First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
Took delivery Saturday and have virtually no issues at this time.
However I have noticed via 3 different speed trackers around town that the speedometer speed is 2mph faster than my actual speed.

Is this something that can be corrected at the SC?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Took delivery Saturday and have virtually no issues at this time.
However I have noticed via 3 different speed trackers around town that the speedometer speed is 2mph faster than my actual speed.

Is this something that can be corrected at the SC?
That is by design, everyone does that to compensate for tire wear.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

used to be 5 or 6 at full speed. It's been covered in the past on this forum and is something all manufacturers do to different degrees. Rivian is one of the more accurate now. SC won't do or be able to more finely calibrate that.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
If that 2 mph is at an indicated 35 (meaning that you're only going 33), then your speed (and thereby your distance) is being overstated by a hair over 6%. If this is a universal practice, I'm surprised someone hasn't filed a class action lawsuit over all those warranties that are running out before the mileage limit has (actually) been reached.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If that 2 mph is at an indicated 35 (meaning that you're only going 33), then your speed (and thereby your distance) is being overstated by a hair over 6%. If this is a universal practice, I'm surprised someone hasn't filed a class action lawsuit over all those warranties that are running out before the mileage limit has (actually) been reached.
Mine is not off 2 mph at 35.

I have not been by one that reads by decimals so hard to say at lower speeds. Mine reads the same at 25 based on the one in our community. I’ve seen it show 71 and 72 going by ones at 70, I assume they round up at .5 so really hard to get an accurate number under those circumstances. Of course there is always the unknown accuracy of the radar unit as well.

I have also seen manufacturers honor warranties if they are barely over the mileage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
I did notice in my Palisade I was 1mph off at 55mph and up. But that's 1mph and at high speed.

This is 2mph at a 40mph sign, and at two 35mph signs.

I drove by again at 25, and it registered me at 23.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I believe I have seen elsewhere that the speedo and the odometer are not following the same math. The vehicle knows exactly how fast you are going to determine mileage, but displays a speed that is slightly faster than you are actually going. I really don't understand why, but it is common practice.

I was worried about how far off the speedo was on my MINI Cooper and service for BMW told me the exact same thing - intentionally off by about 3%.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
but displays a speed that is slightly faster than you are actually going. I really don't understand why, but it is common practice.
United Nations harmonized vehicle regulations (used in the EU and UK and maybe more places) state that the indicated speed must never be lower than the actual speed. In the US it has to be +/- 5% at 50MPH, but given the UN law, most manufacturers err on the side of indicating faster than actual speed.

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2018/R039r2e.pdf

"5.4. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle."
Sponsored

Last edited: