First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It would appear that R1Thor and the lesser informed angst-soaked opinion of this Zoidz character is that the work that cannot be completed faster given more workers (which is always substantial) in blocking sequential order extend beyond 21 months time? Then why not just say exactly that?
My "lesser informed angst soaked" 🤪 comments come from 30+ years of well informed, life experience passion as a contracted integrator of manufacturing facility design, construction and startup for some of the largest companies in the world. The same type of passion you refer to regarding Rivian employees.

Your comments continue to indicate who has the lesser informed opinion, to wit:

If Rivian had a couple hundred workers with the same work ethic that I had for the last twenty years it would be done in under 21 months.
What an arrogant, lesser informed statement. How do you know that Rivian employees don't have that type of work ethic? I have a close software engineering friend who did contract work at Rivian - his experience was that there were a vast number of dedicated people working there 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week for several years, pushing to get the R1 line running.

Throughout a heavy manufacturing project lifecycle, it takes a lot more than "a couple hundred workers" to do a project of this scale in under 21 months. It takes more than that to do it in 24 to 30 months. It takes at least couple hundred tradesmen/craftsmen/technicians, let alone all the other design, engineering, logistics, procurement, finance, etc. personnel.

Echoing @R1Thor, this is not a debate, it's reality. Heavy manufacturing build out, commissioning and startup is vastly more difficult and time consuming than software engineering or consumer packaged goods projects. But I get it, you just don't understand the scale of a project like this.

I'm out of this thread.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have more than enough shares to offer constructive advice and engage in constructive discussions. I don't know how constructive these discussions are.

If Rivian had a couple hundred workers with the same work ethic that I had for the last twenty years it would be done in under 21 months. Rivian is likely self-selective for passionate individuals who want to work hard and are hopefully invested in the success of the company.

I think R1Thor has valid examples of the unexpected problems that arise during production of a line. They add up and each one is unexpected toil and blocks some yet to be performed task.

It would appear that R1Thor and the lesser informed angst-soaked opinion of this Zoidz character is that the work that cannot be completed faster given more workers (which is always substantial) in blocking sequential order extend beyond 21 months time? Then why not just say exactly that?

As for the use of LLM, Llama 2, etc to iteratively design a vehicle while taking into account research participant perceptions of overall appeal it is technically possible. I have not seen futurist like thought from Rivian or the CEO RJ to any extent at all. I do not think it in the companies DNA to attempt to perfect the design of a vehicle through the use of modern technology, including generative AI. I see three vehicles of some regard that in sum add up to less production and sales than the Model Y. I do not think RJ is "going for it". I think we have a very well liked modern day Jeep brand that will succeed in a limited manner given the limited beliefs within their leadership team. It could be more but it is not going to be. Something as globally appreciated in style as the model y could sit atop the r2/r3 platform but will not. What a waste. Just sucks. I'll happily drive an R2 and think eventually the stock will be worth 20-40 billion but never anything remotely close to Tesla's 500 billion.
“AI” is just a super powered search engine. It’s only as good as the information fed to it and the search terms requested. Asking an AI engine to “design” a car just means it pulls exterior elements of other cars from a library built by humans and patches them all together to provide something that resembles whatever search term was entered. It doesn’t design what is under the skin of a car or design a manufacturing process or source tooling and equipment or train employees for the assembly line for that car you requested.

So this criticism from you is very weird. It makes it clear you don’t really understand AI or manufacturing or automotive design. The creation of the exterior renderings we all love is the easiest part of the process. That is why many of us did it as children and why AI can do it now. The real work is in the rest of of the process.

Saying they should hire more people like you would probably result in a team full of people who don’t get anything done because they spend all their time questioning the process and trying to find ways “AI” can do jobs only humans can do. Paralysis by analysis.