Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
$.36 per kWh plus tax, at 2 miles per kWh is right under $.19 cents per mile

Gasoline in Georgia (where I live) right now is $2.75 per gallon. Provided 20 miles per gallon (in the truck of this size) on the highway, it’s right under $.19 per mile.

Does anyone see a problem here? Long-distance travel in the R1S is less convenient than the ICE vehicle but it doesn’t save any money. Plus the R1 costs $20,000-$25,000 more than a similar gasoline vehicle.

Gasoline needs to be twice as expensive as it’s now to make sense for most people to get rid of the ICEV and get an EV.
What are you electricity rates?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
…..Gasoline needs to be twice as expensive as it’s now to make sense for most people to get rid of the ICEV and get an EV.
Move to California, problem solved…. 😉

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Sure however you can't compare an EV to ICE that way unless you fill up your ICE at home for $1/gallon
I may be an outlier here, but my impression is that nowadays in a family of two adults, one works from home for sure (or both do). Therefore, a vehicle of the size of the Rivian will mostly be used for going out of town while a smaller vehicle (hopefully an EV) will be used for commuting and daily chores. So, I’m looking at the Rivian from the perspective of long road trips.

Obviously, if it’s driven in town, then there is a benefit of charging at home for cheaper. Personally I own two EVs and understand the benefit of driving an EV in town. However, my neighbor bought an R1S and was shocked at how expensive it was to charge it on the road. He was basically spending the same amount of money he would driving an ICEV of this size on the same road trip except he wouldn’t be stressed about refueling locations or having to spend 45 minutes at each fueling stop. He was hoping to get a cost benefit in a way of cheaper fuel in exchange for longer stops, and he didn’t get any.

My son is in a travel sports team, and there are two families traveling in EVs: us and another family. The other family has an R1T, while we travel in the Model Y now (we used to travel in the ID.4). I compare the stories about the trips, since we travel along the same routes as the other family. The R1T consumes exactly twice as much energy per mile along the same route as the Model Y. When I get 4 miles per kWh, the R1T gets 2 miles per kWh. So, it costs me half to travel out of town as it costs the family with the R1T. Plus I have many more places I can DC charge at. Obviously, Rivian will soon get access to all Tesla superchargers, so that advantage will soon apply to traveling in a Rivian as well.

Right now, traveling in the Model Y I spend about 8-9 cents per mile when I charge on the road. Traveling in an ICEV of the same size, it would cost about 10 cents per mile. Not a big enough difference to warrant switching to an EV for most people. For around-town driving, an EV makes sense, but probably not an EV of the size of the Rivian for most families.

Last edited:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I may be an outlier here, but my impression is that nowadays in a family of two adults, one works from home for sure (or both do). Therefore, a vehicle of the size of the Rivian will mostly be used for going out of town while a smaller vehicle (hopefully an EV) will be used for commuting and daily chores. So, I’m looking at the Rivian from the perspective of long road trips.

Obviously, if it’s driven in town, then there is a benefit of charging at home for cheaper. Personally I own two EVs and understand the benefit of driving an EV in town. However, my neighbor bought an R1S and was shocked at how expensive it was to charge it on the road. He was basically spending the same amount of money he would driving an ICEV of this size on the same road trip except he wouldn’t be stressed about refueling locations or having to spend 45 minutes at each fueling stop. He was hoping to get a cost benefit in a way of cheaper fuel in exchange for longer stops, and he didn’t get any.

My son is in a travel sports team, and there are two families traveling in EVs: us and another family. The other family has an R1T, while we travel in the Model Y now (we used to travel in the ID.4). I compare the stories about the trips, since we travel along the same routes as the other family. The R1T consumes exactly twice as much energy per mile along the same route as the Model Y. When I get 4 miles per kWh, the R1T gets 2 miles per kWh. So, it costs me half to travel out of town as it costs the family with the R1T. Plus I have many more places I can DC charge at. Obviously, Rivian will soon get access to all Tesla superchargers, so that advantage will soon apply to traveling in a Rivian as well.

Right now, traveling in the Model Y I spend about 8-9 cents per mile when I charge on the road. Traveling in an ICEV of the same size, it would cost about 10 cents per mile. Not a big enough difference to warrant switching to an EV for most people. For around-town driving, an EV makes sense, but probably not an EV of the size of the Rivian for most families.
Only 12% of the full time workforce works from home. 28% work a hybrid schedule.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
my impression is that nowadays in a family of two adults, one works from home for sure (or both do). Therefore, a vehicle of the size of the Rivian will mostly be used for going out of town while a smaller vehicle (hopefully an EV) will be used for commuting and daily chores.
That's a really strange take. Also, since when does vehicle size correlate with the need of commuting in the US? People have been driving full size trucks for decades without needing them.

Sponsored

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
That's a really strange take. Also, since when does vehicle size correlate with the need of commuting in the US? People have been driving full size trucks for decades without needing them.
True, but these people don’t care about fuel expenses. If I have a Model Y and a R1T in the garage, I will commute in the Model Y as long as the other adult doesn’t need to go anywhere at the same time. I know it sounds strange, but I prefer not to have to maneuver a large vehicle in a parking deck, so if I have a choice which vehicle to drive to work a couple times per week, I choose the smaller one.

I would take the R1T instead of the model Y on a long road trip as soon as the Rivian gets access to the Superchargers.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Move to California, problem solved…. 😉
But, home electricity rates are also twice as expensive in CA. The RAN rates are pretty much the same as my off-peak overnight rates.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Check out gas prices on the West Coast and you'll see why the adoption rate is so much higher.
My uncle and I both drove from Portland to Tucson a few weeks ago towing travel trailers.

I drove my Rivian. He drove a diesel Ford F-250. (My old truck he bought from me last year when our Rivian arrived, towing my old trailer he just bought from me when I changed trailers.) It cost him about $500 in fuel. It cost me $161 in charging. (Helped by the fact that when we stopped each night at campgrounds, I got to charge up for free using the NEMA 14-50 outlet for the truck with the TT-30 outlet for our trailer.)

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Costs are now live! (at certain stations) IMG_5195

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
But, home electricity rates are also twice as expensive in CA. The RAN rates are pretty much the same as my off-peak overnight rates.
To be fair I just checked Georgia rates, looks like they are averaging mid teens, along the coast here in CA the peak rates are close to 4X that.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Costs are now live! (at certain stations) IMG_3401

I have solar at that house and the high rates help get an ROI in less than 4 years plus covers most of my Rivian charging. The other place has IID for the power company and actually has reasonable rates around 14 cents a kW much closer to Georgia rates. I looked at solar for that place and ROI was > 12 years so did not install solar there.
Sponsored