Sponsored

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
https://electrek.co/2024/03/15/rivian-rivn-hyundai-us-ev-registration-growth-january/

Rivian related portions:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian see US EV registration growth in January 2024, outpacing rivals Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 1.55.03 PM

Rivian and Hyundai were among the leaders in EV registration growth. Rivian’s R1S led the growth while Hyundai’s IONIQ 5 picked up the pace.

With Kia and Genesis included, Hyundai Motor topped Ford and Chevy with 8,262 registrations in January.

EV startup Rivian trended higher, placing fifth, with 3,818 registrations. Despite R1T numbers slipping 44%, the R1S picked up the slack, with registrations quadrupling.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
VW is tanking if they can’t even come close to what Kia is doing. That is sad.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
VW is tanking if they can’t even come close to what Kia is doing. That is sad.
There is nothing sad.

VW is refusing to follow Tesla, Ford and the Koreans into price cuts.

So they are losing market share but not margin.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

fyton2v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS, FJ40, F150, MY
Good read. It kinda confirms that the R1T is a niche vehicle. It would work for me, but it’s not checking enough “truck” boxes for most Americans. And it’s a really, really expensive truck that doesn’t check all those boxes. The R1S, however, is more of a luxury, status vehicle. It must be attracting the Land Rover and Mercedes crowds and should continue to do great in its market segment. IMO.

The R2 is going to be an absolute hit. More affordable, checks all the boxes, and looks amazing.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1T is continuing to tank.

I hope the R2 is pushed as fast as possible and take over the R1T line.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
https://electrek.co/2024/03/15/rivian-rivn-hyundai-us-ev-registration-growth-january/

Rivian related portions:

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 1.55.03 PM.jpg

Rivian and Hyundai were among the leaders in EV registration growth. Rivian’s R1S led the growth while Hyundai’s IONIQ 5 picked up the pace.

With Kia and Genesis included, Hyundai Motor topped Ford and Chevy with 8,262 registrations in January.

EV startup Rivian trended higher, placing fifth, with 3,818 registrations. Despite R1T numbers slipping 44%, the R1S picked up the slack, with registrations quadrupling.
If that data is right, it would imply that Rivian $sales are likely second or third in the category while only playing in the upper price tier and likely gaining competitive value share within EVs.

That's a great sign with entry to mass price tiers looking promising based on the recent unveils.

I'm not sure what impacted the stock the past few days that wasn't 'baked in' prior to the post unveil bump, but this data seems encouraging (as is speculation of new tax incentives coming from IL).

Bimmer100

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Audio HiFi Manufacturer
Clubs

Rivian related portions:

I’m part of the

Rivian related portions:

interesting! We are part of the 2023 registrations for bmw, rivian and Tesla and surprised it’s not more than this to be honest.
but it’s great to see this growth either way. Would hope to see much higher numbers. Especially once the r2 and r3 arrives. I’m for sure going to get an R3X and do have a preorder for r2 but not sure we will get it. May hold off and wait for r3 instead

Nikhiluor

First Name
Nikhil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am not surprised with this…in Cupertino, I used to see only couple of them till Dec and now can easily count 15-20 within my 2-3 miles radius every day. R1S is hit and it seems new lease offer is helping customers to try this vehicle..

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What I like is that Rivian is doing so well in the midst of all the legacy companies. Thanks for sharing.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
R1T is continuing to tank.

I hope the R2 is pushed as fast as possible and take over the R1T line.
R1T is still an important vehicle contributing to sales as well as to the brand. It carries Rivian through 2022 and hit the world’s attention as the first EV truck that can do truck things. SUVs are a much bigger market so not surprising the S is now doing better.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
There is nothing sad.

Good point, but I also think the VW branded BEVs are nothing special. Why would anyone want one over an equivalent ICEV?

Rivian figured out how to make something unique, and it just happens to be a BEV. I think Ford has done a better job than the competition with differentiated BEVs, but VW is just producing bland products.

I wonder if the ID.BUZZ will do better? It is certainly unique, and will attract buyers who are not just looking for a BEV. Of course the minivan market in the US is not the biggest, and it might just end up being something unique and cool that not many real people want to put in their garage.

I think the key is to build a better vehicle, like Rivian did. So you actually want it because it is better than the ICE equivalent. VW hasn't done that yet.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1T is still an important vehicle contributing to sales as well as to the brand. It carries Rivian through 2022 and hit the world’s attention as the first EV truck that can do truck things. SUVs are a much bigger market so not surprising the S is now doing better.
You seem to not be aware. Trucks are by far a bigger market in the US. They sell multiples more than the next best selling vehicles such as the Tesla Model Y and Honda CR-V. The R1T just can’t compete in the truck market. There’s relatively very few that want an electric truck it seems even among EV buying crowd, let alone the broader truck buying crowd.

Are you really saying keeping the line for a few sales is better than putting those resources into building a vehicle that is more mass market in the R1S and R2? Rivian is not making money if you don’t remember.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
There is nothing sad.

Rivian isn’t playing the price cutting game either. The R1T could surely use some help with sales. Either cut the price or cut the vehicle. Rivian isn’t in a position to be making niche vehicles.
Sponsored