First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Quad on 21s for ref (same average speed too for science)

IMG_3483.jpeg
I have 23,000 miles on my T with 21’s and that 2.58 number is pretty darn close to my 23k history. If it holds up over time, 2.8 is a big enough jump to make a serious difference in range.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I have 23,000 miles on my T with 21’s and that 2.58 number is pretty darn close to my 23k history. If it holds up over time, 2.8 is a big enough jump to make a serious difference in range.
2.58 to 2.8 is about the EPA difference (328 vs 352)

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Ok here is mine with a little towing mixed in.

R1T Only towed a couple times:
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor R1T Little Towin

R1S More Towing and Long Distance Towing:
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor R1S Long Distance Towin

What we tow:
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor PXL_20230717_145758723

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Have to know weather and if quads are in conserve mode to make good comparisons, but some dual numbers are great to see. My quad efficiency nose dives at about 50 degrees. Rivian says new motors are 10 percent more efficient than quad in conserve.
Comparing with my own. Quad on 20s and 9500 miles I've averaged 2.24 mi/kWh...98% of that was in AP/Standard.

Sponsored

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
The math is 2.44 if you divide miles by energy. The same for all the others on here - I am wondering if the energy figure is what was dispensed by the charger but doesn’t take into account the typical 10% loss getting into the battery. That would the get the efficiency closer to what is displayed.
Thanks. I was noticing that and wondered what might contribute. Is it also calculating energy used for heat, lights, etc. and subtracting that before running miles/kwh? I'd be curious to know what all goes into that.

Anyway, I believe the OP's 1,500 miles would have cost me about $180 at ComEd Northern IL prices. My current Toyota Tundra would have required 80-100 gallons of gas, locally priced around $4, so roughly double.

Skag

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S dm
Occupation
Pirate
New R1S and new to EVs. My numbers are abysmal compared to some of these shared.

Range was a huge concern for me because of my commute. So I opted for Dual motor, 21” wheels.

my first commute, 200 miles round trip I average 1.47 kWh/mi.! Had to charge to make it home!

I figured out that the rear drive was not disengaging as it should. After a reset, the drive motor worked as advertised.

My next 200 mile round trip was still barley above 2.0 kWh/mi. Highway, 36 degrees, no significant elevation changes.

Parked for 36hrs I lost 7% of the battery!

I’ve got towing and longer trips coming up and not confident this is going to work out.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
New R1S and new to EVs. My numbers are abysmal compared to some of these shared.

Range was a huge concern for me because of my commute. So I opted for Dual motor, 21” wheels.

my first commute, 200 miles round trip I average 1.47 kWh/mi.! Had to charge to make it home!

I figured out that the rear drive was not disengaging as it should. After a reset, the drive motor worked as advertised.

My next 200 mile round trip was still barley above 2.0 kWh/mi. Highway, 36 degrees, no significant elevation changes.

Parked for 36hrs I lost 7% of the battery!

I’ve got towing and longer trips coming up and not confident this is going to work out.
What is the outside temp? If it is cold and you can.....charge the battery 30 mins before you take off. Will warm it up and help your efficiency/range. I'm on after market 20s, quad in Illinois (AP mode) and getting 1.9 in the cold weather. Something wrong with your situation.

OP
OP
mtberman

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
I’m the OP and here are 2 updated data points. The first is the readout from a December road trip in my dual motor, 4200 miles in 4 weeks. Efficiency was at 2.28 but the final 3 day trip home from the Oregon coast to Denver, most of it at high speed in freezing conditions, took a toll.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor IMG_6390

Note I go fast on these trips and set the cruise at 85 for much of it. A less caffeinated driver would get better results. The second photo is my readout since new. I’m curious to know if this is better than a typical quad would do in similar circumstances.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor IMG_6413

Sponsored

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Personally, I found the efficiency in the trip summary is 15-20% higher than the real world efficiency.

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 20.13.12

I've only done city driving so far but my efficiency hasn't been very good. I'm on the 21-inch wheels with tires at 49–50PSI.

(This data is from Electrafi)

Skag

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S dm
Occupation
Pirate
Some screen shots would paint a better picture.. How fast were you driving?
screen shots below. Cruise control set at 68mph. Avg speed is going to be in the 50’s. Temp between 30-40f.
I also grabbed a screen shot from “out of spec” when they compared efficiency in the wheel set ups (R1Ts).
I need to be seeing that 2.4kwh/mile!
I’ve got a service appointment scheduled to bitch about it.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor IMG_1304
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor IMG_1305
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian's efficiency / estimated range accurate? - R1T Dual Motor IMG_2140

OP
OP
mtberman

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
A service appointment to complain? You can do that over the phone. Service can’t fix low efficiency.

I have been to Rivian service centers in 3 cities and I learned something from talking to them: The reason wait times are long is because of people who came in to talk about their car.

Last edited:

Skag

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S dm
Occupation
Pirate
They can’t do anything over the phone other than talk you through a reset.
there is an issue here and it requires a service appointment ( if that’s ok with you)
Sponsored