Sponsored

Window Tint differences between dyed, metalized, carbon vs. ceramic tints? Local laws?

Caroline

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hey, I'm getting into the world of car window tints, and it's a bit overwhelming. Can someone help me understand the differences between dyed, metalized, carbon, and ceramic tints? I'm searching for the one that can handle hot summer days and protect my car's interior from the sun.

Now, about style ā€“ do these tints give a car a specific look? What should I think about if I want my ride to make an impression while staying cool and protected?

And one more thing: Are there any local rules or regulations regarding window tints? I'd like to make sure I'm following the law while enjoying the perks of tinted windows.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Every state has different laws regarding tint so look yours up. I've always had illegal tint and have never had an issue. Pretty much everyone here in Florida has dark tint but this will vary by area.

Dyed tint is only good for privacy and offers little heat rejection. You definitely don't want metallic tint. This is cheap and interferes with cellular, gps, and radio signals.

If you're getting tint more for heat rejection properties than privacy, then go with Ceramic. This will give you the best heat rejection. Carbon is also great but not as much heat rejection as ceramic.

I've had both carbon and ceramic on my vehicles and don't know if I can really tell a difference.

Each manufacturer has a different type of hue, so look around and see what you like best.

I looked at Xpel, Llumar, and SunTek, and my personal preference was Llumar. I felt it had a more grey hue rather than green, brown or blue as some other films.

I did Llumar Ceramic on my R1S and R1T. The R1S was $420 for all around, and $180 for the windshield, and another $200 for the glass roof.

ajmriv

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV80, R1S
I can just comment on the fact I have done standard high quality dyed tint on my previous cars. Reality is it did not block any heat.

I decided to go with ceramic (86% UV block) on the R1S as I felt like I was being booked alive down here in Florida. Long story short it has made a dramatic difference. I also have noticed about a 10% increase in miles per kWh as I don't think the AC is having to work nearly as hard.

In terms of shade, I had the fronts match the rears (25%). Rears + rear windscreen in clear ceramic and I also did the front windscreen in a lighter tint that did not scream pull me over šŸ˜‚. Tint on the fronts is legal. Front is not supposed to have tint in Florida so could have gone clear ceramic, but as long as it is not completely blacked out cops down here don't care.

I did 86% as the shop owner was super honest and explained he had 99% on his car but prior he had 86%. Yes it makes a difference but not massively over the 86%. He basically said if you park every day directly in the sun like he does 99% is great. If you park in a garage/ car port/have shade do the 86%. Tint came with a 12 yr warranty. Total cost was $610.

Final thing is there is another benefit to ceramic. It reduces you UV exposure which reduces your risk of skins cancers and melanomas which for the extra 50% cost over standard dyed film is worth IMHO.

Before and after pics attached.

Rivian R1T R1S Window Tint differences between dyed, metalized, carbon vs. ceramic tints? Local laws? IMG_2217

Rivian R1T R1S Window Tint differences between dyed, metalized, carbon vs. ceramic tints? Local laws? IMG_2223

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Every state has different laws regarding tint so look yours up. I've always had illegal tint and have never had an issue. Pretty much everyone here in Florida has dark tint but this will vary by area.

Dyed tint is only good for privacy and offers little heat rejection. You definitely don't want metallic tint. This is cheap and interferes with cellular, gps, and radio signals.

If you're getting tint more for heat rejection properties than privacy, then go with Ceramic. This will give you the best heat rejection. Carbon is also great but not as much heat rejection as ceramic.

I've had both carbon and ceramic on my vehicles and don't know if I can really tell a difference.

Each manufacturer has a different type of hue, so look around and see what you like best.

I looked at Xpel, Llumar, and SunTek, and my personal preference was Llumar. I felt it had a more grey hue rather than green, brown or blue as some other films.

I did Llumar Ceramic on my R1S and R1T. The R1S was $420 for all around, and $180 for the windshield, and another $200 for the glass roof.
I did Llumar ceramic also. Happy so far. I would talk to a few reputable tint places and that will help you make an informative decision. Cheers.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Dyed, Metallic, Carbon and Ceramic, in that order, offer least to most amount of IR energy (heat) rejection.

Metallic automotive window film isnā€™t as common anymore, but still exists. Regardless, Iā€™d stay away from it.

You need to ask yourself WHY youā€™re tinting glass. If you want the fronts to match the rear, get a dyed or carbon film. If you want heat rejection, youā€™ll need to step to a ceramic window film and cover at a minimum, all side and rear glass. I would also argue that the windshield be covered in order to justify the use of ceramic.

Check out this post here I wrote for Window Film on the Model Y Subreddit. If you have any questions, reply here or drop me a DM. Iā€™ve helped a few members here with tint questions and selections.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/11qgyvh/all_things_window_tint/

Sponsored

MikeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S and 2023 R1T
Occupation
Attorney
Dyed, Metallic, Carbon and Ceramic, in that order, offer least to most amount of IR energy (heat) rejection.

Metallic automotive window film isnā€™t as common anymore, but still exists. Regardless, Iā€™d stay away from it.

You need to ask yourself WHY youā€™re tinting glass. If you want the fronts to match the rear, get a dyed or carbon film. If you want heat rejection, youā€™ll need to step to a ceramic window film and cover at a minimum, all side and rear glass. I would also argue that the windshield be covered in order to justify the use of ceramic.

Check out this post here I wrote for Window Film on the Model Y Subreddit. If you have any questions, reply here or drop me a DM. Iā€™ve helped a few members here with tint questions and selections.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/11qgyvh/all_things_window_tint/
What are your thoughts on using ceramic on the glass roof for heat rejection? I have heard some people on here say that it will cause the glass to crack/burst due to the heat being reflected/deflected back to the glass.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What are your thoughts on using ceramic on the glass roof for heat rejection? I have heard some people on here say that it will cause the glass to crack/burst due to the heat being reflected/deflected back to the glass.
I hear that but haven't seen a post confirming that someone had actually had the roof crack/burst. I'm going to see how things fair next summer and might put ceramic or something else on the outside.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I personally donā€™t recommend it, primarily due to the expense. Many shops charge $300+ just for the roof. For about $50, you can get a sunshade that does a fantastic job at helping lower cabin temperature by blocking light from contacting the interior.

Regarding cracked roof glass, this typically happens when tinted with a darker shade high performance nano ceramic undergoes a rapid temperature change. Most cases are from a vehicle being in a hot climate, under full sun exposure, and ground temp or colder water contacting and shocking the roof glass; typically from a car wash or sprinkler. Itā€™s not common, but can happen. Some shops wonā€™t tint roof glass strictly due to liability.

High performance nano ceramic film both rejects and absorbs IR energy. The tint will reflect IR energy right back into the roof glass, AND act as an insulation barrier on the cabin side, due the absorbed heat. These types of films will also produce a radiating effect in the cabin on a hot sunny day; youā€™ll feel heat from the film on your skin.

I hear that but haven't seen a post confirming that someone had actually had the roof crack/burst. I'm going to see how things fair next summer and might put ceramic or something else on the outside.
Automotive window film always goes on the cabin side of glass.
Sponsored