XM options?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Has anyone done an after market addition of an XM radio? My wife wants to listen to the news channels on XM ... the app doesn't work well since we are in a cellular reception challenged area. And if you don't remember to fiddle with your phone before leaving, it is a pain in the butt.

Or alternatively, can you get the real TV news channels via Spotify or anything else Rivian has?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tune-In is integrated in the R1T and has a bunch of radio options... but it's all streaming, so if you don't have cell coverage in your area then it isn't going to be a good experience.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Has anyone done an after market addition of an XM radio? My wife wants to listen to the news channels on XM ... the app doesn't work well since we are in a cellular reception challenged area. And if you don't remember to fiddle with your phone before leaving, it is a pain in the butt.

Or alternatively, can you get the real TV news channels via Spotify or anything else Rivian has?
There are a number of news sources you can get through tune-in or Amazon if you have cell coverage. BBC, CSPAN Radio, a few others, various NPR local stations. No cell service, no such luck. Yep, I kinda miss XM which I have in my Niro EV...

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Tune-In is integrated in the R1T and has a bunch of radio options... but it's all streaming, so if you don't have cell coverage in your area then it isn't going to be a good experience.
Tune-In also does not stream the actual live news flow from CNBC, CNN, FOX, etc. They mix recorded content with live content and it can be hard to differentiate.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If you pay for the upgraded plan on Tune In you actually get most cable news networks just like XM. But again it’s useless without a good cellular connection.

A couple people on the forum tried to connect a plug and play SXM receiver to the Rivian system and it did not recognize the connection. At least one of them just put a small speaker in the truck just for that purpose. I wouldn’t go that far, but to each their own….

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
If you pay for the upgraded plan on Tune In you actually get most cable news networks just like XM. But again it’s useless without a good cellular connection.

A couple people on the forum tried to connect a plug and play SXM receiver to the Rivian system and it did not recognize the connection. At least one of them just put a small speaker in the truck just for that purpose. I wouldn’t go that far, but to each their own….
Well, SXM does have an option where the unit will broadcast to an FM frequency, so you just tune your car FM to that frequency for car integration. For news, that’ll probably work just fine?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Well, SXM does have an option where the unit will broadcast to an FM frequency, so you just tune your car FM to that frequency for car integration. For news, that’ll probably work just fine?
I would think so. It’s been awhile since I’ve tried to use one of those receivers since it’s been essentially built in to every vehicle since those early days but It should work!

Deleted member 7086

I tried the FM route too much static. My Rivian would not recognize the SMX BT radio or cradle. Here is what I did. Hope it helps. This is a repost.

Not being one to give up - nor wait for Rivian to act I have found a workaround. I installed a Sirius/XM Onyx Plus under the center dash next to the cigarette power socket and placed the magnetic antenna inside the vehicle centered on top of the dash by the front windshield. I ran the antenna lead between the windshield and dash (there is a foam strip there) to the passenger door pillar and down behind the plastic side of the dash. Fishing the antenna lead from there was a little more difficult. I needed to remove the passenger side fuse box cover and thread the lead back to the center and behind the plastic trim to attach it to the Sirius/XM receiver. Because I tried a Bluetooth cradle for the receiver and the Rivian infotainment center would not recognize let alone pair with the Sirius BT cradle I bought a Kindrm 2 in 1 USB BT 5.0 aux receiver/trans to see if it would work. The Rivian infotainment center would not recognize it either. So I bought a DOSS Soundbox portable BT speaker and did a direct AUX connection from the Sirius/XM receiver to the Soundbox. Forgot to mention I also used an Ainope 4.8A USB flush charger and a Sirius/XM 5V USB charger cable in putting this together. The pluses- if you don’t use the AUX direct connection to the Soundbox and use BT transmitters you can connect the Sirius/XM receiver to the Rivian camp speaker or the Soundbox by BT. Contrary to the Rivian infotainment center they will recognize and pair with the BT transmitters. By using satellite radio you don’t have Tunein constantly loading a new song in the middle of the song you are listening to nor needing to rely on ATT’s marginal cell tower coverage. The downside - you don’t have access to Rivian’s infotainment system to control the music nor the Meridian sound system. But surprisingly for being so small, the Soundbox does deliver an OK experience. The antenna placement on the dash provides an acceptable signal. Lastly, none of this modifies the Rivian in any way and is completely removable. As an aside the organizer in the photo is from Walmart. I attached the Soundbox to it by Velcro. One last comment the cigarette socket does time out when not in use so no need to power off the receiver. But the Soundbox has rechargeable batteries and stays on unless you power it down.

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
I tried the FM route too much static. My Rivian would not recognize the SMX BT radio or cradle. Here is what I did. Hope it helps. This is a repost.

