First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

TLDR:
  • Averaged 1.99 mi/kWh over 2,333 miles (round trip) averaging 47 mi/hr with temps from low 30s to high 60s; mostly on All-purpose, but did use conserve to stretch certain legs (although probably wasn't needed ultimately)
  • Fast charging was smooth -- charged at (1) EVgo in Allentown, PA (twice); (2) RAN Hagerstown, MD (twice); (3) RAN, Front Royal, VA; (4) RAN, Roanoke, VA (twice); (5) RAN, Meadows of Dan, VA; (6) RAN, Charlotte, NC; and (7) Electrify America, Carlise, PA -- total ~$180
    • The worse part was RAN Hagerstown being iced and RAN Charlotte having insane traffic (both due to last minute holiday shopping)
  • Remainder of charging was at campsites with hook-ups and random level 2 chargers
  • Couldn't be happier with how the Rivian handled the trip
##

When we got the Rivian, our hope was that it would serve as the "do-it-all" vehicle for the family. That means shuttling kids to school, Costco runs, visits to family, etc. but also dispersed camping excursions and extended road trips. We'd been happy with our previous vehicle (a 2003 Honda Element) but it was getting small for our growing boys and, after driving across the country with the check engine light on, we wanted something more reliable. So far, the R1S has been a great replacement.

We'd taken the R1S on long weekend trips before, but this would be the longest to date, with more variables to account for. In all, we would travel 2,333 miles over 11 days through 8 states, from sea level to 3,700 ft., and encounter sub-freezing temps., torrential rain, and snow flurries along the way.

The first leg of our trip was from the NYC metro area to Hersey, PA, where we stayed at a hotel in preparation for the start of the "real" trip. After picking up the kids from school, we headed to PA and arrived without much issue. We stopped in Allentown to charge at EVgo since PlugShare showed that the nearby EA station was full. Autocharge+ worked fine and we charged enough to get us to the next fast charger (Hagerstown, MD) since the hotel did not have a charger.
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704383879583

We started the next day with a quick stop at the Hersey's Chocolate Factory, then headed to Shenandoah. We comfortably made it from the Allentown EVgo to the Hagerstown RAN, but it was annoying that 3 of the 6 stalls were iced. We did see another Rivian charging, which is always nice. After Hagerstown, we topped off at the Front Royal RAN, then headed to check out Skyline Drive and do a hike in the national park. We then pulled into the Shenandoah River State Park, where we made camp and charged for the next leg.

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704384829268

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704384893993

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704385102285

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704385661978

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704385770656

The next leg was the longest in terms of distance (450mi) but we were able to use 3 RANs (Roanoke, Meadows of Dan, Charlotte), all of which worked great. Saw a few other Rivians at each location when we arrived. We only did a small section of the Blue Ridge Parkway due to ignorance/laziness/lack of planning. If we were to do it again, I'd definitely make an effort to do the entire section from the Waynesboro RAN to at least the Meadows of Dan RAN. Our stop for the night was Sesquicentennial State Park in SC, which had the first Waypoint charger we encountered. Looking at the RAN map, it seems that SC state parks are filled with Waypoint chargers -- lucky for the folks in SC!

We hung out at Sesqui for two nights, making our way to Congaree National Park then doing a moonlight bike ride on the second day of our stay.
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704385881347

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704386036609

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704386145205

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704386457813

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704386680817

We then headed to Hunting Island, SC where the skies opened up and the poured for a day and a half. That limited our excursion opportunities, but provided unforgettable atmospheric scenery during our time there. Hunting Island also had an awesome Waypoint charger right by the water, nature center, and hiking trails.

We had a nice encounter with a gentleman at a Chinese restaurant on Christmas. He said one of his sons owned 2 Rivians and another owned one. Happy to hear that in SC.

We also did a day trip to Savanah, GA while in Hunting Island, before making our way back north.

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704388634095

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704390494095

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704388769490

Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704388851563

Our leg north was as smooth as the one south. We made stops in Charlotte, where we checked out the Marvel exhibit, completed the hike at Natural Bridge, and saw more of Shenandoah before making a stop in PA to see family.

The Rivian handled everything without issue and gave us confidence for future trips in our electric vehicle.
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704390352677

A few misc. notes:
  • If parameters permit, it's best to charge at 24 amps or less while using campsite plugs/pedestals. A couple of sites acted funny when we charged at higher current, and the issue seemed to go away when we reduced the amperage. We typically charged from 10-15% to 80-90% overnight depending on the need for the next day, and lower amperage was generally able to accomplish that.
  • The MVP of the trip was our little space heater, which not only kept us warm on sub-freezing nights, but help dry things out after the rain and reduce condensation in the tent.
  • Really happy about the ~2.00 mi/kWh efficiency in winter on a hilly trip. There were times when regen was limited, and it wasn't clear whether that was because of the battery temp. or sustained downhill.
  • Driver+ was great for us on the interstate(s), except there were sections where it was unavailable for a few hundred feet. Really enjoyed the new lane change feature.
  • Our roof top tent has 200W of solar, which we typically use to keep our 1500kWh power bank full. Due to the weather + winter, solar was not able to keep up with energy demand and we ran out towards the end of our trip. We'll probably experiment with leaving the power bank behind in future trips since plugging into the Rivian's 12v seemed to work OK and didn't really impact the vehicle's energy needs. We'll also try switching to an induction cooktop, since using gas when it's cold and windy is a pain.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Great writeup! Really enjoyed reading about your trip and how successful it ultimately was.

