Sponsored

CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
So, maybe the best video yet on the New Cybertruck. I was surprised how much faster it was in a drag race off the line than my R1T...it just goes. I do think most people either love or hate the exterior, but under that tough exterior is some of the best engineering. Tesla has some of the best engineers who are unrestrained, unlike legacy OEMs with their bureaucracy and siloed departments. Tesla has finally moved to 48 v architecture, something they have wanted to do for some time, steer by wire, 4 wheel steering, major casting, ie Giga Cast, and the list goes on to produce an overall amazing machine. Just like my Rivian, I waited 4 years to get one, I've had my reservation for a Cybertruck for 4 years now. Time will tell, but Cybertruck may be our next EV.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
So, maybe the best video yet on the New Cybertruck. I was surprised how much faster it was in a drag race off the line than my R1T...it just goes. I do think most people either love or hate the exterior, but under that tough exterior is some of the best engineering. Tesla has some of the best engineers who are unrestrained, unlike legacy OEMs with their bureaucracy and siloed departments. Tesla has finally moved to 48 v architecture, something they have wanted to do for some time, steer by wire, 4 wheel steering, major casting, ie Giga Cast, and the list goes on to produce an overall amazing machine. Just like my Rivian, I waited 4 years to get one, I've had my reservation for a Cybertruck for 4 years now. Time will tell, but Cybertruck may be our next EV.

48V architecture, steer by wire, and 4 wheel steering are offered by many other OEMs.

I don't really see any major practical advantages over other EV trucks. It's just a halo truck like a Hummer or Raptor. It won't compete with gas powered F150s.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
While I can appreciate some of the advancements in engineering, there’s just so many LOL pieces of the vehicle I can’t look past. It’s like their engineers just quit about halfway through development.

• Tiny frunk
  • Hilarious spare tire storage
  • Windows that went from bullet proof to “rock resistant”
  • it’s not a boat
  • horrible lines of sight, especially out the back
  • Material that will be impossible to keep looking nice
  • To get even 80% of the promised range, you have to sacrifice 1/3 of your truck bed (and can’t have a spare tire)
And just the straight up lying by the company you’re supporting With your purchase. I mean, like half the shit that was promised was vapor and now it costs 40% more than you were told.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Tesla is also a silo - his name is Elon and those “unrestrained” engineers tried hard to talk him out of making this truck the way he wanted it. But Elon always gets what he wants, so here you are - his Blade Runner/ Cyberpunk 2077 fever dream EV.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
48V architecture, steer by wire, and 4 wheel steering are offered by many other OEMs.

I don't really see any major practical advantages over other EV trucks. It's just a halo truck like a Hummer or Raptor. It won't compete with gas powered F150s.
Please provide the "many other OEM's" that have anything you listed and in what vehicles. I'll be waiting.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
While I can appreciate some of the advancements in engineering, there’s just so many LOL pieces of the vehicle I can’t look past. It’s like their engineers just quit about halfway through development.

• Tiny frunk
  • it’s not a boat
  • To get even 80% of the promised range, you have to sacrifice 1/3 of your truck bed (and can’t have a spare tire)
And just the straight up lying by the company you’re supporting With your purchase. I mean, like half the shit that was promised was vapor and now it costs 40% more than you were told.
Obviously you didn't watch Jason's video

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Oh good another yet another Cybertruck thread. Was this one started because the other ones skewed too negative for some people?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The biggest fail is the gigacasting, combined with the 4680 cells, and "exoskeleton" exterior were supposed to make this a much less expensive design to compete with mass produced trucks. It was supposed to have 500 miles of range and charge at incredible speeds while costing about the same as a standard gas powered truck.

This isn't even close.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Please provide the "many other OEM's" that have anything you listed and in what vehicles. I'll be waiting.
Not sure if you’re joking or trolling? But just do a quick search and you’ll find plenty of vehicles and manufacturers offering all of those.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

• Tiny frunk
  • it’s not a boat
It's a vehicle full of compromises due in large part to its stupid design. That wouldn't be as limiting if it was as cheap as it was supposed to be, but at the real price tag I think it'll be hard to find a large audience willing to deal with these compromises.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
VW ID4, R1T (on order); Prev: R1T QM
No product can have everything and be under six figures.

With that being said, if I got to choose the only features I'd really want Rivian to adopt are the heat pump, 800v/350kW charging, and the stronger glass.

Four wheel steering and steer by wire are great, but the R1T already handles very well and has a pretty solid turning radius for a truck.

There were many afterthoughts on the Cybertruck for things like the spare, front truck, wiper, etc. there is also some random wasted hollow space below the bed. It lacks a rearview mirror and the tonneau cover blocks the rear glass when closed.

The body also looks like it is going to be very, very hot to the touch in the summer. It lacks door handles, what happens when it's freezing outside, the door gets stuck and you have nothing to pull on?

There are a lot of inherent issues with the design. I like that Tesla pushed the envelope quite a bit but Elon tied their hands.

It'll sell to people who aren't really truck people for the most part, but I wish they had made a product that was more mass market appeal to get some of these gas guzzlers off of the road.

I've said it before, but I don't hate Tesla or the CT. Just trying to be objective about it.

Last edited:

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rear steering:
GM, Mercedes, Porsche, Honda, BMW. Too many to list. The 1987 Honda Prelude had rear steering. My current Mercedes has 11 degrees of rear steering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vehicles_with_four-wheel_steering

48V Systems:
Too many to list. Basically any vehicle with a mild hybrid system uses 48V architecture.

Steer by wire:
This is the only one that is relatively new. Toyota and Lexus use it in their EVs. Infinite (Nissan) has had steer by wire for almost 10 years. Many other OEM have announced steer by wire on products being released in the next 12-18 months.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Not sure if you’re joking or trolling? But just do a quick search and you’ll find plenty of vehicles and manufacturers offering all of those.
LOL...As one of the first people to put a deposit on a Rivian back in Nov. 2018, I'm not trolling, just open-minded and not ignorant. There are Zero other OEMs that use 48v electrical systems in their cars or trucks. Zero!
Sponsored