thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Advisory: pictures of bloody injury.

At My Rivian broke me! : Rivian (reddit.com) an owner posts some photos and discussion of how the sharp edge on the gear tunnel door cut him badly and thinks it needs a redesign. From this initial look it does seem like a major concern. Perhaps some discussion here is warranted about some workaround, beyond the "don't do that!".
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's a lot more blood than I was expecting.

I wonder if wrapping some thick PPF (like the 10mil variant) around the edges would help?

I wouldn't try to get in/out of the truck while the gear tunnel door is down, either.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah I'm gonna be wrapping the edges of that with PPF for more reasons than one.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Redesign is not going to be quick. I am curious what the great minds of the forum can come up with as a interim solution.

Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 1659543460633

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Redesign is not going to be quick. I am curious what the great minds of the forum can come up with as a interim solution.

1659543460633.png
Actually looks like the original design wouldn't have been as bad. These corners are just flat folded over sheet metal now instead of being somewhat thick.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 1659544402836

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things

1659543460633.png
It looks like a fairly simple fix to me. Round the corners.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

isn't the solution always duct tape?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Mine has no sharp edges or raised blade-like pieces of sheet metal.

I can’t see the Reddit post so maybe I’m misunderstanding what cut the poster.
987008EB-02FE-4A5B-AB49-6AB6929BE84C.jpeg
To my eye that doesn't look very sharp either but it's still a corner so if you were stepping up or down and caught that corner just right I could see how it could cut you. It seems like a freak accident and he shouldn't have stepped down parallel with the truck but perpendicular instead. I don't see this as Rivian's fault just unlucky like if you were to close your hand in a car door.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Mine has no sharp edges or raised blade-like pieces of sheet metal.

I can’t see the Reddit post so maybe I’m misunderstanding what cut the poster.
987008EB-02FE-4A5B-AB49-6AB6929BE84C.jpeg
His edge is not that different from yours. It all depends on how much force you hit it with:

Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 1659545153214

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
To my eye that doesn't look very sharp either but it's still a corner so if you were stepping up or down and caught that corner just right I could see how it could cut you. It seems like a freak accident and he shouldn't have stepped down parallel with the truck but perpendicular instead. I don't see this as Rivian's fault just unlucky like if you were to close your hand in a car door.
I disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if someone brought this up in a meeting and was shot down because "everything was designed around the gear tunnel". The fact is, tools evolve and someone has to bleed to make that evolution happen. Cost of taking the first step.

Edit: I am not saying dude should sue Rivian. Just saying the design prioritized look (or may be manufacturing ease) over safety.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if someone brought this up in a meeting and was shot down because "everything was designed around the gear tunnel". The fact is, tools evolve and someone has to bleed to make that evolution happen. Cost of taking the first step.
I'm not arguing that it can't be rounded to prevent it but this doesn't seem excessively sharp. I wouldn't call this a design flaw but that's a matter of opinion at this point. I'm certainly not a product design engineer nor am I an expert in product liability law. I could be wrong, and if this happens on occasion I wouldn't be surprised if the corners go in for service and get rounded on a recall.

Reactions: Max

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I stumbled upon the reddit post last night. From what I could tell, it seemed like the gear tunnel door in question had a spot with a rough weld that might have had just enough sharpness that it could tear something.

I don't think most painted gear tunnel doors would be sharp enough to penetrate skin if the situation was repeated. Certainly they could do some normal impact damage if you bang in to them, but hopefully not cut anything. But it's a good warning and I'm going to consider applying an edge of thick PPF on them.

OP
OP
thrill

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I'm not arguing that it can't be rounded to prevent it but this doesn't seem excessively sharp. I wouldn't call this a design flaw but that's a matter of opinion at this point. I'm certainly not a product design engineer nor am I an expert in product liability law. I could be wrong, and if this happens on occasion I wouldn't be surprised if the corners go in for service and get rounded on a recall.
It looks like the sort of thing that is probably wasn't considered "excessively sharp" if you were to stand beside it, but that's exactly what the Reddit poster says he did in stepping up to the tunnel door to grab something and the edge slicing his leg as he turned.

Imagine how bad such a cut could be if you slipped stepping down from the tunnel door explicitly pitched as safe for stepping on and sliced your leg all the way down.
Sponsored