW will likely mess that look up before production.
I agree the Scout renders are just about perfect for the look you're talking about. I quite like that look more so than the R1T even so it would be something for me to look at come replacement time for this.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I agree the Scout renders are just about perfect for the look you're talking about. I quite like that look more so than the R1T even so it would be something for me to look at come replacement time for this.
I think a designer would say that an exciting 2d render does not transfer directly to a real 3d car. But clearly the feel of a render can sometimes be successfully implemented in the real world.

It's very difficult for designers who spend years on an important project to judge the emotional impact of their work on a new viewer. When I have been presented aesthetic design choices I never allow a presentation before or during the unveil. It's hard for decision makers to do that over the years of development to be that removed.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think a designer would say that an exciting 2d render does not transfer directly to a real 3d car. But clearly the feel of a render can sometimes be successfully implemented in the real world.

It's very difficult for designers who spend years on an important project to judge the emotional impact of their work on a new viewer. When I have been presented aesthetic design choices I never allow a presentation before or during the unveil. It's hard for decision makers to do that over the years of development to be that removed.
Isn't that where the use of focus groups and the like come in handy? Do that right and you'll be able to capture that feel. Either that or get someone who's really good with style and design to approve it. A Steve Jobs type fellow can put you on the map. Where he excelled was the fact that he kept his finger on the pulse of the consumer and remained objective about his products through development. That's why so many Apple products were so well received.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner

I hope they take inspiration from this Toyota concept. As you said, they need to lean into their current design language and not get mixed in with the competition.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R2 - Which one will it be?? toyota-compact-cruiser-front-three-quarters-blue-1655220422

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I hope they take inspiration from this Toyota concept. As you said, they need to lean into their current design language and not get mixed in with the competition.
toyota-compact-cruiser-front-three-quarters-blue-1655220422.jpg
Hopefully they go a little sleeker than that. I like that design, but it looks like it's made of Lego bricks. Maybe go with those old school elements but make them sleek not ruggedized.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
toyota-compact-cruiser-front-three-quarters-blue-1655220422.jpg
The FJ was a sales failure. It is a good offroader. Modern Asian car companies don't get the offroad aesthetic. They don't improve even by using a California design firm.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Hopefully they go a little sleeker than that. I like that design, but it looks like it's made of Lego bricks. Maybe go with those old school elements but make them sleek not ruggedized.
I agree about it looking like it's made from lego, but I like lego! This design is a little busy but I hope they don't try to make it too swoopy.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

All three renders are 🗑

they best take the R1S design and make it an off-road capable wagon. Take a Volvo V90 and make it better, Rivian better.

Last edited:

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
The FJ was a sales failure. It is a good offroader. Modern Asian car companies don't get the offroad aesthetic. They don't improve even by using a California design firm.
They sold over 200,000 of them. They also have amazing resale values. Not sure if that constitutes as a failure.
Sponsored