First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We are in the month of March. To deliver the first R2 to a customer in 2025 is to build one vehicle in 21 months or less. I am absolutely positive that Rivian workers can deliver one R2 to one customer in 21 months time.

The story the public and investors want to hear is about first delivery and then subsequent increases in the rate of production. That story is a late 2025 story and an exciting one! Any story about 2026 is a disappointing story.

I’m so confused by how badly the executive team has presented the delivery timeline story for R2. The story should be: “first deliveries by late 2025“.

"2026" as a word and as an idea occupies no space in the human mind whatsoever, but “next year” is something we understand and something fundamentally tied at a neurological level to feelings of optimism and excitement. Investor sentiment can be drastically swayed to be positive by having the R2 story be "first deliveries by late 2025". It does not conflict with the goal to build the machines that build the car. It does not conflict with any blocking processes related to the manufacturing line.

Also, please update the R1 story on the website to reflect the existence of R2. Highlight air suspension, capacity, quad motor, max battery, availability, etc. Differentiate it further on the R1 page in light of the newer model now being known. Understand the costs in marketing per purchase and spend to keep sales at 57k or higher. Do a special edition that is just trim and color or partnership to keep it fresh. The car looks good in two yellows, three greens, two blues, two reds, two blacks, two whites, two silvers. So offer the car with those. It is a perpetuation of logical fallacy to offer "one choice per color".

The single most important focus should be on adopting new technology in car design (build it yourself if necessary) and couple it with online market research tooling (build it yourself if necessary) to digitally iterate to the most appealing car Rivian could produce, a million or more a year automobile. Someone is going to do exactly this and I would rather it be Rivian. Set some default size parameters based on the existing R2 & R3 platforms, use no human designers (for this effort), let the ChatGPT LLM or comparable system constantly mutate on form while displaying the output to real market research participants in effective sample size until one design wins as the most desired. If you think this sounds impossible you are under informed. R1 is 50-100k a year, 200k a year if selling internationally. The R2 is 100-200k a year, 300-400k if selling internationally. The R3 is 75-150k a year, 400k internationally. The next one needs to use same platform and be a 1 million a year car. Alternatively two additional designs on the same platform that add up to 1 million additional demand. RJ should be focusing here or hire/acquire the person who can.

Build the machines that builds the machine. - Elon
Develop the software that designs the machine. - Me

If you have RJs email send him this please! Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I also believe that Rivian can produce a limited number of R2's sometime in 2025, but I don't think they're ready to commit to and announce "mass production in 2025" in March 2024 due to the fact that something like that could blow up in their faces due to unforeseen circumstances.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
We are in the month of March. To deliver the first R2 to a customer in 2025 is to build one vehicle in 21 months or less. I am absolutely positive that Rivian workers can deliver one R2 to one customer in 21 months time.

The story the public and investors want to hear is about first delivery and then subsequent increases in the rate of production. That story is a late 2025 story and an exciting one! Any story about 2026 is a disappointing story.

I’m so confused by how badly the executive team has presented the delivery timeline story for R2. The story should be: “first deliveries by late 2025“.
Yes, Rivian could hand build one R2 to deliver to one customer. In fact they could probably hand build 10 to deliver to 10 customers by the end of 2025.

So you want Rivian to paint a rose colored glasses perception - just like Elon Musk, Fiskers, Nikola, GM EV Silverado, etc. have lied to everyone - with Rivian full well knowing they cannot deliver in production volume. Investors (which I am one of) want the truth and a well thought out, credible delivery timeline, not a symbolic rush to deliver one vehicle to one customer by the end of 2025.

AI engines can't even put together credible pictures of people with 5 digits on a hand, and you want AI to design a car? 🤣 Investers in a automotive manufacturing company want them to focus on building and delivering vehicles, not developing software to design cars. YOu want to see Rivian stock drop to zero? Have them announce that they are developing AI software to design cars with no human input.

I'm trying to decide if this is a troll post, or just a clueless post.

Last edited:

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Lots of great ideas. I’m thinking they chose the 2026 timeline for two reasons.

One, the economy isn’t great, interest rates are high, but by 2026 maybe inflation will be back to 2% and interest rates will be more reasonable. Elon said something to the effect of building a great vehicle doesn’t matter if no one can afford to buy it.

