Tesla Universal Charger with Magic Dock Adapter Won't Recognize Rivian R1S

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have just had the Tesla universal charger installed - and updated the firmware and made sure it's set for All Vehicles - using the included Adaptor in the dock - it will not work - the Tesla charger never recognizes the Rivian and the light never goes green on my R1S.

If I use the Tesla Tap - it will work and recognizes the charger and starts to charge. It's on a 50amp circuit and we are getting 14-5 miles an hour charging with the Tesla base cable and the Tesla Tap. I went this route because we have a Tesla and were using the Tesla Tap in the interim - and having the back and front of the driveway for both vehicles have access was going to be great.

I am not sure what else to do? What other setting do I need to do to use the included adaptor in the dock? Is there some reset or something I need to do to the Tesla charger besides the factory reset?

Any help or troubleshooting would be great.
Sponsored

OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Well after a factory reset and shutting off the breaker - I was able to redo the setup and magically it worked.

I think this must be the issue is provisioning it correctly - the electricians initially had it setup using the browser page. Using the Tesla Pro app worked finally - and the firmware and everything is also current.

This steered me in the direction of success:

Here's what I did that may have fixed the problem:

1. After issues connecting tonight, I shutoff the charger from the circuit breaker for 10 seconds and began again. Maybe it needs a reboot.
  2. I tried connecting to the Tesla Pro app but had trouble connecting. So I switched the charger a 2nd network we have here at home. Both are 2.4 but the second network is Starlink and technically closer to the Garage. I did this switch in the standard Tesla app which has network controls.
  3. Once I got into the Tesla Pro app, I took the advice of @Tam and found the Access Controls setting. This involved setting this charger up in the Tesla Pro app. Perhaps that was my problem all along, an incomplete setup. When checking the Access Controls however, it was already set to All Vehicles. I tapped "All Vehicles" anyway and hit save.
  4. The Tesla Pro app was asking what amps the circuit had. Completing this 5 second form made a yellow alert in the Tesla Pro app disappear.

I then plug in at this point using the built in adapter and it worked! The light goes blue, a few seconds pass, and I hear the electrical parts click. The Rivian displayed charging speeds of 20mph. This really is a dream charger when you have more than just a Tesla to plug in.

OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Well - I spoke too soon - I came back after using a fast charger (not sure if this is the issue) - still had my range set to 400 - going on trip tomorrow - and the universal did not work - reset it again after it didn't work when plugging in - and nothing now. The Tesla Tap works with it with no issues - so I have a workaround - really confused - thought I had it - when I use the Tesla Tap it goes blue - and charges - but nothing with the magic doc connector now. Annoyed.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
There were some problems like this with the Tesla Universal Connector when it was first released a few months ago. I though Tesla developed a fix for them. I know they replaced quite a few forum members' units. Perhaps this is what you are seeing too.

EDIT: Read this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ll-connector-doesnt-charge-the-rivian.313754/

Skip to the end - it seems there's a known firmware problem and Tesla support will have to push a different version of firmware to your charger.

Last edited:

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

@VSG is correct. I was one of several folks that had the exact same issue as OP. It was resolved by contacting Tesla via chat and asking them to push a special firmware with the name ...

HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb

Tesla seems to be aware of this issue. Contact them via chat and ask for this firmware.

Sponsored

OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Will call tomorrow

HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb

OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
In the HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb the latest on the site 23.8.2 or 23.9.0? I can’t find the 23.9.0 on the Tesla firmware site?

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

AFAIK, the HEAD firmware is not available online. Gotta chat with Tesla to have them shoot it over to your TUWC.

OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
So - yep - fixed today with Tesla staff back at it in 2024

How to fix your Tesla Universal Wall Charger when it won't charge your Non-tesla or Rivian?

Call 8779617652 - Tesla Home Charging Team #3 on the menu

Told them it was this update: HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb

And I was trying to charge a non-Tesla - AKA Rivian R1S

They knew exactly the issue - asked for the TPN and TSN on the charger or on the leaflet that came with the charger.

Told me to wait an hour - I waited 2. Then I turned the power breaker off and on again. Plugged it in - green light charging. Will obviously check back if it only works this time but - that's progress.

Chengo888

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just installed my Tesla Universal and seem to have the same issue. I tried everything to troubleshoot the issue from seeing if it was the adapter using the Tesla>j1772>Tesla adapters (which charged my Tesla), reset the unit through the web, to trying everything here https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting.

I will try calling the number you provided to see if that fixes it.

Sponsored

derichio02

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla Model S
I just installed my Tesla Universal and seem to have the same issue. I tried everything to troubleshoot the issue from seeing if it was the adapter using the Tesla>j1772>Tesla adapters (which charged my Tesla), reset the unit through the web, to trying everything here https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting.

I will try calling the number you provided to see if that fixes it.
I called on Friday and they fixed it immediately. Didnt even have to gove them the sw version as the already knew what the issue was. Was only a 10 minute phone call max.

Chengo888

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I called on Friday and they fixed it immediately. Didnt even have to gove them the sw version as the already knew what the issue was. Was only a 10 minute phone call max.
Contacted the 877 number today and support pushed the firmware. All good. The guy on the call knew immediately what he needed to do and told me to check in an hour.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Logged in a ticket within the Tesla app. They pushed firmware and after a circuit breaker reset all was good.
Sponsored