Sponsored

would you buy R1T again as of 3/25/2024?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I might.

I say I might is it really comes down to personal preferences for things like Motor Noise. Drive train noises, suspension noises, etc

My current R1T makes far too much noise. Mostly in drive train noise.

It's a 6XXX series VIN and I believe the later ones fixed most of the noise related issues. I also believe the dual-motor is typically quieter, but there have been exceptions.

So I guess I'd do so cautiously.

In terms of utility its the perfect vehicle for my use case. It really just falls short when it comes to refinement.

I did reserve the R2 as Rivian has the potential to make a great vehicle. It's just not my vehicle.
Sponsored

JAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would. Later builds are likely a little tighter than my early build. Wind noise is my only complaint.

If getting quick maintenance work done was important though, hard no. I haven't had to do anything critical but the 3 minor cosmetic issues I've had them look at has taken 1-3 months to get someone out each time.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
>>> would you buy R1T again as of 3/25/2024?

I would not buy again but I'll keep it until something with similar utility comes around.

I have beef with the entire driver experience. The placement of controls on stalks is not intuitive and not simple, vehicle access was poorly re-imagined and executed. Cruise has no resume and disengaging cruise is awkward. I really want to turn off the regen so I can coast more... seriously I miss coasting.

Too many unnecessary chimes/bells.

Feature-wise, spotify is tiresome, I miss satellite radio i.e. like actual satellite using a satellite antenna, and I miss carplay for Waze/ABRP, text messages, the not-coming-soon-enough Chick-fil-a app, and more.

It's true that software can fix a lot of things but software can't fix the stalks.

And vehicle access.... keyfob button presses are too slow to respond or don't register or I'm "too far away" from the car, and having this problem almost every time I begin an interaction with my car makes me hate it.

Yota2R1T

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Solar PV professional
Clubs

I would not buy again but I'll keep it until something with similar utility comes around.

I have beef with the entire driver experience. The placement of controls on stalks is not intuitive and not simple, vehicle access was poorly re-imagined and executed. Cruise has no resume and disengaging cruise is awkward. I really want to turn off the regen so I can coast more... seriously I miss coasting.

Feature-wise, spotify is tiresome, I miss satellite radio i.e. like actual satellite using a satellite antenna, and I miss carplay for Waze/ABRP, text messages, the not-coming-soon-enough Chick-fil-a app, and more.

It's true that software can fix a lot of things but software can't fix the stalks.

And vehicle access.... keyfob button presses are too slow to respond or don't register or I'm "too far away" from the car, and having this problem almost every time I begin an interaction with my car makes me hate it.
Holy sh*T, can't believe this Henry... What a review. I just took delivery last Friday and I am feeling so lucky to own this amazing piece of technology!
Getting used to the complete re-imagining of vehicle interface (coming from. 2008 Highlander) is an experience in itself. Yes, the signal stalk is a big piece of that!
I respect your personal take on the situation; but objectively this is an INCREDIBLE piece of machinery.
I mean, you cannot seriously hate this vehicle, can you?

OP
OP

abct

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, Wrangler 4xE, cherokee
Occupation
physician
Absolutely would buy again. We have almost 40k on ours and absolutely love it. We have had very few trips to the SC. Most have been accomplished in the parking lot at work. That said, they have been mostly recalls, nothing serious. My power cover even works like a champ. Also, you're in CT and the Shelton SC is coming soon (Less than an hour from me). I was told by the end of the year. 🤞

We've got an R2 deposit as well. Will be a Rivian family moving forward.
And then sometime in the distant future, perhaps I can get my hands on a skateboard to throw under '55? That sounds cool.

Here's another 🤞to keep the jinx away. I'll be back if anything bad happens and it will be your fault! 🤣
Thank you! will stay on track

Sponsored

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-I'd be looking at the dual motor or performance dual motor with large battery.
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A
Definitely yes, this is a solid truck that makes you forget you're in a truck until you need a truck. Even with max pack, 350 real world miles are a stretch in cool weather, might be ok for fishing, but on a cold skiing day, I don't think any EV truck/SUV will do 350 miles. For reference, I have gone 320 miles from 100% to near 0% SOC at around 30'F and 70 mph HWY, and easily 360 miles in 50'F.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Yes, absolutely. Especially at today's prices. By any measure I way overpaid at the peak frenzy, but am still happy to be in this vehicle, and I've owned many trucks, SUV's, uber SUV's, and heavily modded sports cars.

