First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
I just received the email and logged in to my account. The R1T that I put a deposit down on and placed an order for has gone up in price by $20,000. This is bait and switch like no other!

I’m going to find an attorney and anybody else that’s interested in joining a class action lawsuit can contact me. This is absolute ridiculousness and a blatant lie.

Who the hell does this company think it is. That is a 25% increase in price over what was advertised. I’m not interested in getting money out of this, only being sold the product at the price that I was told it would be. These guys are worse than Ford and GM dealerships combined. I’m starting to think that this is the greatest swindle ever cooked up

Elon Musk is a saint compared to these people!
Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
F$&k you Steve-O.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I understand why people think impulsively that this will tank the stock price and sure it's going to cause some bad press....Teslarati bout to be lit tomorrow....but selling less cars at a higher margin is good for business as long as they can still max out their ramping capacity. Especially if their original pricing was very low margin or even at a loss which is very possible.

I felt like the truck as priced yesterday repented a ridiculously good value. I still think it represents good value relative to what else is available, but that doesn't mean it's approachable for everyone even if the value is good. Not everyone needs a 3 second 0-60 rocket sled that can tow 11,000 pounds.

ceetiger

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Adventure, Limestone, Forest Edge
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As our production continues to ramp up, we want to share new information that affects your Rivian preorder. 

Vehicle base pricing and the cost of certain options, upgrades and accessories have increased. All packages of the R1S will now only be offered in a 7-seat configuration.

We’re in the process of updating your Rivian Account page to reflect these adjustments and we will send you an email notification when the update is complete. Until then, all product and pricing updates can be viewed in our configurator.

These price increases — the result of inflationary pressure on the cost of supplier components and raw materials across the world — will allow us to maintain product excellence as we continue investing in electrification for our shared future. We remain committed to offering compelling products and helping drive competition, inspiring as many drivers as possible to switch to electric vehicles.

To that end, today we’re also announcing the introduction of Rivian Dual-Motor AWD for both R1T and R1S. Dual-Motor AWD features one motor for each axle for exceptional power and control. The system is designed to excel both off-road and on-road, going from 0-60 mph in as few as 4.0 seconds while still delivering all-wheel traction. Deliveries are planned to begin in 2024. We are also introducing our 260+ mile range Standard battery pack, with deliveries planned to begin in 2024.* Dual-Motor AWD and Standard battery pack are available now in our configurator, where you can find more information on each.

We’re grateful to you for being an early supporter of Rivian and helping drive the EV movement towards an enduring and livable world. If you have any questions about your preorder, we’re here to answer them.  

Thank you again for being on this journey with us.

— Team Rivian
I have to say that Rivian is sure trying to lose me as a customer. I understand economics of scale and the need to standardize vehicles for optimum construction costs. But to just announce that ALL R1S will now be 7-seaters is just unacceptable for me as a buyer. I am 72, single, and I was looking for a quality electric SUV to satisfy for my waning years. I need 7 seats like I need a bullet hole in my head.
I will now be looking for other electric SUV suppliers.

tigercee

Sponsored

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
My guide contacted me today and told me this price increase does not affect me. And then I got this email confirming that. Looks like Rivian is still on the menu!

Hi Steve,​
You may have heard that Rivian‘s vehicle and option pricing have increased as a result of price inflation of supplier components and raw materials across the world. Since you are in the final steps of completing your transaction, your Rivian preorder will not be affected by these adjustments.

We’re grateful to you for being an early supporter of Rivian and look forward to getting your new R1T to you soon. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to your Guide at any time.

— Team Rivian​
"Since you are in the final steps of completing your transaction". What does this mean???

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
The dramatic actors on this site is about as high as any forum I’ve been on. This does not surprise me at all that people here are acting so shocked.

I wouldn’t fault anyone for walking away if you can’t afford it. I’d be willing to guess most that will cancel, were probably already stretching it before the increase.
Spoken like a true silver spoon Gen X. Disregard for ethics and loyalty. I get it, more fun to stare at tic toc and IG.

