Sponsored

would you buy R1T again as of 3/25/2024?

Windblade

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manager
I definitely purchase another R1S (if/when this one wears out ;-). That said, thinking about the R3 (X) as a 2nd car when it becomes available.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-I'd be looking at the dual motor or performance dual motor with large battery.
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A
Iā€™m a truck person. Would definitely buy again, but this time would go dual motor performance.

Donā€™t care about the stock. They either make it or they donā€™t. Worst case someone snaps them up to make money on the sunk costs of design, tooling, and user base.

Road tires are fine for snow, and limited mud. But if youā€™re going into something swampy or really, really slick, get proper tires for the occasion. Expect a 15% drop in range from proper ATs.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I would definitely buy another R1T though probably dual motor large pack. The 21ā€™s have been good to us but, at 17k miles they are almost ready for replacement.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Thoughts @abct -

• Yes, would buy R1T again - it was the best/coolest vehicle I've owned, despite some early build issues. I sold mine a bit too quickly, but was trying to minimize the loss I would take by reordering with the new pricing. I'm buying another R1T (dual motor, 21's) when the 'update' is done and they fix the automatic tonneau cover.

• If you are looking to buy, I'd recommend waiting another few months to see what has been ironed out in the updated product. Just keep in mind it might be more expensive than today's offering or have less features for the same price. No one knows at this point.

• The 20's handle much better than the 21's and if you plan to do any type of off-road driving, I wouldn't recommend the 21's. On road, I noticed the difference immediately. However, I prefer efficiency and range over everything else.

• No one can say whether or not Rivian will go out of business at this point but four thoughts:
    • Their latest product, R2, is getting tons of pre-orders. This will mean lots of additional $$$ investment to sustain the company until R2 can go into production in 2026.

• Rivian is cutting company spend and is narrowing their focus. This is a very good thing for cash flow.

• Rivian, unlike Lucid, had no issues selling vehicles prior to interest rates skyrocketing. Interest in the product/brand is there and sales will certainly improve when the lending market improves.

• By the time Rivian is in serious trouble of going out of business (at a minimum 18 months from now, with zero new investment and zero improvement in cost structure), they will have sold 120,000 - 150,000 cars to customers, excluding the delivery vans. The opportunity is there to earn $$$ in repairing these vehicles.
All in all, yes, it was an awesome truck, Rivian is going through growing pains but is figuring it out, I doubt bankruptcy is in the cards for several years in the worst case, and there's going to be so many Rivians on the road that private companies will pick up the slack if that were to happen.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Took delivery of my R1T 3/31/2023. ~12 months of ownership and >8,600 miles, daily driver and work truck. Zero concerns, zero "buyer's remorse". My old Chevy work truck had hit 250,000 miles and was at the point where something major was breaking every month. The constant stress, aggravation, and worry that any day would be "what now?" Had reservations down and was on the waiting list for Cybertruck, Silverado EV, a regular ICE Silverado, even Canoo truck. Rivian was able to get a truck in my driveway the fastest, and the unique storage locations (like the gear tunnel) are perfect for my tools. Really enjoy driving past the gas station and being able to spend more time at home with my family; waking up each morning to a "full tank".

Have lost "a bit" on my stock but that's a long term investment. Nobody should be looking at that and expecting to make money in the next 10 years. My Tesla stock is up 3000% from when I bought it (years and years ago, LOL). Hopefully Rivian will do the same, but even if stock stays flat I believe in th company and their mission. Would absolutely buy one of their vehicles again.

Forest Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
No. I miss my Defender (still have it, but my wife drives it now). I really like the R1T, but I don't love it. I would definitely buy another Rivian, but I'd get the R1S for my wife and I'd take the Defender back.

Sempervirens

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Ioniq 5 SE RWD
Unpopular opinion: At full retail (80-110k) unequivocal NO. (2023 R1S Adventure Quad on 22", 5,500mi as of 3/24)

I must be fun at parties right? I get a lot of questions on how do I like it. My answer is "I like it, but I do not love it". Given depreciation and the need for a 6-7 passenger vehicle we will keep it until there is a solution to swap it for something better, potentially at a heavy loss.

I have a lot of minor gripes, not any single item stands out. In comparison I have a 2024 Hyundai Ioniq SE, even though it is less featured, I love it.

Since I will be asked what I dislike:
  • Vampire Drain (3-5mi each night) Service can't or won't help. For personal reasons I don't charge at home. I went camping last week, lost 15mi parked at the campsite, I was in and out of the doors and tailgate over 20 times. Nuts to lose that much range for opening car (Guard was OFF).
    • A bit more color; I rarely pay for charging in my current situation. I have paid a total of $150 on road trips (this total cost is exclusively at DCFC chargers, as I generally get L2 free).
    • Electricity at home is very expensive (PGE $0.35-$0.60 per kw) so I just don't use it.
    • Our R1S has been on 4x 500+mi road trips and we are heading on a long one to Seattle in the near future.
    • It mostly does light commutes of 3-5mi/day otherwise.
  • Audio quality - not great, and I am no audiophile, playing with settings from recent thread.
  • Integration with smartphones/calendars/Messaging/apps (ABYSMAL)
  • Very loud/bumpy ride on rough pavement - perhaps this is the 22s (Not talking about gravel or intentional offroad, which is suitable)
  • Lots of noise from air suspension, click clack, compressor hum once a drive - not a deal breaker but slightly annoying for a car of this price.
  • Rear HVAC - does it even work?
  • SLOW rollout of better media options

So what it comes down to for me is value. Should I have bought the vehicle; hard no. But I did and now I live with the minor issues; but it wears on me that I got a poor value, so I can't love it. It is not lost on me that if I was gifted the car, would I feel differently (still pondering this).

