Sponsored

"Park brake performance reduced on steep grades" -- new since 2023.50.01?

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I had mine slip about 3-4 feet on my driveway overnight on Friday. Front wheels on perfectly dry concrete with a rough finish and rear wheels on slightly icy asphalt. Put large rocks behind the rear wheels and it still slipped. Front parking brakes if applied are pretty useless.
This is exactly the situation that warning is for. There were a whole series of videos last winter with R1Ts sliding down mild slopes.
It's because the parking brake only locks the rear tires so there fronts roll down behind the slipping rears.
Sponsored

Ahoymatey

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
This is exactly the situation that warning is for. There were a whole series of videos last winter with R1Ts sliding down mild slopes.
It's because the parking brake only locks the rear tires so there fronts roll down behind the slipping rears.
Unfortunately no warning message came up on mine.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Ah interesting - I am getting this warning pretty often right now (even when parked sideways in a slope) and had assumed it was detecting some issue with the parking brake. Havenā€™t had an actual issue with it yet.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think they increased the sensitivity for this warning.

I'm starting to get this in my drive way which has a very gentle slope. So gentle that its more about drainage than an actual slope.

It only happened on the new released. It has coincided with a cold snap so it could be the cold weather triggering it.

It should warm up soon so I'll be able to see if it disappears.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Is the rivian any different than any other pickup in this behavior?

Can you manually set a brake if you have a big heavy trailer?

Sponsored

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
I had mine slip about 3-4 feet on my driveway overnight on Friday. Front wheels on perfectly dry concrete with a rough finish and rear wheels on slightly icy asphalt. Put large rocks behind the rear wheels and it still slipped. Front parking brakes if applied are pretty useless.
As others have said the front brakes are not applied when in park; so front wheels could turn/roll.

If you had put the rocks behind the front tires it probably would not have ā€œslippedā€ since those tires were on dry concrete.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Has anyone in a colder climate tried something like these wheel chocks meant for snow and ice?
https://a.co/d/0Dfmb5v

If so, would putting them behind the front wheels be the best strategy?

portdirect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (QM), R1S (DM Large), EZGO RXV 48v
Occupation
Blinkenlight Hearder
I think they increased the sensitivity for this warning.

I'm starting to get this in my drive way which has a very gentle slope. So gentle that its more about drainage than an actual slope.

It only happened on the new released. It has coincided with a cold snap so it could be the cold weather triggering it.

It should warm up soon so I'll be able to see if it disappears.
I'm in exactly the same boat - the slope that's triggering this is exceptionally gentle. If the warning read that there was a risk of slipping I'd be a bit surprised but get it from a liability POV, the 'rolling' message is concerning as implies that the parking brake is not capable of preventing the rear wheels from rotating.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Has anyone in a colder climate tried something like these wheel chocks meant for snow and ice?
https://a.co/d/0Dfmb5v

If so, would putting them behind the front wheels be the best strategy?
Only if you can get them in place fast enough

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm in exactly the same boat - the slope that's triggering this is exceptionally gentle. If the warning read that there was a risk of slipping I'd be a bit surprised but get it from a liability POV, the 'rolling' message is concerning as implies that the parking brake is not capable of preventing the rear wheels from rotating.
Probably just a specific choice of wording. I did this with my R1S before this latest update and can't recall if I had gotten a message about it. Initially when I put it into park, the vehicle settled a little bit and I could feel the rear tires scrubbing, not rotating. Front tire that's off the ground was obviously easy to rotate by hand. I can probably repeat this test in a few weeks once the ground here isn't covered in snow any more.

Rivian R1T R1S "Park brake performance reduced on steep grades" -- new since 2023.50.01? 1000002397

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Only if you can get them in place fast enough
So people put their Rivian in Park on a snowy or icy slight slope and before they could possibly chock their wheels the Rivian goes slip slidinā€™ away better than Paul Simon in 1977? I got the impression that some (most) didnā€™t see significant movement right off the bat so I figured this could be a reasonable solution.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

A 4wd AWD vehicle has more traction than a 2wd even when standing still. This concept is why we bought a 4wd. However the rivian has two independent unlinked drive sections and a parking brake on only one of them. It becomes a 2wd when parked and does not have a redundant system either. You get an electric parking brake and no transmission that can also be locked. Most jeeps are 2wd much of the time as well. 2wd pickup trucks have the biggest issue as the rear is so light.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Well I just had my truck slide down my not very steep driveway last night. with it plugged in. Destroyed my j1772 connector on the Rivian charger. Could have been much worse if there was someone behind the truck. Itā€™s ver dangerous and Rivian should be looking into it. Didnā€™t even get a warning about parking on steep slippery surface.
I send a message to Rivian but Iā€™m not sure they will do anything about my charger. Iā€™m not paying $800 for another one.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well I just had my truck slide down my not very steep driveway last night. with it plugged in. Destroyed my j1772 connector on the Rivian charger. Could have been much worse if there was someone behind the truck. Itā€™s ver dangerous and Rivian should be looking into it. Didnā€™t even get a warning about parking on steep slippery surface.
I send a message to Rivian but Iā€™m not sure they will do anything about my charger. Iā€™m not paying $800 for another one.
Yeah, no, replace it with a quality one.

Confirming, because I'm currently out of icy areas, that it is the fronts only that "lock"?
Sponsored