Drivecam... How Does It Even Work?

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seriously though. Can someone please point me to a link that explains how Drivecam works?

I got a drive installed last week and hooked it up to my computer just now to see what was on it. It's a lot more than I expected. I mean, is it recording all the time? Every time I get in and drive? Doesn't seem like it. If it's always recording, why have the record button on the center console?

Whatever, I just need it explained to me like I'm a five year old. Thanks.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The manual does a pretty decent job laying it out, but in short:

- The car records every incident that it deems an impact or other emergency, across all available cameras.
- You can manually trigger the car to record things in two ways: with a horn press for more than <some> seconds (I can’t remember how many), and by hitting the little button on the top of the screen towards the driver’s side.

All videos are available via the interface. You can remove them manually.

”Incidents” will stay on the drive and auto-delete when the drive fills. They are recorded in relatively small chunks, so you have a rolling FIFO for videos.

You can pull these out manually on the drive on a PC, though I’ve not yet attempted this.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Seriously though. Can someone please point me to a link that explains how Drivecam works?

I got a drive installed last week and hooked it up to my computer just now to see what was on it. It's a lot more than I expected. I mean, is it recording all the time? Every time I get in and drive? Doesn't seem like it. If it's always recording, why have the record button on the center console?

Whatever, I just need it explained to me like I'm a five year old. Thanks.
It is confusing. So, there are essentially 4 different recordings:
Gear Guard - works like before. Viewable from the screen.
Incidents - Triggered by the vehicle, short 2 min clips, viewable from the screen.
Manual Trigger - Press the button on the top left, short 2 min clips, viewable from the screen.
Drive Cam - Always recording when the vehicle is on, records even when not moving out parked but still in the vehicle, only viewable from a seperate computer and is the only one that requires a dedicated thumb drive.
No, they aren't.

OP
OP
joelster

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The manual does a pretty decent job laying it out, but in short:

- The car records every incident that it deems an impact or other emergency, across all available cameras.
- You can manually trigger the car to record things in two ways: with a horn press for more than <some> seconds (I can’t remember how many), and by hitting the little button on the top of the screen towards the driver’s side.

”Incidents” will stay on the drive and auto-delete when the drive fills. They are recorded in relatively small chunks, so you have a rolling FIFO for videos.

You can pull these out manually on the drive on a PC, though I’ve not yet attempted this.
Thanks. I scrolled through the most recent manual but since Drive Cam wasn't specifically in the index, I completely missed. No patience I guess.

Sponsored

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
It is confusing. So, there are essentially 4 different recordings:
Gear Guard - works like before. Viewable from the screen.
Incidents - Triggered by the vehicle, short 2 min clips, viewable from the screen.
Manual Trigger - Press the button on the top left, short 2 min clips, viewable from the screen.
Drive Cam - Always recording when the vehicle is on, records even when not moving out parked but still in the vehicle, only viewable from a seperate computer and is the only one that requires a dedicated thumb drive.

No, they aren't.
Does the thumb drive live in 1 of the 2 USB-C plugs inside the center console?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
So it records even without an actionable incident or pushing the icon?

Was right behind a bad rear end collision a couple weeks ago. Hit the brakes hard to avoid it. Nothing showed up on the Drivecam screen or in incidents. Hit record 20 seconds later hoping it would save the last 2 minutes, nope.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD

Was right behind a bad rear end collision a couple weeks ago. Hit the brakes hard to avoid it. Nothing showed up on the Drivecam screen or in incidents. Hit record 20 seconds later hoping it would save the last 2 minutes, nope.
It will save the preceding 15 seconds as part of the clip that you can view on the car screen. It should save “all” the drive prior that you can view on a computer if the attached drive had enough space and that incident wasn’t overwritten

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

You would need to plug your drive cam storage drive into a computer and look for the timeframe when this was recorded. Regular ongoing recordings for drivecam are not viewable from within the truck UI.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

When you hit the button, it records the previous 15 seconds, followed by the next 1:45.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Pulled the drive and checked. Sure enough, found the accident. Would sure appreciate having nicer potatoes for cameras on this truck though....

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Which storage drive do y’all recommend I get? What are y’all using?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles