Sponsored

The great Chicago Tesla debacle has defeated my father in-law's Rivian ideas... [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So we've had our R1S since 9/30. The first time my in-laws rode in it, my FIL was so impressed, he put down a deposit. As you know, they are pretty much available now, but they do live in Fargo...which does cause some issues, although they'll move to the Twin Cities someday in the future.

Outside of the distance from an SC, he informed me today, after seeing the stories about cold weather, he's going to go forward with a new Lexas GX instead of the RIvian. I recieved no less than 4 or 5 texts messages from both my dad, FIL, and friends about the Tesla story. Of course nobody actually dove into why it really happened, or tried to understand it.

Anyways, I'm just curious if others have ran into this over the last few weeks with the cold? I'm not trying to force anyone into an EV, but if you're interested in one, put a deposit down, and get spooked by overblown headlines, I feel like its my job to help :)
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You can't fix stupid.
In many cases its stupidity. No doubt. In some, it's just not the correct information, which I believe is partly up to us, as EV users, to help with. I've told people who are in the new car market, ask me whatever you want to learn about EVs if you think you might want one.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
In many cases its stupidity. No doubt. In some, it's just not the correct information, which I believe is partly up to us, as EV users, to help with. I've told people who are in the new car market, ask me whatever you want to learn about EVs if you think you might want one.
When given the correct information if you don't adjust your perspective you're at least ignorant if not outright stupid. I've debated with these sort of people before, and they are frustratingly stupid. Some people just don't want to learn and there's nothing that can be done about it.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

When given the correct information if you don't adjust your perspective you're at least ignorant if not outright stupid. I've debated with these sort of people before, and they are frustratingly stupid. Some people just don't want to learn and there's nothing that can be done about it.
The arguments I've had this week on a couple other forums, are proof to what you're saying.

In the case of my FIL, he's very smart (anesthesiologist) but also a bit on the conservative side. They also really love the multiple Lexus vehicles they've had and he's wanted a GX for a while. A lot of people who haven't experienced DC charging in an EV, or how the vehicle tells you when to charge, etc, simply don't understand. Especially Tesla's and really how easy they are to road trip with.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Ok ok. Just read about it on the interwebs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ok ok. Just read about it on the interwebs
Its all over the place. Local Chicago stations covered it then it went national and of course all over social media. So much misinformation regarding it as well.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
My 77 year old father just sold his diesel F250 and is committed to buy an EV. He read the Chicago stories, asked me about them, I explained, and it did not change his decision to dive into the EV world.

And he’s someone who has never liked auto climate control because he wanted to be the one to control the air. It’s going to be an adventure. Thankfully after years of being his Mac and iPhone tech support I can now be his EV tech support and tell him just to reboot his car!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I got approached by a stranger in a parking lot a few days ago who wanted to ask about my T and was very impressed with how it looked and what I told him about my experience so far, then at the end he brought up that story as the reason he would “never” own an EV🤦🏼‍♂️

I looked at him like he was an escaped mental patient and politely said I need to get going. When I was younger I would have tried to nicely explain why that story should not be taken at face value, etc., but I’m done wasting my energy on these people. Ultimately if someone is so easily influenced by misinformation, they probably should not buy an EV because they will not appreciate it for what it is. Let them figure it out on their own…

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I got approached by a stranger in a parking lot a few days ago who wanted to ask about my T and was very impressed with how it looked and what I told him about my experience so far, then at the end he brought up that story as the reason he would “never” own an EV🤦🏼‍♂️

I looked at him like he was an escaped mental patient and politely said I need to get going. When I was younger I would have tried to nicely explain why that story should not be taken at face value, etc., but I’m done wasting my energy on these people. Ultimately if someone is so easily influenced by misinformation, they probably should not buy an EV because they will not appreciate it for what it is. Let them figure it out on their own…
Yup. Then they will be on here with another "nightmare" story about a 2mm panel gap and a floor mat that doesn't fit correctly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.