Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
As reported by Electrek. The original reporting from Automotive News is behind a paywall.

The State of Illinois is working with Rivian for additional incentives as it prepares to build R2 in the state.​
According to Automotive News, Illinois looks to double down on the EV maker with new expansion plans at its Normal facility. “The elements of an economic development package are still being finalized,” the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity said.​
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not sure why they didn't make a big pitch to try to keep the expansion in state in the first place.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Not sure why they didn't make a big pitch to try to keep the expansion in state in the first place.
They probably didn't think Rivian could find a state friendly to an auto manufacturer who want's to build a new assembly plant as those were typically environmental disasters in the past. They were sort of right as look at how the GA NIMBY's killed the factory plan in GA.

At any rate, now they see that Rivian is ready and willing to relocate out of state to stay in business and they realize it's put up or shut up time for them to keep Rivian in IL.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They probably didn't think Rivian could find a state friendly to an auto manufacturer who want's to build a new assembly plant as those were typically environmental disasters in the past. They were sort of right as look at how the GA NIMBY's killed the factory plan in GA.

At any rate, now they see that Rivian is ready and willing to relocate out of state to stay in business and they realize it's put up or shut up time for them to keep Rivian in IL.
That does make sense. Those NIMBYs in GA really did a number on the timeline even though they lost in the end.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That does make sense. Those NIMBYs in GA really did a number on the timeline even though they lost in the end.
They lost.. but did they?

Rivian could possibly scrap the whole GA location deal and sell off the land in the near future. So in a round about way, the NIMBY's might have actually won.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Rivian could possibly scrap the whole GA location deal and sell off the land in the near future. So in a round about way, the NIMBY's might have actually won.
Very true. I know I would be thinking about it if I were Rivian. If they can actually get Normal to where they are churning out numbers closer to max output they should think about it.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

That plot of land is likely to be occupied by Burger King, McDonalds and mini-malls if Rivian bails. Those that fought against a major prestige business and well-paid career center will be left with the usual eye-sore roadside noise paying minimum wage just like 95% of the rest of America.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Not related but since i'm bag holding over here I'd like to vent.

RJ needs to give street another update on R2 Orders. Hope we are above 100k now

Also he needs to open up the "Reserve R3" button like yesterday. Doesn't matter if the thing will not be delivered until 2030, street just wants to see pre-order numbers and that stock will fly.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I never understood the expansion in the first place. From what I understand, Rivian is nowhere near maxing out production in their current location, right? So why expand, especially after demand has been tapering off?

Maybe after they see the true demand with their R2 and R3 variants, then they can consider expansion again.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

That plot of land is likely to be occupied by Burger King, McDonalds and mini-malls if Rivian bails. Those that fought against a major prestige business and well-paid career center will be left with the usual eye-sore roadside noise paying minimum wage just like 95% of the rest of America.
Agreed, because we need more vape shops, pizza joints, fast food and dollar stores!

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

You forgot a couple Dollar Generals as well.

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

As reported by Electrek. The original reporting from Automotive News is behind a paywall.

The State of Illinois is working with Rivian for additional incentives as it prepares to build R2 in the state.​
According to Automotive News, Illinois looks to double down on the EV maker with new expansion plans at its Normal facility. “The elements of an economic development package are still being finalized,” the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity said.​
Electrek article captured the highlights from the AN report, but here's a non-paywalled link to the Automotive News article.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
That's exactly what I was explaining to a friend of mine over the weekend. We literally would've had R2s in our driveways by Q4 this year or Q1 next year if there hadn't been all the protests and legal holdup in GA

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 1500SLT Crew cab
Occupation
Retired

Maybe this incentive can lead to creating assembly lines production the R3's this end of this year which will increase volume and demand for Rivian.
Sponsored