That being said: I have a R2 reservation in, and very interested in the R3.

Last edited:

Sonoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I placed deposit in 5/23 and now I'm able to take delivery now. I have 5 months left on gladiator lease so I have time to wait.
-For R1T owners, would you buiy again? Any buyers remorse? I need a capable off road truck that can carry my fly fishing and ski gear, and kayaks when needed. (gear tunnel can hold skis and fishing gear). I need at least 10" ground clearance and 350 miles range. I'll rarely have to go much more than 150 miles at a time, but don't want to ever have range anxiety so I want at least 350 mile range to accomodate for battery losses in cold or hot weather. Rivian seems to be the only choice for me.
-Any concerns about the tanking stock price? If the company goes belly up, who will service the cars?
-I live 2 hours from the nearest service center for at least another year; is that a major concern?
-I heard there will be an overabundance of high end EVs this summer; any thoughts the R1T prices will drop further?
-looks like road tires give better mileage; are those tires ok for going off road in snow or mud?
Many thanks,
A
Yes

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Many thanks,
A
No. Not because of the product, but price. At post-hike prices and current economic conditions, from consumer POV, I wouldn't. Instead, I would get R2 or even R3X.

Nilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE (LAS/BM/20)
1) 100% would buy another R1T! Best vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned with the most superior automotive customer service Iā€™ve ever experienced. Mine delivered when Dealers were tacking on five-figure ADM$, many still are. Rivian stuck with ethics and delivered at originally-promised price. No other truck in the world can do what an R1 can do at an R1 price. Period.

Stick with a DM if you are really worried about 350mpc, and make sure your tires closely match your mission.

But donā€™t listen to just me, macro out and see 4 basically solid pages (so far) of enthusiastic YES-es.

2) No. Rivian is doing a lot of (prudent, but difficult) savvy things right now, and hiring the right people to fix the holes. RIVN often takes hits with the market sector and/or a large, unnamed competitor they donā€™t always deserve. Very compelling recent unveil of the Rivians-for-the-masses at an incredible price point, while massively reducing overhead, which will hopefully bring better liquidity and market cap. Definitely read thru the last yearā€™s worth of Quarterlies to feel the pulse.

3) Canā€™t comment too much personally, beyond the fact that the service from my local RSC (Houston) has been spectacular, both in my driveway and onsite.

4) Doubt it. No major swings, anyway.

5) Great call.

6) Dig into this forum, a ton of great testimonials in all kinds of environments. Also, a lot of owners documenting their extensive due diligence on their non-OEM tire replacements. Very helpful, great metric conversations between minds way smarter than mine.

7) I know you didnā€˜t list a 7, but Iā€™m adding a few things a chorus of owners feel Rivian could be doing better, full disclosure:
- RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) fast-charging buildout is waaaaay behind, and communication has been lacking on any kind of solid timeline to catch up, especially regional rollout. To Rivianā€™s credit, they made a great decision to sign up for Supercharger compatibility, and (again) made a great ethical decision to comp the (NACS>CCS) adapters current owners will soon receive. For most Texan owners, weā€™re *very* eager to have a reliable fast-charger network we can road trip on in a timely manner.
- Rivian Media/Nav OS. Meridian sound system is AMAZING *but* still no CarPlay or Android Auto, both far superior products to Rivianā€™s imho (there is a 3rd party workaround, see forum). Integrated app releases are behind, esp Amazon Music, which goes offline too often. When this happens, I have no dedicated (native) backup to Alexa commands until I do a manual reset, choking off my Amazon Music and hands-free. Native Google Maps would be AMAZING, both for better imagery as well as traffic estimates. Native Rivian Navigation is improving, but still far behind the competition. For example, the satellite image of my local area was *at least* 5 years old as of delivery date (2Q22), which my daughter pointed out when our pool ā€œdisappeared.ā€ Despite a number of requests to both Rivian & directly to the 3rd party imaging vendor, our satellite mapping has never been updated locally. So now itā€™s at least 7 years old and weā€™re often driving along major highways in fields. šŸ˜‚
-One more late edit, still no V2H capability. This vehicle was marketed to be able to back up your home (at >15A) in the event of power outage similar to a generator, and this capability still doesnā€™t exist. Very little communication on if/when this important feature will roll out. At a minimum, I think Rivian should be offering an adapter from the CCS port (or R1T bed) that allows for 30A+ draw, preferably 50A to run AC units. Anyone that purchased an R1 for power backup or to tow and fully power a camper/trailer in silence is quite eager for this capability or at least a timeline on this feature.

My 3 biggest grinds among hundreds of GREATS in this truck. All that said, Iā€™d buy R1 again in a heartbeat. And love that Rivian is still building/pricing the truck within the tax credit guidelines. Still providing data connectivity free of charge (again, great ethics), against the backdrop of my wifeā€˜s similarly-priced new Toyota (and most other brands) that just cut us off after 30 days. But offer CarPlay. šŸ˜

Good luck! If you choose Rivian, I bet youā€™ll love it.

Last edited:

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The R1T, when I got mine they had no option to get a spare, people were buying up old dodge ram 20inch rims and putting a tire on them to use for spare as itā€™s basically same bolt pattern
We ordered our spare tire (from the Rivian website) in August of 2023 and they came to the house and delivered it and put it in the truck for us.

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Would buy again. Sold a Porsche to make space in the garage. My T has become the primary and preferred vehicle for the family.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Not sure I'd buy the equivalent R1T I have today as I got my LE at the early price. For me, that was a steal. $ for $, epic value despite a few (minor) early adopter issues. Would consider an R1T again only with dual motor, large pack and if it came with coil over suspension.

As I'm a 2-car family, it's about how it fits with our needs and what the other car is. I'm also one of these people who like to switch out of cars every 2-4 yrs.
Sponsored