The only heads up suggestion is it is a huge advantage to be within convenient distance to a Rivian Service Center. Mine has taken care of any issues.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
R1S owner, pulling trigger on R1T before deadline.
YES would buy again (or lease)
No remorse
I believe they will survive
Could always buy used if depreciation is a concern.
Get the 20" & swap to 275/60 when they wear out or swap immediately for more efficiency.

Some good points were brought up. This is the best vehicle I have owned. Extremely versatile.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have had mine since mid 2022. Still love it. Would defintey buy again. Maybe I'd get the dual motor over the quad - not sure, but otherwise, I can't imagine I would do anything different.

The company will be around. It has a very solid foundation and R2 rolling out will be huge.

The only reason I won't be buying a 2nd R1T is so I can drive this one in to the ground and add an R3X as a daily.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
objectively this is an INCREDIBLE piece of machinery.
I mean, you cannot seriously hate this vehicle, can you?
oh I totally agree it is an incredible piece of machinery. Ridiculously capable. I do apologize for using the word hate; I try not to do that.

My gripes are largely ergonomic/human factor-type gripes. I don't like the experience. It is a big departure from my decades of driving experience.

I wanted to buy from an EV company like Rivian because I knew legacy automakers would bring their bad habits (and crappy infotainment) to the EV world. But I never expected that EV companies would reimagine/reinvent the things that the legacy automakers got right.

Like, I don't know who thought that mixing the drive stalk with the cruise functions was a good idea.

And legacy automakers had solid vehicle access paradigms but Rivian thought it was a good idea to reimagine vehicle access & make it worse - and then create a symmetric keyfob absent of any characteristics to help you orient the fob to know where the buttons are located. And when you find the buttons they are black-on-black.

Ok, hate is a strong word, so I'll say that vehicle access sours my mood every single time I interact with the car and all that sour adds up.

Sponsored

Kobra

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Hoping to retire soon
I would definitely buy again. Almost 2 years later and this truck still impresses me. I am always keeping an eye out for the competition to see what else is out there but to date I think this is the best vehicle on the market

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

I'm with you on the terrible UX experience with the stalks. They're not intuitive at all. In fact my GF accidently briefly turned off the lights at night when I was trying to get her to put the fog lights on. It was her first time driving the car, and I probably shouldn't have done that.

Better SW can fix the need to use the stalks though. Like a recent update of the autowipers enabled multiple settings so it makes it less likely that I'll need to use the stalks to change wiper frequency.

I'm fine with no car play, but I think companies that opt not to have car play need to really double down on improvements to Nav, apps, etc. Like they don't need car play to support Apple Music.

I believe Rivian will fix the vehicle access issues during the refresh. It's low hanging fruit that would be a significant improvement to the day to day experience with the vehicle. Like I have lock only set at home to avoid locking/unlocking with the fob constantly, but when I use the fob to unlock it the fob takes a second or two. By then I've hit the button twice. It's a HW issue so sadly I don't think existing owners will get much improvement.

I believe the utility this vehicle offers is really why people put up with the lack of refinement.

I think they really need someone at Rivian who is customer centric. Who really pushes the idea of designing features around the customer. For example the heated seats and heated steering wheel should automatically come on if they were on last time the vehicle was driven with the same profile. Obviously I don't want to hit three buttons every time I get in my vehicle to turn them all on again. Although they might quit if they take one look at the keyfob. :p

Last edited:

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
5th EV, 1st truck, loving it after 16 months and 20k miles. Would buy again, but most likely a dual motor. No gripes with the stalks at all, but to each his own. May buy a R2 when it comes out.

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-I'd be looking at the dual motor or performance dual motor with large battery.
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A

Totally, I will at some point replace my current quad with another quad. The truck is just that good.
Sponsored