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well, I've been sitting on two other EV truck deposits... first-day Ford and first-day Chevy. May the best legacy domestic OEM win first. I'll take either one if I can get >300 miles for <$75k.
Same here - glad I went ahead and ordered the lariat under wave 4. Have the EValanche RST on reservation as well. Looking like Ford is gonna be the 2022 winner, but I'll wait a few more days and see how things shake out [and how many pages this thread stretches out to...]

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'll just keep my reservation and see how it plays out. It's a mere $1000 that I don't even think about. However, if the Rivian price on my build does increase (which it has not on last refresh of configurator), delivery gets pushed back, etc., I may just go ahead and reserve a Bronco Badlands Sasquatch (fully tricked out for $67K) before Ford stops taking reservations on March 8th. I live a couple of hours north of So. Utah and want to be there rather than in front of a computer screen. Or, perhaps, I'll just keep my '19 Rubicon and go on my merry way. It did very well on Fins 'n Things in Moab a few weeks ago. 1st world problems we all have here. You could have a flat in Kiev right now, or a dung hut in the Serengeti, or a tarp tent under an LA overpass. Just sayin...

Last edited:

Sponsored

evergreenmachine

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Dodge 3500
Aug 2019 Pre-Order, LE R1T

Was in line for a March/April Delivery in Colorado, but no contact yet from a Guide (so I guess 60 days best case?).

Definitely not a great Mar 1 surprise, and they could have handled this WAYYY more effectively, especially for folks in a near-term delivery window, or those who were first edition launch holders...maybe still do the price increase, but offer an extended warranty or something at no extra cost....

Interestingly, my updated configured price lists $96,250 (vs. yesterday's low-low price of $82,075), and if I configure the exact same vehicle and option set (without Launch Green of course, but in Forest Green), it comes in at $103,500.

All I have to say is that if in the next 60-days, they jack up the prices again, I'll just start dropping F-Bombs and then decide if I wait a few more years on an EV. Prices are going to drop on vehicles in the next number of years, so maybe a pause and wait will be in the cards!

Though, in retrospect, I have lost more on the stock than the price increase (should have sold the stock in the first few days eh!), so I guess I'm in for the double-whammy all around!!!!!

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
I just received the email and logged in to my account. The R1T that I put a deposit down on and placed an order for has gone up in price by $20,000. This is bait and switch like no other!

I’m going to find an attorney and anybody else that’s interested in joining a class action lawsuit can contact me. This is absolute ridiculousness and a blatant lie.

Who the hell does this company think it is. That is a 25% increase in price over what was advertised. I’m not interested in getting money out of this, only being sold the product at the price that I was told it would be. These guys are worse than Ford and GM dealerships combined. I’m starting to think that this is the greatest swindle ever cooked up

Elon Musk is a saint compared to these people!
I get that you're upset, and I don't blame you. But you don't have cause for an action. The OEM has the right to change their pricing at any time. You didn't have pricing that was "locked in" contractually, and your deposit was fully refundable at any time. Not trying to piss you off. I fully understand why you're angry. I would just hate to see you waste your money on an attorney, when there's no path forward. You can probably find an attorney who'll take your money without delivering any results, though.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Companies blame everything but themselves. First it’s Covid (blame the Chinese). Then it’s supply chain (due to Covid). Then it’s inflation (blame our federal government). Hey RJ! Blame the Russian war on Ukraine because that’s the next flavor of excuses. How about “WE at Rivian Screwed up but we do not care because RJ is a billionaire”. The real truth. I’m putting $250 of my $1,000 on Fisker Ocean.
Fisker? I think people are forgetting that most EV startups are going to fail. Fisker is definitely on my death watch page…

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
In order to stay within my budget, I need to downgrade to a spec that won't deliver until 2024

Rivian R1T R1S R1T & R1S Updated Pricing, Configuration, Specs. Dual Motor Now Available 1646181827380

In order to stay within my budget, I need to downgrade to a spec that won't deliver until 2024

Come 2024, I guess I just bend over and have Rivian adjust the price again?
Sponsored