Bed Rails

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Yeah, it's a step ramp which is great, very highly recommended!

The rail is attached only to the panel holding the tonneau cover but I strap one side of each bike down to the built in tiedown in each corner of the bed and the other to the tiedown eye on the rail which is mostly a sheer force so I'm pretty confident in it, especially with the moto-gate that I'm using now at the back to provide support to keep the bikes from rolling backward.
Awesome, heard good things about it but trying to decide if I want to be able to close the tailgate and lock bed while I'm riding. Obviously can't do that with the length of the StepRamp. I guess I could always lock the ramp with the gear guard cable.

The R1T is my first truck and up until now I've been hauling the moto on my sled trailer or on my hitch carrier so trying to dial in my moto-hauling setup. What's the moto-gate you're using?
Sponsored

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Awesome, heard good things about it but trying to decide if I want to be able to close the tailgate and lock bed while I'm riding. Obviously can't do that with the length of the StepRamp. I guess I could always lock the ramp with the gear guard cable.

The R1T is my first truck and up until now I've been hauling the moto on my sled trailer or on my hitch carrier so trying to dial in my moto-hauling setup. What's the moto-gate you're using?

I'm in exactly the same situation, I always used to haul the bikes with a utility trailer behind an SUV. I wanted to streamline the entire thing and it has been so nice to move everything into the bed of the truck. I'm on the shorter side and was nervous about loading bikes into the bed with a ramp, but the step ramp makes it so simple that it's just zero concern. When I'm riding I close the tailgate and let the step ramp rest on the top of the tailgate and lash it in with the gear guard cable. Works perfectly.

This is the Moto gate, it's very well made and you can pull it down really tight against the rear wheel and keep everything locked in.

Moto-Gate MTO-05-100 Black Original Generation-2 Nylon Net https://a.co/d/4icpgwU

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

What's the moto-gate you're using?
All loaded up this morning, it's almost like cheating with the step ramp, moto gate and the CCR Hybrid rail.

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails PXL_20221025_124507200.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails PXL_20221025_124518392.MP

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, you'll need to drill holes in the L track. The 5" spacing is not compatible with the Rivian holes except for one hole at the end of the 48" L track. I also had to countersink the newly drilled holes.
I'm copying your setup and am about to drill new holes in the L track. Quick question, how did you countersink those holes? Are you able to get a countersink bit into that L track? Never done that so don't have the countersink bit...another trip to Home Depot.... Thanks!

Sponsored

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

All loaded up this morning, it's almost like cheating with the step ramp, moto gate and the CCR Hybrid rail.

PXL_20221025_124507200.MP.jpg

PXL_20221025_124518392.MP.jpg
Many thanks for posting the photos, I’m going to replicate this exact setup. Before I buy the parts, is there anything that you would change having used it for a while? I’m thinking about running a second rail in the lower position and putting the tiedows there.

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Funny, I count 8 tie downs. 4 heavy duty ones inside the bed and 4 on the bed rails. Its a small bed, How many do you need?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm copying your setup and am about to drill new holes in the L track. Quick question, how did you countersink those holes? Are you able to get a countersink bit into that L track? Never done that so don't have the countersink bit...another trip to Home Depot.... Thanks!
Amazon has them

IRWIN Countersink Drill Bit Set for Metal, 5-Piece (1877793) https://a.co/d/8106rxo

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Funny, I count 8 tie downs. 4 heavy duty ones inside the bed and 4 on the bed rails. Its a small bed, How many do you need?
I’m wondering how strong the upper tie down points are… are they really tie down spots or just attachment points for the tent and rails???

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m wondering how strong the upper tie down points are… are they really tie down spots or just attachment points for the tent and rails???
They would have to be pretty strong as they are designed to hold the crossbars, which will likely be bearing significant levered weight of roof top tents, gearboxes, bikes, kayaks, and anything else someone could throw up there...

However to @EVerywhere 's question - I am using the lower L track for any tie down (if needed only after the factory load hooks are used) as I do not want to put much, if any, force on the upper L track that is bolted to the tonneau enclosure. I got 2 of these EZ Chocks

https://www.motoprohq.com/product-page/l-track-ez-chock

which do appear to clear the tonneau cover, but since they easily snap off the L track that doesn't really matter. I'll probably be only transporting 1 moto 90% of the time anyway. I haven't been able to test with my moto yet, the only questionable thing about these chocks is most of the chock sits below the L track and I'm hoping they don't create too much levered downward force on the L track when tie downs are synched. If they do it would be pretty easy to place something behind the chock that rests against the bed wall to mitigate. I'll try to take some pics later

Sponsored

speedjunkie

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y, 2016 Porsche GT4
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Clubs

Thanks to the inspiration found on this thread, I was able to install the CCR Sport Moto Rack for my dirt bikes/motorcycles and also an L-Track on the lower portion of the cab wall to secure my bicycles.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails IMG_2856

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

L track is awesome. I just wish I didn't have to drill holes in the bed (even possible?).
Saw seperate posts on the L-Track and fasteners built into the bed floor. The L-Track built in using the M6 bolts holding the plastic bed liner. I like this idea, just wish it was a bit lower to be more versatile. I may consider doing this because you are not altering the truck, and you can remove it anytime. I'm also waiting for some after market options that leverage those bolts for a molle rack system. This is my first truck, but man there sure is a lot lost on the "Adventure" truck concept.

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I am hoping that Builtright makes the side pieces soon. That would be much more useful for me than the front. I am not sure there are enough existing bolts on the R1T for the sidepieces though. For the front I'd prefer just L-track.

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

Just installed the CCS bike rail, chocks and tie down. Looks factory and stops the front wheel from damaging the fragile tonneau cover. Thank you to the earlier posters!

To those that have already done this, do you think that I'm OK with a single central tie down for two bikes, or should I add a second?

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails 20230110_201919882_iOS
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails 20230110_201942060_iOS
Sponsored

Last edited: