Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello my dudes!

This post is going to be a bit different than the threads I normally make. Generally, I post about products that are done and dusted / ready to sell. Today, it's an early peek at something that I've been working on a for a bit because I really want to get feedback on it. I'm working on a tow mirror adapter setup for the R1T and R1S. This adapter would allow the Rampage Tow Mirror Extensions to fit on the outside of the stock Rivian mirrors.

Rivian R1T R1S Work In Progress: Tow Mirror Adapter 179828

For those who don't know, these mirrors are pretty much a commodity at this point. They are very likely the most common tow mirrors for the Jeep JK and have been adapted to a variety of other products because of how versatile and basic they are. "Black box strapped to black box."

Now, the Rivian is a significantly rounded rear view mirror that also happens to move when locked and unlocked, so a simple adapter won't work. I ended up taking a 3D scan of the mirror and using it as a base to essentially mold the adapter around.

Here is where we currently stand:

Rivian R1T R1S Work In Progress: Tow Mirror Adapter IMG_2071.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Work In Progress: Tow Mirror Adapter IMG_2067.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Work In Progress: Tow Mirror Adapter IMG_2068.JPG

There is still a ton to do here:
  • The mirror extension mount at the end of the OEM mirror needs revised for additional stability.
  • The angle of the mirror extension need to be adjusted. Right now it just looks at the rear door.
  • Screw holes may need added to better secure the mirror extension to the adapter, like in other adapters on the market for other vehicles.
  • Padding needs to be added.
  • All kinds of testing needs done to ensure stability and operation of camera and driving systems.

Finally, to be clear, this will absolutely be available as a free, open model once completed so you can 3D print it at little to no cost. We'll also be printing and selling these on OpenSource EV as well.

Feedback is very, very welcome.
Sponsored

pepperjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Very cool idea. I was imagining doing something similar (3d scan and print) but making a sleeve that goes over the whole mirror e.g. https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirrors/CIPA/CM11401.html I love the simplicity of your clip-on design and nylon/velcro. When I first looked at this I worried it might shimmy up & off at highway speeds, but I imagine the clip holds it in place pretty well. Have you had a chance to test at 70mph+?

Would you be willing to share the 3d scans of the mirrors?

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
Missed your initial post, but glad I saw this as I'm def interested as I fully intend to tow my travel trailer. I had the huge aftermarket tow mirrors on chevy (traded in for the R1T) and was already scanning Amazon or alternatives.

I also have a 3D printer so could help in that department if ness also.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Very cool idea. I was imagining doing something similar (3d scan and print) but making a sleeve that goes over the whole mirror e.g. https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirrors/CIPA/CM11401.html I love the simplicity of your clip-on design and nylon/velcro. When I first looked at this I worried it might shimmy up & off at highway speeds, but I imagine the clip holds it in place pretty well. Have you had a chance to test at 70mph+?

Would you be willing to share the 3d scans of the mirrors?
A whole surround is where I started as well, but I backed off after thinking through sourcing of the mirror component and shipping & sustainability realities. Ideally, someone can purchase the universal set for less than $50 and use it on multiple different vehicles or generations of vehicles. For instance, I'd like to make a similar adapter for the R2 or R3 when it arrives.

Testing is ongoing right now. There is a ton of work to be done on this yet as I'm not even remotely satisfied on what this product will look like.

I'll be posting the 3D model for the product for sure. I'm undecided on posting the mirror scan. It's my first go-round with it and it's really rough. I've had to compensate a LOT to ensure this fits correctly. If people are really intent on getting it, I can be swayed, but as of right now this thread has been posted for nearly a week and has garnered a total of two replies, so...

pepperjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have two of these CIPA 11980 clip-on mirrors that were worthless on my last tow vehicle (Audi Q5) as the part of the mirror it would clip onto is too wedge-shaped for the clip to get a grip. I was imagining some other way to reuse the bars & mirrors (and not thinking about launching a product at all). I agree with your sentiment of keeping cost low, but I've tried probably 4 different products at this point and spent hundreds of dollars on, let's say, suboptimal solutions. My camper trailer is w-i-d-e and I need mirrors to see around it.

Sponsored

kdcold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2011 Toyota 4Runner, 2013 Infiniti JX35
Occupation
Banking IT Software Services
I like it, Rob! I have some clip-ons something like this from a previous vehicle that I've strapped on in the garage and think are going to work for me, but won't know for sure until boating season comes around.
I like what you're doing here better, and would definitely consider yours to be an upgrade.
I'm a repeat customer you've taken good care of in the past, and might just be coming around in a few months to see if these made it into production.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I have two of these CIPA 11980 clip-on mirrors that were worthless on my last tow vehicle (Audi Q5) as the part of the mirror it would clip onto is too wedge-shaped for the clip to get a grip. I was imagining some other way to reuse the bars & mirrors (and not thinking about launching a product at all). I agree with your sentiment of keeping cost low, but I've tried probably 4 different products at this point and spent hundreds of dollars on, let's say, suboptimal solutions. My camper trailer is w-i-d-e and I need mirrors to see around it.
It's not necessarily about keeping costs low, it's about designing something that I can actually achieve and something, more importantly, that I would want to use.

So far, these install in like 15 seconds per side, look to function as expected, and don't look horrible. All of those are toward the top of the list for me.

If you're looking for something W-I-D-E, I think the option that you have is better. If you're looking for something more reasonable, it's probably good to keep this project in mind.

I like it, Rob! I have some clip-ons something like this from a previous vehicle that I've strapped on in the garage and think are going to work for me, but won't know for sure until boating season comes around.
I like what you're doing here better, and would definitely consider yours to be an upgrade.
I'm a repeat customer you've taken good care of in the past, and might just be coming around in a few months to see if these made it into production.
I've used those in the past, and I've hated them. :) They never really filled me with confidence that they would actually stay on my mostly-bubbly mirror.

Thanks for the kind words as well. :)

pepperjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@RWerksman how's the project going? I towed this weekend with my strap-on mirrors and kept thinking about how much I wish I had this better solution :)

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
It's still pending. It, unfortunately, was pushed down the priority list by something else that will likely be announced on Thursday. I have 2 more new product emails queued up after that, too - both of which are done and being tested fully now.

If all goes well, I would likely be looking for public testers this time next month.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Definitely interested to see this come to market. Towing my car hauler is a bit sketchy from the visibility standpoint.

pepperjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I know I asked this already, but if you have draft STLs or can share the 3D scans, I'd love to have a go at helping.
Sponsored