First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I paid 40ish dollars. God bless the South.
Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
California ... f*ckers screw you every which way on tax. Wouldn't mind so much if they let me chose where those tax dollars are spent.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Looks like Illinois plates will be $251 for annual renewal (vs $151 for a non-EV).

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
To everyone who thinks it’s just CA and a few other states that are expensive, you’re still less than Virginia. Let me explain, our registration is cheap, less than $200. But, and this is a big one, we have personal property tax. On the Rivian it’s going to be around $2,500/year.

Virginia isn’t alone. Missouri and many other states have low registration fees, but high property taxes.

And if you’re curious tax burden by state, check out this list. CA is barely in the top 10.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
R1T is $178 in PA because it is a truck. I think the R1S would be only $45 since it's not a truck,

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I live in CA and the registration was under $850. not cheap but not the over $1K shown. I was curious about the "weight fee" and it looks like you might have registered your truck as a commercial vehicle which is why it has the additional weight fees

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...nd-payment-of-fees-and-penalties/weight-fees/

I'm curious, if that was the case did you also file for a $4500 Commerical Electric vehicle rebate for CA state? If so, it probably covers the extra charges on the registration end I guess but not sure what you filed for or are getting

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/movingca/cvrp_business.html

Anyways, I understand the frustration. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
To everyone who thinks it’s just CA and a few other states that are expensive, you’re still less than Virginia. Let me explain, our registration is cheap, less than $200. But, and this is a big one, we have personal property tax. On the Rivian it’s going to be around $2,500/year.

Virginia isn’t alone. Missouri and many other states have low registration fees, but high property taxes.

And if you’re curious tax burden by state, check out this list. CA is barely in the top 10.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494
Interesting read, thanks.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Original OR registration was $968.50 but that includes some one time fees and is for 4 years. Looks like renewal based on current rates will be about $632/4 years. Not bad also when you consider we don't pay sales tax but make up for it in high income and property taxes.

Could be worse I could live in Portland city limits, they have the second highest tax rate in the country behind NYC (at least for wealthy residents).

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Colorado here and, as a 60% disabled veteran, I get one free vehicle registration...applied it to the Rivian, so $0. That's awesome but, given the choice, I'd rather not have the pains and instead, pay the fees. 🤔

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm in California too, and it is much higher than many other states.

Part of the cost is a percentage of the purchase cost. The other is a CHP fee and some other admin costs.

I wonder if you can see a breakdown because a Google search shows the majority of the fee is 0.65% of purchase price. If it was a $100K car, it would be $650. I assume you got the pre-increase cost so it should be much less.

Now that I think about it, I never questioned my registration renewal costs. Maybe I should because the Google calculator shows it should be less. If I search on the DMV website, I enter my plate/VIN and it just gives me the total cost without a breakdown.

Interesting...
Here is more information for CA it shows the depreciation schedule as well. Essentially when it gets to year 11 the price will stay at that number.

Part of his fee is the weight fee, because it is a PU it is registered as a commercial vehicle, that adds 266 to his renewal. The R1S should not have that on the renewal.

ylykiot

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 M40i 2019 Miata 30th AE
Occupation
Proposal Manager
I live in CA and the registration was under $850. not cheap but not the over $1K shown. I was curious about the "weight fee" and it looks like you might have registered your truck as a commercial vehicle which is why it has the additional weight fees

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...nd-payment-of-fees-and-penalties/weight-fees/

I'm curious, if that was the case did you also file for a $4500 Commerical Electric vehicle rebate for CA state? If so, it probably covers the extra charges on the registration end I guess but not sure what you filed for or are getting

Anyways, I understand the frustration. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Just checked, the Rivian is not eligible. However, the Ford F-150 Lightning is.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport

According to the CA DMV, all pickups in California are commercial unless they have camper attached. If they have a camper they can be registered as a passenger or a commercial vehicle. If you were able to get yours registered as a passenger vehicle you are lucky. The additional weight fee is because the gross vehicle weight puts it in the class of a 3/4 ton pickup.

My 2020 Ram 2500 was $980 last year. My Rivian was just over $1000 last year. I should have received a renewal by now but it hasn't shown up yet. The DMV website is telling me $1119 for this year.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm allowed - born and raised, just time to live somewhere without nasty cold / snow.
You are free to live wherever you like. I’m no fan of winter either, but I have lived in other states and spent significant time in more than half of them. I couldn’t wait to move back to CO, winters and expensive registrations and all.

I wish you good luck!
Sponsored