Not being one to give up - nor wait for Rivian to act I have found a workaround. I installed a Sirius/XM Onyx Plus under the center dash next to the cigarette power socket and placed the magnetic antenna inside the vehicle centered on top of the dash by the front windshield. I ran the antenna lead between the windshield and dash (there is a foam strip there) to the passenger door pillar and down behind the plastic side of the dash. Fishing the antenna lead from there was a little more difficult. I needed to remove the passenger side fuse box cover and thread the lead back to the center and behind the plastic trim to attach it to the Sirius/XM receiver. Because I tried a Bluetooth cradle for the receiver and the Rivian infotainment center would not recognize let alone pair with the Sirius BT cradle I bought a Kindrm 2 in 1 USB BT 5.0 aux receiver/trans to see if it would work. The Rivian infotainment center would not recognize it either. So I bought a DOSS Soundbox portable BT speaker and did a direct AUX connection from the Sirius/XM receiver to the Soundbox. Forgot to mention I also used an Ainope 4.8A USB flush charger and a Sirius/XM 5V USB charger cable in putting this together. The pluses- if you don’t use the AUX direct connection to the Soundbox and use BT transmitters you can connect the Sirius/XM receiver to the Rivian camp speaker or the Soundbox by BT. Contrary to the Rivian infotainment center they will recognize and pair with the BT transmitters. By using satellite radio you don’t have Tunein constantly loading a new song in the middle of the song you are listening to nor needing to rely on ATT’s marginal cell tower coverage. The downside - you don’t have access to Rivian’s infotainment system to control the music nor the Meridian sound system. But surprisingly for being so small, the Soundbox does deliver an OK experience. The antenna placement on the dash provides an acceptable signal. Lastly, none of this modifies the Rivian in any way and is completely removable. As an aside the organizer in the photo is from Walmart. I attached the Soundbox to it by Velcro. One last comment the cigarette socket does time out when not in use so no need to power off the receiver. But the Soundbox has rechargeable batteries and stays on unless you power it down.
Thanks, I'll look for you original post for the pics. I think I'll phone a car audio integrator or two and see if they have any ideas. I've heard that for the FM antenna to work correctly, you want to install the transmitter antenna right beside the car's FM receiver antenna. Which means a lot more car integration and panel removal, etc. I wonder if the car's FM module has an input jack for the FM antenna? It probably does, you just have to find it...

Deleted member 7086

If you have trouble finding the pictures let me know. I confirmed this week the fish fin on top of the roof does not have a satellite antenna. I also confirmed the Rivian Infotainment unit does not have a hidden AUX in jack. Don’t know anything about the FM module. My FM radio died a couple of weeks ago and the module is being to replaced this week.

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Thanks, I'll look for you original post for the pics. I think I'll phone a car audio integrator or two and see if they have any ideas. I've heard that for the FM antenna to work correctly, you want to install the transmitter antenna right beside the car's FM receiver antenna. Which means a lot more car integration and panel removal, etc. I wonder if the car's FM module has an input jack for the FM antenna? It probably does, you just have to find it...
Please let us know if you find a solution. The lack of satellite radio is a serious problem here in the less populated, poorly covered by cellular data areas where ”adventure vehicles” roam and live.

Deleted member 7086

Also I bought an FM Direct Adapter to disconnect the FM antenna when the SMX receiver is active and thereby reduce the static. Unfortunately I could not get anyone at Rivian to tell me where he FM antenna cable plugs into the Infotainment Unit nor the type of plug used so that was a dead end. My “Work Around” seemed to be the only viable alternative unless Rivian ultimately frees up a USB-C port for inputs Like an AUX in would do.

Deleted member 7086

For those who may be interested here are the photos from the original post. Because of the angle of the photo the distance between the SMX receiver and the speaker box is a little distorted. This distance is actually a little greater. The receiver mount is next to the 12v outlet. The speaker box is mounted on top of the organizer.

Rivian R1T R1S XM options? 5EE552B7-3A18-4A8D-8B9B-0267F4227F99

Rivian R1T R1S XM options? 704CD58B-7C45-4EF5-8A5D-CEC93F414E36

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
My Rivian is now at the car audio integrator so we’ll see what they come up with. I’ll report back. I am hoping they can direct connect to the FM antenna input port on the cars FM module

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
My assumption is that the hardware in the R1T cannot accommodate a satellite connection via a software update. Not sure about that, though. My Niro EV has XM and a cell/internet connection.

Tune-in and Spotify must have made Rivian a better deal than XM...too bad. Maybe when any exclusivity clauses expire, we may see something change.
Sponsored