Sponsored

Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs

yetti96

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad w/ Large Compass Yellow, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Stephen, if you don’t get your A2Z or the Rivian branded unit in time I’ll lend you my A2Z. Send me a message if you’re still in need. I’m out of town most of that time and not taking a trip myself until later in July.
Sponsored

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
I'm about to purchase the Typhoon A2Z adaptor and the web site has a bundle offer for an AC adaptor as well. Is this AC adaptor what I would need to use at a hotel or friend's level 2 garage that only has Tesla (NACS) charger? Thanks!

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I'm about to purchase the Typhoon A2Z adaptor and the web site has a bundle offer for an AC adaptor as well. Is this AC adaptor what I would need to use at a hotel or friend's level 2 garage that only has Tesla (NACS) charger? Thanks!
Yes you can tell if an adapter is for DC fast charging (supercharger) because it has the 2 large pins at the bottom that make it CCS (you have to open the rectangular flap on your Rivian).
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs ccs

The J1772 adapter does not have the 2 large pins under the round connector and is used for AC charging (the charger built into your Rivian). You use this adapter on Tesla destination, home and mobile chargers.
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs j1772

AC on Left DC on right
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs chargers

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
Yes.

NACS to CCS is what you'd use at a supercharger. NACS to J1772 is what you'd use at any level 2 charger with a Tesla/NACS plug.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I don't have a "RIVIAN APPROVED NACS ADAPTER" to let you use but it sounds like an awesome trip, please post a trip report with pics!

(and I would recommend A2Z's, hundreds of people are using them, thousands and thousands of successful charges at this point with no reported issues, I'd go for that)

Sponsored

Duckman

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
I just travelled about half of your route going from Phoenix to Blaine WA. Rivian has excellent RAN coverage along the west part of 40 and I-5 at least to Portland OR. I don't know what the towing will do to range but I did not have to use a non-RAN until Redding. Redding is a 44 station Supercharger station and I was the only EV there. I also used Tesla chargers at Harris Ranch not because I had to but because even in ICE days I always stopped there to walk the dogs and have lunch. Best stop on I-5. I used the A2Z at Redding and Harris Ranch. It worked flawlessly. I also had to use EVgo in Tacoma. It was a 6 station location and 2 were down due to vandalism but the other 4 were vacant and fast. They are not suited to trailering. You would have to drop your trailers in the Bass Pro parking lot to charge. There is a Tesla Supercharger near by and it was my backup plan and I did not have to use it. There is a large new Tesla supercharger in Blaine just before you cross the border. I cross the border a lot and BC has very poor high speed DC charging coverage compared to US. And climbing the mountains from Squamish to Whistler is going to suck a lot of juice. Just use the A2Z and have a great trip.

OP
OP
SPDL.Rivian

SPDL.Rivian

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S & '24 R1T & '26? R2 (pre-order)
Occupation
Relaxed
Thank you so much, everyone! Thanks to the generosity of two Forum members, I have secured two RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapters for my trip! I have also purchased the A2Z adapters as a backup, so I should be covered. I am very thankful for the support of this community! I will post updates along the way!

OP
OP
SPDL.Rivian

SPDL.Rivian

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Relaxed
I got my first loaner RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter today and tested it out. It worked flawlessly. It attaches quickly and securely to the Tesla charger. It was pug-n-play with billing automatically with my Rivian account. I plan to test the Tesla membership on my trips, so I'm unsure how that changes the connection process. Parking is a challenge. You need room on either the side of the far left or the far right charge stations to avoid taking two Tesla spots. Pulling a trailer will add another level of complexity. Thanks again to a couple of generous forum members for loaning me their chargers! 🙏🙏

Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs IMG_1411
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs IMG_1414
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs IMG_1412
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs IMG_1413

Attachments

Last edited:

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN UPDATED TO CLARIFY THE ASK.

Hello Rivian Community,

My wife and I are planning an exciting road trip from Austin to Whistler in the last couple of weeks of June. We will drive our Rivian R1S and R1T, BOTH PULLING TRAILERS. Unfortunately, we have not yet received our Rivian-approved NACS Tesla adapters, and it seems unlikely that we will get them before our trip.

I previously posted about this issue, and I do have two A2Z adapters ordered as a backup, but my preference is to avoid any potential warranty dispute and use the RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS ADAPTERS.

Here’s what I’m offering for RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS ADAPTER

A $250 gift card for the Rivian Gear Store (or just straight cash) as a token of appreciation.
I will cover all FedEx shipping costs to have the adapter sent to me and returned to you.

Dates Needed:
From June 15 to July 1, 2024.

If anyone in the community is willing to rent, sell, or loan us a RIVIAN APPROVED NACS ADAPTER adapter for this period, it would be a tremendous help! We truly appreciate the support of this amazing community.

Stephen
There is literally no potential warranty issue as has been discussed and explained ad nauseam - not possible both legally or technically

OP
OP
SPDL.Rivian

SPDL.Rivian

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Relaxed
There is literally no potential warranty issue as has been discussed and explained ad nauseam - not possible both legally or technically
Thanks so much, you are free to do whatever you want with your Rivian...but with two brand-new vehicles I am choosing to follow the recommendation included with the Rivian adapter:
Rivian R1T R1S Seeking RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter for June 15 - July 1: Offering $250 Gift Card + FedEx Costs Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.04.06 PM

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

I got my first loaner RIVIAN-APPROVED NACS Tesla Adapter today and tested it out. It worked flawlessly. It attaches quickly and securely to the Tesla charger. It was pug-n-play with billing automatically with my Rivian account. I plan to test the Tesla membership on my trips, so I'm unsure how that changes the connection process. Parking is a challenge. You need room on either the side of the far left or the far right charge stations to avoid taking two Tesla spots. Pulling a trailer will add another level of complexity. Thanks again to a couple of generous forum members for loaning me their chargers! 🙏🙏

IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1414.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg
IMG_1413.jpeg
The connection process is really easy with the Tesla membership and app. You can set your Rivian vehicle in the app and it will filter out the Tesla only stations. Roll up to the compatible station, open the app and select the location. Then select "Charge Here" and choose the post number that you are at. Then it will instruct you to connect the adapter and plug in. It does the handshake with the vehicle and starts charging.
Sponsored