Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

How many that have no ties to Rivian or Rivian sub contractors have received their trucks exactly?
I know of 4
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I know of 4
Is love to hear how they were chosen. We’re they the first four reservations? Or is some other criteria being applied?

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
People who reserved 4 years ago are just now getting their trucks.
Citation needed.

At this point, saying they’re currently delivering R1Ts to external customers is like saying Rivian is making production R1Ses just because they made 2 for the CEO and CFO. A handful - at best - of individual actions that seem to have paused is not a sign of active production and deliveries.

I will change my tune when forum members start getting real delivery dates and cars.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Citation needed.

At this point, saying they’re currently delivering R1Ts to external customers is like saying Rivian is making production R1Ses just because they made 2 for the CEO and CFO. A handful - at best - of individual actions that seem to have paused is not a sign of active production and deliveries.

I will change my tune when forum members start getting real delivery dates and cars.
yeah exactly. I think people are stretching to find the few people they can't verify as Rivian contractors to justify deliveries to "customers". Rivian uses that term very broadly.

I don't have a problem with an employee beta or priority delivery program, but they really screwed up by not making that policy more public to their most loyal reservation holders. They could have easily announced that was the plan and I don't think people would have been upset. It's the shady claims of deliveries which aren't really to traditional customers that is disingenuous.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Is love to hear how they were chosen. We’re they the first four reservations? Or is some other criteria being applied?
the only people who would know that are Rivian.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

To their most loyal reservation holders.
I see this term (loyal reservation holders) a lot and am curious what it means to different folks? Is there a cut off date you had to reserve by to be "most loyal" Is it someone's participation on an Internet forum? Is there some other criteria I'm not considering? Or is anyone who hasn't canceled at this point a loyal reservation holder of equal standing? Or do folks really mean "tenured" when they say "loyal"?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I see this term (loyal reservation holders) a lot and am curious what it means to different folks? Is there a cut off date you had to reserve by to be "most loyal" Is it someone's participation on an Internet forum? Is there some other criteria I'm not considering? Or is anyone who hasn't canceled at this point a loyal reservation holder of equal standing? Or do folks really mean "tenured" when they say "loyal"?
No. It’s not about forum participation or fandom or any other intangible.

There are people who hav le waited 4 years for a truck AND been told dates as far back as November last year for delivery. Some even made car leasing and buying decisions based on delivery dates that came and went multiple times. Meanwhile employees who have only worked at Rivian 6 months are getting trucks.

It seems like a terrible PR move not to deliver to some of the first 1000 or so reservation holders who committed to buying your product when it was not even guaranteed to make it to market.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OhhhhhhSnap

OhhhhhhSnap

First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV
There seems to be a ton of bitterness here that is misdirected.

Have you owned a Tesla? I have owned two. Good luck getting to talk to anyone from Tesla AT ALL. I can call, text, chat, email to RIvian any time I like and always get a response.

We had an issues with our first Model Y and they repurchased it from us. The price had gone up since I purchased it. They didn't care. Pound sand basically. The service manager felt bad and game me the equivalent price difference in service credits. It was the most painful vehicle experience ever. I never was allowed to talk with anyone but a local service manager.

They cant get parts - I am still waiting on PPF that they promised 6 months later.

I had issues with:
  • Audi - I have owned 3 Audi's - had one re-purchased after a nightmare
  • Mini - 2002 Mini Cooper S - terrible quality and the BMW dealership was no better - In for service in excess of 12 times in the first year.
  • Jeep - my wife's JGC started randomly stalling out as 150 miles on the ODO - they NEVER figured it out and re-purchased it.
  • Mercedes - just expensive to own
  • Dodge Durango - The dealer never figured out the fuel system. We always had problems with the capless gas system. They replaced parts, never solved it. The 8spd transmission is a lifetime lubricated device (and no one at the service bays could agree on it until they called Dodge) but the same transmission has service intervals on other makes/models?
  • Lincoln Navigators - don't get me started. Transmissions die at 100k, air suspensions die at 100k and the tech sucks.

Cars I had no issues with:
Honda - perfect
VW- Prefect (crazy right)
My Last Audi was completely reliable.

SO, Bash all you want. It is a start up. A Damn Fine one IMHO. They told you it would take time.

Apple and Samsung have screwed up massive phone launces, but you want the damn Car Play and Android Auto still?

PK

I agree with you but not sure if you were directing this post to me.

I get all manufacturers have issues but come on now... Recall on a plastic/cardboard hard top?

I wish I was joking but here are pictures of a cross cut hard top on the Broncos...

Rivian R1T R1S Hello, from a Ford Bronco Reject 2021 Ford Bronco MIC Hard Top 1.0 construction material cross section inside 3
Rivian R1T R1S Hello, from a Ford Bronco Reject 2021 Ford Bronco MIC Hard Top 1.0 construction material cross section inside 5

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
OhhhhhhSnap,

I was not directing this to you, at least in the manner you are talking about. I will never own a Ford product after my Lincoln experiences.

I was referring to the general bitching going on in these threads. As if Rivian is the ONLY company that has issues.

Anyway,

No harm no foul

PK

Ron S

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 Turbo, Tesla Model Long Range, Jaguar XK8
Clubs

There are people who hav le waited 4 years for a truck AND been told dates as far back as November last year for delivery…

No one has waited four years. And yes, I ordered 11/26/18. Is anyone really happy with wait….no. But, really, get over it! They are doing everything they can to get YOU YOUR R1T! Too much complaining.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
But, really, get over it! They are doing everything they can to get YOU YOUR R1T!
This is demonstrably false. Really you’re just lying to yourself at this point. If that’s what you need to do, I guess “you do you”… But some of us prefer to stay in reality, thank you very much.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This is demonstrably false. Really you’re just lying to yourself at this point. If that’s what you need to do, I guess “you do you”… But some of us prefer to stay in reality, thank you very much.
I cannot write for @Ron S, but I think that it is reasonable to say that Rivian are doing everything they can to get you your R1T as soon as they feel confident that they are delivering a quality product free from known defects. While I don’t know what’s going on inside Rivian, it seems like there are two issues which are frustrating people: low production numbers and most of that production volume going to employees.

If there are low production numbers due to supply chain issues and/or because they are working out issues with process or component design issues then they are going as fast as they can.

If they are prioritizing deliveries to employees because of known component design issues and/or for validation as they continue to tweak processes or test redesigned parts (tonneau cover 2.0?) then they are going as fast as they can to deliver a quality product free from known defects.

If these aren’t the issues behind what’s frustrating long-time reservation-holders then what is? “The only reason Rivian isn’t delivering to 3rd party customers is because they are conspiring to annoy reservation-holders and concern investors by throttling output and delaying deliveries in a passive-aggressive power play.” doesn’t sound rational to me.
Sponsored