I am very curious about your rear storage setup. Would love more pics/details and maybe even a video if time permits. Looks like a platform was built under the shelving. Did you remove the top of the subfloor for this? I presume this was great for gear storage while allowing the doggo to occupy the third row in one of those seat hammocks?

What were your sleeping arrangements like while camping? Adults in the RTT and kids in a ground tent?

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Great stuff.

When I see posts like this, it makes me want to go camping/overlanding, but then I snap back to reality and remember I like sleeping in warm, dry, comfy beds.

Maybe I'll try glamping somewhere remote.

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Great writeup! Really enjoyed reading about your trip and how successful it ultimately was.

I am very curious about your rear storage setup. Would love more pics/details and maybe even a video if time permits. Looks like a platform was built under the shelving. Did you remove the top of the subfloor for this? I presume this was great for gear storage while allowing the doggo to occupy the third row in one of those seat hammocks?

What were your sleeping arrangements like while camping? Adults in the RTT and kids in a ground tent?
Thanks!

The pup actually sits in the middle seat of the middle row with the kids using one of these:
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704397650993

She likes it fine, although will occasionally climb down to lay down on the floor by my youngest's feet.

We have the third row folded down, since it stores a 40L fridge and two electrified Bromptons. Generally, we have it laid out like so:
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704397930344

Although the bins are nice in that they can be Tetris'ed in different configurations, e.g.:
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704398023453

The "platform" is just a project board + a couple of 2x4s for footing. The OEM shelving rests on the top of the platform. This was done to (1) make the rear level and (2) give a couple extra inches to the storage area to fit a 7-gallon Aqua-tainer:
Rivian R1T R1S 2,333 mi Winter Trip from New York to Georgia in R1S with an iKamper 1704398288736

We have a little electric pump/faucet to access the water. The storage area also held emergency gear, two inflatable pack rafts + paddles + PFDs. Even with a full loadout including items we didn't need, there was extra storage space if needed.

For sleeping, all five of us fit in RTT. The kids climb up fine by themselves, but the pup needs to be carried up. She loves it, though, and will beg us to carry her up near bed time. Not sure how much longer we'll be able to do this, but the RTT is technically meant to accommodate 4 adults.

The ground tent is mean to be a "living room" during nasty weather. The floor got swamped during the rain, so we're looking for a better alternative.

Happy to answer any other questions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Great stuff.

When I see posts like this, it makes me want to go camping/overlanding, but then I snap back to reality and remember I like sleeping in warm, dry, comfy beds.

There's no wrong way to do it!

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

If I sold all my camping gear I never use anymore, that roof top tent, some creature comforts and electric cooktop, heater, and fridge would be mighty comfortable with a 100+KW battery underneath it all. I need to get to the okefenokee swamp, an international Dark Spot with views of the Milky Way at night. With this setup it would be a breeze to overnight.

If I had 1000W or 2000W of solar, would it make a dent in recharging the Rivian? Not sure I get the math behind figuring this out?

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

Great stuff.

Come over to Escalante, Utah and stay at theoldbaileyplace.com. Check out a map and you’ll see we’re surrounded by national parks, forests and monuments. We have a L2 charger for you too.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Awesome write up and trip. Thank you for sharing.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Great write up! Thank you! How heavy is that RTT? How do you store it and/or move it to the roof when not in use?

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Great write up! Thank you! How heavy is that RTT? How do you store it and/or move it to the roof when not in use?
The RTT is spec'ed at 165 lbs, but with the solar, mattress, and bedding, I'm guessing it's around 190 - a bit under the crossbars 250 lbs dynamic load rating.

We store the RTT on a drywall lift, funny enough:

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
The RTT is spec'ed at 165 lbs, but with the solar, mattress, and bedding, I'm guessing it's around 190 - a bit under the crossbars 250 lbs dynamic load rating.

We store the RTT on a drywall lift, funny enough:
Wow that’s quite elaborate! Thanks for sharing!

Duquesne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Powerwagon, Alfa Giulia Quad
Occupation
Yes
That is my exact trip when I go to visit my grown children. Never had any issues with the RAN but my navigation once took me from Roanoke to a desolate RAN in some podunk town on the Blue Ridge Parkway hidden behind a laundry mat, in the middle of the night. Was not fun, easily added and hour to my trip And immeasurable stress looking for deer

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

That is my exact trip when I go to visit my grown children. Never had any issues with the RAN but my navigation once took me from Roanoke to a desolate RAN in some podunk town on the Blue Ridge Parkway hidden behind a laundry mat, in the middle of the night. Was not fun, easily added and hour to my trip And immeasurable stress looking for deer
Lol, I think you're referring to the Meadows of Dan RAN which, admittedly, was a bit hard to find and isolated. I can see how it can seem sketch late at night. FYI for anyone who visits, the restroom is in the laundry mat, not the store/gas station.

Duquesne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes
you are correct, it is Dan. Avoid after dark due to the deer. The residents think it’s hilarious to have an EV charger there.

the RAN in Charlotte offers lots of food choices.

My first recharge point headed north is Augusta, always clean but not much walking space for my pups

Duquesne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes
I wonder if there is a thread on here discussing the RAN points giving them ratings on food options, things to do, doggy ratings….
Sponsored