teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
Awesome

We need multiple vendors/ “gas station” brands to meet the need and build a more robust infrastructure
Agreed. Put chargers along the sides of their lots, away from the pumps and you have the bathrooms/ snacks thing already covered.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Cool to see that Tesla is selling their hardware to other CPOs. Opens the door for them to sell Tesla manufactured NACS cables to other dispenser vendors, which is also great.

I wonder if they will have an O&M partnership with Tesla to keep these systems running. I could see reliability taking a hit, otherwise.

A further benefit of BP operating these systems is some shielding from any potential Tesla anti-competitive behavior if they own all of the desirable charging assets.

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
Won’t be any good unless BP maintains and services them the same as Tesla would

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Cool to see that Tesla is selling their hardware to other CPOs. Opens the door for them to sell Tesla manufactured NACS cables to other dispenser vendors, which is also great.

I wonder if they will have an O&M partnership with Tesla to keep these systems running. I could see reliability taking a hit, otherwise.

A further benefit of BP operating these systems is some shielding from any potential Tesla anti-competitive behavior if they own all of the desirable charging assets.
Looks like they will have magic docks so both NACS and CCS. That's good news for everyone.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Looks like they will have magic docks so both NACS and CCS. That's good news for everyone.
The big question in my mind is whether there will be variations between magic dock current limits. 350A @ 400V in practice means a max of 150kW or so.

Tesla is willing to push over 500A through their cables, though they are using cable cooling and temp sensing.

The CCS to NACS adapter (for Tesla CCS enabled vehicles to charge on CCS1) allows 500A, seemingly, so it would be great if we saw some something similar to enable more current as Tesla gains more confidence in the performance of the Magic Dock.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The big question in my mind is whether there will be variations between magic dock current limits. 350A @ 400V in practice means a max of 150kW or so.

Tesla is willing to push over 500A through their cables, though they are using cable cooling and temp sensing.

The CCS to NACS adapter (for Tesla CCS enabled vehicles to charge on CCS1) allows 500A, seemingly, so it would be great if we saw some something similar to enable more current as Tesla gains more confidence in the performance of the Magic Dock.
I'm assuming that my CCS Rivian will max out at 150kW with either the adaptor or the magic dock. That's fine with me especially in an emergency or charging desert. If it's more than great but I think 150kW should be good for most applications.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wish they would have given more details on how many chargers does $100M buy? Elon give them a bulk buy discount or stick it to them just because.

If we assume $100k per charger that's 1000 chargers and if an average of 10 chargers per site that's only 100 sites. Good but not great over the next 6 years. Guess it's better than nothing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm assuming that my CCS Rivian will max out at 150kW with either the adaptor or the magic dock. That's fine with me especially in an emergency or charging desert. If it's more than great but I think 150kW should be good for most applications.
I agree and considering the charge curve and how long it stays above 150 the charge time really is not going to be that much different than faster chargers.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I agree and considering the charge curve and how long it stays above 150 the charge time really is not going to be that much different than faster chargers.
In practice you are correct that 150kw sustained vs 212kw for a short period is pretty insignificant, especially given the thermal repercussions of that jump to >200kW.

If Rivian gets their cooling scheme slightly better tuned such that they dump max cooling into the batteries well before the temp climbs above 45C, I might argue that it could become more so significant in the future. That said, we are talking a couple of minutes saved, max.

In general, I totally agree that nearly ubiquitous 150kW charging is something to celebrate, without a doubt.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Agreed. Put chargers along the sides of their lots, away from the pumps and you have the bathrooms/ snacks thing already covered.
Unfortunately, on those rare times I need to visit a gas station these days (mostly to fill the i3's little rubber band tires), the smell of gas is now rather nauseating.
Sponsored