Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Makes me wonder if there was anything Rivian could have done in advance of purchasing all that land to gauge local opinion on building an automobile manufacturing plant at that location?

For example, if they held a "town hall" in our area revealing they have some interest to build a automobile manufacturing plant here... there would be instant uproar and protests with tons of media coverage. At least they would know what they would be up against if they decided to push ahead with their plan.
A strong majority of locals and people in GA generally want the factory and are happy with the location. The very conservative and very popular governor wants it there. The legal system (not just in GA but in pretty much the entire US) simply makes it easy for a small vocal group to slow things down.
Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
On the one hand, good for Rivian getting what everyone else is getting. On the other hand, can we please stop having states compete with each other for jobs at the benefit of big companies? This hurts everyone.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. Georgia is booming because of it. The growth of the movie business in my area alone has done a lot for property values and local jobs. That means more tax revenue for the government. Win win.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. Georgia is booming because of it. The growth of the movie business in my area alone has done a lot for property values and local jobs. That means more tax revenue for the government. Win win.

You're missing the point. Georgia booming means a place previously that was booming is now not. The movie industry didn't just pop up in Georgia out of nowhere. That place that was formerly booming was already subsidizing industry. That industry likely used the area to its maximum abusive end and left a trail of destruction.

https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/plume-grumman-navy/

Meanwhile, states are auctioning off their tax base for the right. It's a good thing aerospace stayed huge on Long Island we all know Long Island as the craddle of aviation and not a place that was used, abused and abandoned mid cold-war, right?

Good thing Seattle got Boeing to stick aroun.. oh.

Get it yet? :D

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I do not understand why Illinois is giving more incentives. Rivian have no choice but to build some R2s in Illinois because they want to get the vehicle to market quicker (and cheaper) and they want to fully utilize their existing plant which also helps with financials.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
You're missing the point. Georgia booming means a place previously that was booming is now not. The movie industry didn't just pop up in Georgia out of nowhere. That place that was formerly booming was already subsidizing industry. That industry likely used the area to its maximum abusive end and left a trail of destruction.

Meanwhile, states are auctioning off their tax base for the right. It's a good thing aerospace stayed huge on Long Island we all know Long Island as the craddle of aviation and not a place that was used, abused and abandoned mid cold-war, right?

I understand your position. I just don't agree with it at all.

Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand your position. I just don't agree with it at all.
I guess I'm asking for the counter argument other than, "it's great for me in this specific geographical location at this specific moment."

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not understand why Illinois is giving more incentives. Rivian have no choice but to build some R2s in Illinois because they want to get the vehicle to market quicker (and cheaper) and they want to fully utilize their existing plant which also helps with financials.
Because Illinois and Georgia are in a battle and Illinois just won this round.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Illinois won the round because Rivian want to save some money and get R2 to market quicker. Georgia will still be built. There was no need for Illinois to spend more of their taxpayer dollars on this.

Reactions: Bee

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I guess I'm asking for the counter argument other than, "it's great for me in this specific geographical location at this specific moment."
I believe your premise is faulty and you're making multiple assumptions on industries and growth that are also incorrect.

You seem to think that business performance/growth is a constant instead of a function of multiple variables.

You also seem to think that a State's welfare is more important than the persons (which by definition includes corporations) that live there. I don't buy into that. If places like California want to pass laws or otherwise raise the costs of living or transacting business, then more power to the states that give them the opportunity to grow and operate as they see fit.

Assuming incentives by government are somehow not in their tax base's best interest is flat out wrong. Jobs and corporate revenue grow the tax base.

Corporations, like people, aren't slaves to their states.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Have you been following the Georgia plant litigation delays at all? It has nothing to do with Illinois. How old are you?

Nevermind. I just went through some of your posting history. You're a troll who already sold your Rivian. Ironpig was right in his responses to you on over if your locked OPs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Illinois won the round because Rivian want to save some money and get R2 to market quicker. Georgia will still be built. There was no need for Illinois to spend more of their taxpayer dollars on this.
These decisions aren't binary based on single factors. Coupled with the reasons you're stating, to an unknown degree is the subsidy packages. Not a minor degree, unknown degree. Now you might say, "but it's great for Illinois!" well is it? How is Georgia feeling right now about it's $1.5 billion it sunk into Rivian expecting jobs this year? The stated time frame for using the Georgia plant the people of Georgia just paid for? "Later."

Why did they do this? The move is expected to save Rivian $2.25 billion. Rivian already had $50 million from the state of Illinois. Now they get more and Georgia gets nothing? Just a turn of business?

At least Rivian will be in a strong position to open that plant in the future (quote from RJ).

How much of that $2.25 billion is from the state of Illinois? As they're parsing these things for keeping themselves as a going concern and fulfilling their fiduciary responsibility, you think 50 million here, a billion there may start to add up and factor in?

State subsidies for industry is a well known battle of state vs. state. We're all Americans, yet we're having this war on each other's tax bases so the c-suite can have bigger golden parachutes.

I believe your premise is faulty and you're making multiple assumptions on industries and growth that are also incorrect.

You seem to think that business performance/growth is a constant instead of a function of multiple variables.

You also seem to think that a State's welfare is more important than the persons (which by definition includes corporations) that live there. I don't buy into that. If places like California want to pass laws or otherwise raise the costs of living or transacting business, then more power to the states that give them the opportunity to grow and operate as they see fit.

Assuming incentives by government are somehow not in their tax base's best interest is flat out wrong. Jobs and corporate revenue grow the tax base.

Corporations, like people, aren't slaves to their states.
I don't think state governments should be undermining the national economy. I think fiduciary civil wars are counterintuitive at face value. If subsidies need to occur it should be with Federal oversight in competition with other nations.

Unless maybe we want more Boeings. That battle between states is going great for everyone, eh?

It's only in people's tax bases best interest because there's a war. Why is there a war? It seems to be the only function of the war is to continue shifting resources from the have nots to the haves.

Have you been following the Georgia plant litigation delays at all? It has nothing to do with Illinois. How old are you?

Nevermind. I just went through some of your posting history. You're a troll who already sold your Rivian. Ironpig was right in his responses to you on over if your locked OPs.
I see, so you want to take this ad-hominem. Your mother was a pig and your father was a cow, lol so fun.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DuoRivian Apologies for my tone, I mistook the child resorting to ridicule and table pounding multiple posting at me as another post from him.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
@DuoRivian Apologies for my tone, I mistook the child resorting to ridicule and table pounding multiple posting at me as another post from him.
Rivian have 10 years to open the plant to get the tax package from Georgia. This is likely a two year delay so they will still easily be within the ten year timeframe.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Yeah but it's a lot more complicated than that. Using the movie industry as a specific example, the trend the past 10 - 20 years has been to offshore more and more movie industry work. My brother in law is a high level producer. I'm certain everyone on this forum has seen two, three, up to 10 of his films. He has explained this in detail. In the past 15 years he has spent months at a time overseas filming and in post-production. A whole series of his films had all the post-production done in London because it was cheaper and they had some seriously skilled people in the CGI arena. Other countries are providing incentives to get that business OUT of the US. Kudos to Georgia for creating incentives to bring the work back/keep the work HERE IN THE US.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster