Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

No zoom needed. ((H)) hold. The car is holding the brake at the light. It's beyond safe.
I think many folks would disagree with you on this. Even at a stop light, the distraction can certainly lead to an accident. Not at all trying to troll or pick an internet fight. Just saying....
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I think many folks would disagree with you on this. Even at a stop light, the distraction can certainly lead to an accident. Not at all trying to troll or pick an internet fight. Just saying....
How you hitting someone while at a stand still with a red light ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How you hitting someone while at a stand still with a red light ?
I think the risk is probably more to do with someone running into you while you're sitting there parked in the middle of the road not paying attention.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I think the risk is probably more to do with someone running into you while you're sitting there parked in the middle of the road not paying attention.
The person that is also stopped at the red light behind you? And all this is in speculation that apparently it’s taking minutes to take one picture at a red light. Let’s be real here, we’ve all picked up our phone at a light before. It takes one second to snap that picture. Plenty of time to not cause any issues. This isn’t a safety issue at all.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

If someone is going to plow into me while I'm stopped at a red light, a few seconds of taking a picture is going to be the difference between getting hit and not.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The person that is also stopped at the red light behind you? And all this is in speculation that apparently it’s taking minutes to take one picture at a red light. Let’s be real here, we’ve all picked up our phone at a light before. It takes one second to snap that picture. Plenty of time to not cause any issues. This isn’t a safety issue at all.
I'm not arguing safety either way here. It's not the place imo. I personally think there is context that needs to be included to make a statement about safety and being stopped at a red light with usage, particularly with regards to other distractions people have in their car at red lights (like kids).

But the hypothetical I was referring to was more a "not in traffic" situation and someone slams into you not expecting a parked car in the middle of a road.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If someone is going to plow into me while I'm stopped at a red light, a few seconds of taking a picture is going to be the difference between getting hit and not.
Just making a guess as to what one of the concerns others have expressed may be.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

No zoom needed. ((H)) hold. The car is holding the brake at the light. It's beyond safe.
I believe Hold is when regen breaking is keeping the car at rest, so not park or neutral. Safe, but illegal.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
And here is a close-up of the film from one of the trucks at the First Mile Event.

94DF22ED-B17C-49C1-AA39-C41B08DD10B1.jpeg
That design choice with this gap behind a front tire makes me sad. I've been worried It will throw rocks on the painted panels and Rivian itself installing PPF there seems to confirm that.

I imagine it's for improved aero?

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
That design choice with this gap behind a front tire makes me sad. I've been worried It will throw rocks on the painted panels and Rivian itself installing PPF there seems to confirm that.

Yeah, there's a couple places where they discuss this, although I am not sure which video I saw it in. It supposedly makes for dramatic improvements to airflow around the wheels.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Yes, some sort of screen material should have been used there for sure.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I can see aftermarket stepping in here for sure. Or rivian changing this on future updates.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The early prototypes did have a screen there. Seems that didn't make it to production.

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos riv_arch_mesh

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T