First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a few quibbles, and one serious disappointment with the Route Planning portion of navigation. We make quite a few trips to San Diego from our location here in AZ and the quickest route is always the same.

Friday morning we left from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, CA (using standard I-8 plan) and the route planning wanted to take us 1hr. 25 further to the I-10 to Quartzsite RAN, then cut across through Blythe, CA and by Glamis sand dunes then reconnect to I-8 to San Diego. I reset, did it 3x and same route. Ignored it.

On the way home from San Diego today via the I-8, it wanted me to use an EA charger in El Centro, CA then work my way through Brawley, CA past Glamis Dunes and onto the I-10 and Quartzsite RAN again. This was now 1hr 30 minutes longer than taking I-8 to Gila Bend RAN and route through Maricopa and home.

I ignored the route planning and it recalculated after skipping the suggested stop in El Centro. 4 minutes from the RAN in Gila Bend, AZ up popped a new route to save time. I knew it was incorrect, but selected it and now it desired to reroute me 28 minutes out of my way back up to I-10.

The updated map software for the route planning for me, went well backwards. Is Rivian Support the best way to advise them?
This is likely nothing new, I saw something similar last year going from the west valley to Carlsbad. Carlsbad is essentially the same distance via I-8 or I-10, but last year PlugShare showed a lot of issues with I-8 chargers. I planned it on the phone to stop in Indio, then on to Carlsbad. Got in the truck and it routed me south to I-8. I ignored it and blew by Az 85, then it wanted me to stop in Quartzsite, when that was unnecessary. The nav seems to be set up to pick every Ran on the route as a stop.
Sponsored

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
Nada for me, mine always seem to be way behind since I had a module fail to take an update a year ago (which they replaced).

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nada for me, mine always seem to be way behind since I had a module fail to take an update a year ago (which they replaced).
Ÿup, had my TCM module replaced during the 11.02 update

And haven't received this update yet

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

This is likely nothing new, I saw something similar last year going from the west valley to Carlsbad. Carlsbad is essentially the same distance via I-8 or I-10, but last year PlugShare showed a lot of issues with I-8 chargers. I planned it on the phone to stop in Indio, then on to Carlsbad. Got in the truck and it routed me south to I-8. I ignored it and blew by Az 85, then it wanted me to stop in Quartzsite, when that was unnecessary. The nav seems to be set up to pick every Ran on the route as a stop.
I've made this trip 22 times since owning the truck, never once has it ever routed me through the I-10. For you, in the West Valley I can get it. The difference in time for me is 1 hr. 30 minute on the routes suggested including after adding electrons in Gila Bend, it still tried to reroute me for a shorter commute up the 85 and around. That was almost 30 minutes longer. Something has definitely changed....

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This new update is what Gen 1 guys have been waiting for.

It’s a much more refined and compliant ride.

Less body roll, soaks up manhole covers and expansion joints.

Soft is actually usable and I no longer need to use firm. Moderate is the sweet spot when I’m alone and soft with family.

Lurching and bucking is reduced.

Pedal is refined as well. Feels more snappy.

I like the potato level turn signal camera it’s better than nothing

I like the yellow theme too. Softer on the eyes.

Sponsored

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I added sound deadening material (dynamat) to the under side of the entire plastic cover where the AC compressor is housed. It reduced the noise significantly and reduced the vibration in the pedal and the whole front of the car. A very inexpensive fix with massive improvements.
Please create a new thread and share some pics of the process so we can all try the same. Thank you.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I have a few quibbles, and one serious disappointment with the Route Planning portion of navigation. We make quite a few trips to San Diego from our location here in AZ and the quickest route is always the same.

Friday morning we left from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, CA (using standard I-8 plan) and the route planning wanted to take us 1hr. 25 further to the I-10 to Quartzsite RAN, then cut across through Blythe, CA and by Glamis sand dunes then reconnect to I-8 to San Diego. I reset, did it 3x and same route. Ignored it.

