lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey All! Took delivery of my R1T a couple weeks ago!

How long did you have to wait until your Vermont registration came through?
I think it was roughly 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly. It was well within the time of the temp registration for me. Although others had it cut closer but I haven't heard of anyone going past the deadline in VT.

The one thing I almost missed however was the deadline on getting the truck inspected. Don't be like me and forget that part!
Sponsored

Cleanwatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier, Rivian R1T
Oh yup, that completely got lost in all the excitement. Haven't been thinking about inspections.

They need to see full registration though right, I can't get it done with temp tags?

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Oh yup, that completely got lost in all the excitement. Ha can't been thinking about inspections.

They need to see full registration though right, I can't get it done with temp tags?

Thanks for the heads up!
You can't get it inspected w/ the temp Illinois tag, but once you get the VT plates w/ the validated registration application back you can use that to get it inspected. You don't have to wait for the registration sticker and registration card.

Cleanwatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still waiting for Vermont registration to come through...I have a couple weeks left on the temp tags. Getting a little nervous.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Still waiting for Vermont registration to come through...I have a couple weeks left on the temp tags. Getting a little nervous.
It might be worth checking in w/ your guide to make sure there isn't some other hold-up.

Sponsored

Cleanwatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guide has been largely absent from the beginning, and is now on PTO.

I bugged the generic CS rep in chat, and eventually got another guide to look into it for me. They emailed yesterday saying the ETA was 2/16. Then, I simultaneously got a letter from the state yesterday saying:

"...to inform you that we are delaying issuance of your Registration / Title. It is necessary to obtain further information from the dealer from whom you acquired the vehicle before we can process your application."

I'd hoped this only would've happened to the first Rivian registered in the state, but it seems to be an ongoing issue now. Going to give DMV a call and push back on Rivian.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

My guide has been largely absent from the beginning, and is now on PTO.

I bugged the generic CS rep in chat, and eventually got another guide to look into it for me. They emailed yesterday saying the ETA was 2/16. Then, I simultaneously got a letter from the state yesterday saying:

"...to inform you that we are delaying issuance of your Registration / Title. It is necessary to obtain further information from the dealer from whom you acquired the vehicle before we can process your application."

I'd hoped this only would've happened to the first Rivian registered in the state, but it seems to be an ongoing issue now. Going to give DMV a call and push back on Rivian.
Good luck!

I think it'd have been much easier if they had given buyer's the option to self register.

Cleanwatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally got my plates & registration yesterday. My temporary plates had expired, and Rivian arranged a rental car for me to use until documentation arrived which was a helpful move, considering I didn't want to drive on expired tags.

Got my inspection done by Vermont Tire & Service on Route 2 in Montpelier. Advice from a fellow VT owner led me to them they've seen several R1Ts already and have the puck system in hand if they need to get it on a lift. Would recommend using them in the future.

OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Finally got my plates & registration yesterday. My temporary plates had expired, and Rivian arranged a rental car for me to use until documentation arrived which was a helpful move, considering I didn't want to drive on expired tags.

Got my inspection done by Vermont Tire & Service on Route 2 in Montpelier. Advice from a fellow VT owner led me to them they've seen several R1Ts already and have the puck system in hand if they need to get it on a lift. Would recommend using them in the future.
it's been is my understanding that if they have a lift they shouldn't need the pucks. The pucks are more for jacks i thought

edit: nm

Last edited:

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

it's been is my understanding that if they have a lift they shouldn't need the pucks. The pucks are more for jacks i thought
My understanding is that if you don't have the pucks then you need to remove one of the underbody panels in order to put it on the lift. The pucks make it so you don't have to remove that underbody panel as they fit into holes in said panel.

Sponsored

DRIVIAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2020 BMW X3 Xdrive30e
Occupation
Business Strategy Consulting
Clubs

How long did the whole process take? I can see when you got your plates, but not when you got the truck. I picked up my R1T on the 7th of March and am trying to calibrate my expectations. Thanks from Brookfield VT.

Cleanwatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey @danobvt! I'm right up the road from you in Northfield. I've got the Limestone R1T if you see me cruising.

I took delivery of the truckl 11/30/22, plates received on 3/8/23. The temp IL plates had expired by 10ish days by the time I received plates/registration.

Hopefully Rivian (or whoever they contracted for registration work) learned a lesson from their mistake on mine, and you should be all set well within the 90 day temp plate window.

DRIVIAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Hey @danobvt! I'm right up the road from you in Northfield. I've got the Limestone R1T if you see me cruising.

I took delivery of the truckl 11/30/22, plates received on 3/8/23. The temp IL plates had expired by 10ish days by the time I received plates/registration.

Hopefully Rivian (or whoever they contracted for registration work) learned a lesson from their mistake on mine, and you should be all set well within the 90 day temp plate window.
My plates and registration application paperwork showed up on Friday. So the process has gone from over 3 months for you to under three weeks for me. I hope to catch up with you at some point. I'm going for my inspection at VT Tire & Service in Montpelier on Wednesday. Someone in this string mentioned them. If it was you thanks for the heads up.

DRIVIAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Hello Vermonting Vermonters. A couple of weeks ago, a contractor's trailer door swung into the right rear quarter of my R1T, scratching it. I'm looking for autobody suggestions in the Brookfield/Randolph area. I'm not opposed to travel, so if you've got a recommendation, let me know. Thanks, Dan

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Hi folks, I'm starting to look at the Vermont DMV info for moving registration over, and there are so many confusing questions.

It was asked before her, does anyone understand the truck and fuel classification?
Can anyone see what weights and fuel rivian put on their DMV form?

It seems to me anything over 7k lbs is a truck and there is no EV registration pricing, you get hit with both environmental fees and the higher price for other fuel?
Sponsored