Sponsored

Who is excited about Cybertruck?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sure it was. The gasoline powered crew cab F150 is also the same length as the Lightning.

The Cybertruck isn't any longer than either the ICE or EV F150, so... Gotcha šŸ˜‰

It's simply incorrect to say the Cybertruck is larger than ANY comparable F150.
I'm not sure which F150 model you're referring to, but I checked their web site (2023 Ford F-150Ā® Truck | Available Models) and they don't have any models listed that measure longer than 227.7 in...

Rivian R1T R1S Who is excited about Cybertruck? 1666804635961
Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Musk actually said later they decided not to shrink it at all. But I accept your point that we don't actually know what the final specs are. I said as much on the first page of this thread. I also posted a photo from that dumb tug-o-war stunt where it looks pretty big compared to a full size truck.

"Best selling" doesn't really tell the whole story, does it? Many people don't want or need a full size truck. Many do. But to have the polarizing design *AND* the size I think will work against it. I could be very wrong though. America does love big trucks LOL
I really does look much larger in that photo. I can't explain that. Would anyone be surprised if Tesla fudged the numbers and listed aspirational dimensions while exhibiting a larger prototype? Seems very on brand to me. In the end, they're clearly targeting the heart of the truck market and it's highly unlikely they will release a vehicle that deviates significantly in size from what's popular today. I doubt they will hit the range or price targets they initially claimed but I don't see why they would make it unreasonably large.

You're right that America loves big trucks and manufacturers are in a competition to see how outrageously butch they can make their trucks look for all the cosplay cowboys out there. It's practically parody at this point. It's like they're having a competition to see how many children they can hide in the blind spot under the ridiculous hoods they're tacking on these behemoths. At least where I live, the amount of overcompensating jacked up brodozers is out of control. That's why I think the CT styling will be a massive hit. In the "mine's bigger than yours" willy waving competition I see out on the streets every day here, I think the local bros are going to feel mighty inadequate next to the stainless, "bulletproof" Cybertruck. The fact that it's stupidly fast, electric, and from Texas will drive them nuts. Of course it's ugly and outrageous. That's exactly the point.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I don't see why CT, as a two row vehicle with a 6 foot beed, would be extremely long. It should be more space efficient than an F150.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I really does look much larger in that photo. I can't explain that. Would anyone be surprised if Tesla fudged the numbers and listed aspirational dimensions while exhibiting a larger prototype? Seems very on brand to me. In the end, they're clearly targeting the heart of the truck market and it's highly unlikely they will release a vehicle that deviates significantly in size from what's popular today. I doubt they will hit the range or price targets they initially claimed but I don't see why they would make it unreasonably large.

You're right that America loves big trucks and manufacturers are in a competition to see how outrageously butch they can make their trucks look for all the cosplay cowboys out there. It's practically parody at this point. It's like they're having a competition to see how many children they can hide in the blind spot under the ridiculous hoods they're tacking on these behemoths. At least where I live, the amount of overcompensating jacked up brodozers is out of control. That's why I think the CT styling will be a massive hit. In the "mine's bigger than yours" willy waving competition I see out on the streets every day here, I think the local bros are going to feel mighty inadequate next to the stainless, "bulletproof" Cybertruck. The fact that it's stupidly fast, electric, and from Texas will drive them nuts. Of course it's ugly and outrageous. That's exactly the point.
I agree 100% on the attitude and it's symptoms. I just disagree on how CT will be received by those bros... I doubt the average coal-roller will be converted to buy electric by the CT or an R1T or even an F150 Lightning. In the end, as much as I personally hate Musk and think CT is ugly and dysfunctional, I'm rooting for every EV to succeed. It's the only way things will change.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm not sure which F150 model you're referring to, but I checked their web site (2023 Ford F-150Ā® Truck | Available Models) and they don't have any models listed that measure longer than 227.7 in...

1666804635961.png
Those are 2 door trucks. Compare the crew cab F150s for an apples to apples comparison.

Rivian R1T R1S Who is excited about Cybertruck? Screenshot_2022-10-26-12-43-53-98_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2

In order to get an F150 the length of a Cybertruck, you have to choose the shorter 5.5 ft bed. If you want an F150 with a comparable cab and bed to the Cybertruck, you would have to buy a crew cab with 6.5 ft bed, which is about 11 inches longer than the Cybertruck.

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I agree 100% on the attitude and it's symptoms. I just disagree on how CT will be received by those bros... I doubt the average coal-roller will be converted to buy electric by the CT or an R1T or even and F150 Lightning. In the end, as much as I personally hate Musk and think CT is ugly and dysfunctional, I'm rooting for every EV to succeed. It's the only way things will change.
We're on the same page. I agree that most initial CT customers won't be coal rolling converts. The CEO of Ford said 70% of Lighting customers are both new to Ford and new to the truck segment. I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar numbers for Tesla. We're going to get a whole new class of California cowboys showing off at the Whole Foods. It will take a long time before the coal rollers move to EVs but I'm betting there are enough truck curious folks out there to sell out every truck EV production line for years.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
We're on the same page. I agree that most initial CT customers won't be coal rolling converts. The CEO of Ford said 70% of Lighting customers are both new to Ford and new to the truck segment. I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar numbers for Tesla. We're going to get a whole new class of California cowboys showing off at the Whole Foods. It will take a long time before the coal rollers move to EVs but I'm betting there are enough truck curious folks out there to sell out every truck EV production line for years.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I could certainly be wrong about who is interested in the CT. There was a poll on the Lightning owners forum that showed 11% of reservation holders (in that forum) were also Tesla owners. That could mean a few things as I see it.

1. Tesla owners are tiring of Tesla and Musk, etc.

And/or 2. Tesla owners don't care for the design of the CT but want an EV truck.

And/ or 3. Tesla owners are totally ok with the size of the F150 and want it for other reasons.

https://electrek.co/2021/11/17/ford...ting-an-interesting-mix-ev-tesla-owners-more/

hugebob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
If Tesla made an SUV version of the CT, I could learn to like it.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
still not excited. no way it will be produced in high volumes for <60k like some here claim.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

LOL to all of this. ā€œJacked up brodozersā€ for sure. Lots of those dudes donā€™t much care for the Rivian and they like it even less when they try to race me.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No four wheel steering? That turning radius is going to be atrocious.
Elon said it was getting rear wheel steering and it's been demoed on one of the prototypes. No one will know for sure until we start seeing initial deliveries and journalist reviews.

Rivian R1T R1S Who is excited about Cybertruck? 1666820339045

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

LOL to all of this. ā€œJacked up brodozersā€ for sure. Lots of those dudes donā€™t much care for the Rivian and they like it even less when they try to race me.
Whatever you say, granola muncher. ;)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is why Rivian needs to do the R1X, so I can still humiliate those guys.
Sponsored