First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Indeed, I think my step-dad was speeding through Sonoyta and they got us around where the red cross donation people set up before you hit the highway. My Step dad is also fluent in Spanish so super glad for that because my wife and I don't speak spanish at all lol
Ahhh yes yes, that random little ā€œstop signā€ by the Red Cross donation. I keep it at 40 km/h until the highway picks up about a mile and a half later. Then itā€™s flat out if I have plenty of range. In my previous fast ICE car era, that was a flat out 150+ mph cruise-control highway.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

What ID are they asking for now? I had told they'd gone to passports but not sure? I have a green card and US license of course, but not passport. I should get down there again.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yeah, itā€™s the trap for Americans going down to Rocky Point haha.

I think if I had the 21ā€ road tires, Iā€™d be fine making it in one go. Itā€™s tough going slower and hoping there arenā€™t any wind speeds to increase range loss. Maybe Iā€™ll upgrade to the 400 mile R1 eventuallyā€¦ that said, the house we go to is about another hour south of Rocky Point, approximately 55 miles of roadway, then 10 miles of dirt roads. Sometimes theyā€™re littered with mud so that can be a ā€œdragā€ :p
Going the speed limit, and using the slower-speed-but-shorter-distance route, we made it no problem in our Quad-Large with 20" ATs. Started at 100% in Green Valley, (thanks Jim Click Ford for the quite reasonably priced ChargePoint station,) up I-19 to Valencia Rd, Valencia over to AZ-86. That to AZ-85 at Why, down to the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, MX-8 all the way to PeƱasco.

Between the shorter distance and the no-charging-stop-needed, it was probably faster than the other way. IIRC, we had about 80 miles of range left arriving at Playa Bonita.

OP
OP
electricRaptor

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Going the speed limit, and using the slower-speed-but-shorter-distance route, we made it no problem in our Quad-Large with 20" ATs. Started at 100% in Green Valley, (thanks Jim Click Ford for the quite reasonably priced ChargePoint station,) up I-19 to Valencia Rd, Valencia over to AZ-86. That to AZ-85 at Why, down to the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, MX-8 all the way to PeƱasco.

Between the shorter distance and the no-charging-stop-needed, it was probably faster than the other way. IIRC, we had about 80 miles of range left arriving at Playa Bonita.
Thatā€™s awesome! If we were near Rocky Point, Iā€™d continue using that same route via Ajo like you described. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you like being in the middle of nowhere), itā€™s a risk driving the extra 68 miles down MX-3 to ā€œ15 de Septiembreā€ including west from there for 9ish miles on a dirt road to risk getting stuck out there.

Rivian R1T R1S Tucson, AZ to Playa Palomas, Sonora, Mexico IMG_2326

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Oh, that's a lot further. For some reason I thought you mentioned Playa Encanto, which would have been perfectly reasonable on one go. That's definitely a long enough extra distance to be "probably possible, but pucker-including with anything that lessens efficiency."

Sponsored

OP
OP
electricRaptor

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Oh, that's a lot further. For some reason I thought you mentioned Playa Encanto, which would have been perfectly reasonable on one go. That's definitely a long enough extra distance to be "probably possible, but pucker-including with anything that lessens efficiency."
I was definitely sweating bullets towards the endā€¦ when I left Tucson, Rivian nav on my phone suggested Iā€™d arrive with 62 miles. When I arrived with 28 miles, it was like Kevin Costner seeing land for the first time in WaterWorld šŸ˜‚

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I was definitely sweating bullets towards the endā€¦ when I left Tucson, Rivian nav on my phone suggested Iā€™d arrive with 62 miles. When I arrived with 28 miles, it was like Kevin Costner seeing land for the first time in WaterWorld šŸ˜‚
I had that a few times on the other parts of my trip - my drive down to Tucson said I'd arrive at the EA at the outlet mall with 50 miles of range (towing a trailer.) I pulled in "turtle mode" limited to 25 MPH, and plugged in with it saying 1 mile of range left. Of course, once I was close enough to Tucson to know the guess-o-meter was leading me astray, it was far too late, and that EA was the next possible charging. So I slowed to 55 MPH on I-10 for the last hour, with AC off! Thank goodness it was 11 PM in October, and my wife was asleep to avoid freaking out. (She's always paranoid about running out of charge. I haven't done it yet!)

Thankfully, the software update that hit while we were in Mexico seems to have made the towing range estimates *MUCH* better. (No, we didn't tow to Mexico. DEFINITELY no charging in appropriate places when towing. We'd had to have stopped for an overnight charge in Ajo each way.)
Sponsored