On the way home from San Diego today via the I-8, it wanted me to use an EA charger in El Centro, CA then work my way through Brawley, CA past Glamis Dunes and onto the I-10 and Quartzsite RAN again. This was now 1hr 30 minutes longer than taking I-8 to Gila Bend RAN and route through Maricopa and home.

I ignored the route planning and it recalculated after skipping the suggested stop in El Centro. 4 minutes from the RAN in Gila Bend, AZ up popped a new route to save time. I knew it was incorrect, but selected it and now it desired to reroute me 28 minutes out of my way back up to I-10.

The updated map software for the route planning for me, went well backwards. Is Rivian Support the best way to advise them?
We only recently got a Gen 1 R1T, but also saw some funky route planning on a relatively short trip of about 100 miles. This was a trip we've made dozens of times, so didn't need the directions and just wanted to see how the Rivian navigation operated.

Long story short, it attempted to route us through a service plaza and onto a non-existent exit from there to the destination. We hadn't asked for any charging information, and in any event, there is no EV charging at this particular service plaza. This was about two weeks ago, so the truck was (and still is) using v2024.11.03.

We got notification late yesterday afternoon that the new update was available, but as we're making that same short trip again this morning, decided to wait a while on installation as except for the one navigation oddity, the previous s/w version is working fine.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is a massive update for me.

After the install, the ride was actually rockier I thought and there was a minor update yesterday as well. I did a hard restart; just to flush out RAM or anything etc. After all these the ride to homedepot was so smooth, I thought I had a new car suddenly; only to look up to see Fisker Ocean couple of cars down from me, I enjoyed my Rivian even more.
(First time I am seeing Fisker Ocean, the wheel set was awesome and it is a good looking SUV)

I love the graphics on driver display. I do like the squared box for maps. It feels self contained; else I felt the map should extend all the way across the screen in the background. So the squared map gives boundary to my senses

The turn cameras are game changers

I am indifferent to unreal engine displays on center console. I also think they are maybe gimmicky and Rivian should focus on high value deliverables like turn cameras, suspension improvements and Driver+.

Push boundaries on what is possible with Gen1 systems on Dtiver+ and it can only help/make it easier in Gen 2 and beyond. Gen1 adaptors are captive testers for what works or what doesn’t works and want Rivian to succeed. So use us (safely 😉)

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

A few thoughts -I am not a fan of the cell-shaded graphics -looks like a downgrade to me. Sure, it has a unique stylized look but looks trendy to my eyes and I very much miss the more photo realistic truck renderings. The font change is subtle. Less elegant but not bad. One change to the UI I am not liking is the suspension damping and regen controls. One no longer has the choice of choosing UP to firm or Down to soft- you just keep touching the "button" until it cycles though the options to the one you want. Why is this considered an improvement?

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I've made this trip 22 times since owning the truck, never once has it ever routed me through the I-10. For you, in the West Valley I can get it. The difference in time for me is 1 hr. 30 minute on the routes suggested including after adding electrons in Gila Bend, it still tried to reroute me for a shorter commute up the 85 and around. That was almost 30 minutes longer. Something has definitely changed....
Going to San Diego I always use I-8, but in my case Carlsbad is well north of San Diego and was not really any shorter. But every trip I take along I-10 it tells me to stop in Quartzsite, which is only 120 miles away. I want my first leg on a trip to be over 200 miles, I am leaving with 100% charge. On a return trip Quartzsite make sense for me, but never on the outbound.

Sponsored

Schroederhc

First Name
Bub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Electrafi, shows zero downloads for today. They are about 53% through the update of the vehicles they track. I'm still waiting.

Edit: it blasted off a couple of hours ago its up to 50 for the day so far including mine.

Last edited:

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Electrafi, shows zero downloads for today. They are about 53% through the update of the vehicles they track. I'm still waiting.
Yeah this is starting to get annoying.