Two, it’s better to underpromise and overdeliver rather than overpromise and underdeliver. Tesla is dealing with this right now with the CyberTruck and I think Rivian has learned from their mistake. Keep things vague 300+ miles of range, $45K for the base model, but no mention of the price on the more expensive models, etc.

If the economy improves and the R2 lines get built faster than expected then maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so. Patience is a virtue, but waiting really sucks.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

When did RJ say 2025 deliveries? Everything public firmly says 2026. And investors see right through the "we delivered one in 2025 so we can claim we started deliveries in 2025" nonsense. Doing that is just being deceitful on purpose, and investors know it and won't let a company get away with it. If they did "deliver a couple" in 2025, but not truly start actual serious full production until 2026, their stock would get hammered at quarter's end. And that's far worse than just saying 2026 and sticking to 2026.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Honestly I thought 2026 was aggressive. They need all of the tooling designed and built, finish the development and testing of the vehicle, find the room and get the line setup in Normal and that is only on their side. They also need to get all of the suppliers lined up with their tooling and have them ramped up to supply the parts.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Lots of great ideas. I’m thinking they chose the 2026 timeline for two reasons.

One, the economy isn’t great, interest rates are high, but by 2026 maybe inflation will be back to 2% and interest rates will be more reasonable. Elon said something to the effect of building a great vehicle doesn’t matter if no one can afford to buy it.

Two, it’s better to underpromise and overdeliver rather than overpromise and underdeliver. Tesla is dealing with this right now with the CyberTruck and I think Rivian has learned from their mistake. Keep things vague 300+ miles of range, $45K for the base model, but no mention of the price on the more expensive models, etc.

If the economy improves and the R2 lines get built faster than expected then maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so. Patience is a virtue, but waiting really sucks.
The economy is always crap for someone. So that shouldn’t be a driving factor unless we are in a real depression.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So you want Rivian to paint a rose colored glasses perception - just like Elon Musk, Fiskers, Nikola, GM EV Silverado, etc. have lied to everyone - with Rivian full well knowing they cannot deliver in production volume. Investors (which I am one of) want the truth and a well thought out, credible delivery timeline, not a symbolic rush to deliver one vehicle to one customer by the end of 2025.
yes because buhhhhh my share prices.

dear people who hold stock in companies that make tangible consumer goods: worry about the company supplying quality products people want to actually buy, in a reasonable fashion, and your stonks will be worth lots!

OP
OP

Activist_Investor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Honestly I thought 2026 was aggressive. They need all of the tooling designed and built, finish the development and testing of the vehicle, find the room and get the line setup in Normal and that is only on their side. They also need to get all of the suppliers lined up with their tooling and have them ramped up to supply the parts.
"work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." Parkinson's law

Some of these tasks can be completed concurrently and some cannot but less than 21 months seems more than sufficient given the law of time allotted largely defining time to completion.

If they can use some of the same human resources to construct the line and configure and tune the robotics as they did for R1 that should help. Using same manufacturer for the equipment could help as well. I think setting aggressive timelines and missing them results in a shorter timeline compared to setting realistic timelines.

I think it's likely necessary to spend aggressively on build out and shorten the total time to completion in order to reduce the lost revenue due to delay; being that demand is present and accruing.

We have Future Value of Construction Cost (FVC) and Present Value of Lost Revenue (PVLR) as a optimistic perpetuity formula:

PVLR = S / r

Expanding the overall impact formula:

Impact = FVC - (S / r)

This becomes:

Impact = C * (1 + r)^t - (S / r)

I would bet that the lost revenue due to the delay is likely greater than the increased construction cost due to the time value of money. This indicates a potential loss in profitability. Which means it's likely a good idea to spend aggressively and set aggressive and unrealistic timelines on both build out and product availability in order to shorten the duration and decrease the present value of lost revenue (pvlr). It's not deceptive at all it's math and regretful flaws in human thought that require aggressive completion guidelines. It's smart business and it's why Elon does it.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

How many shares does one have to hold in order to consider oneself an "activist investor" ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
"work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." Parkinson's law
There is another saying I like to use…. “You can’t make a baby in 1 month with 9 guys”

Right now all we know is they have a hand built demo. No clue how far along the final product is or how many of the subassemblies have been finalized and shared with their vendors.

I’m sure they know how far along they are, they have properly identified the critical path and are comfortable announcing 2026.

OP
OP

Activist_Investor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is another saying I like to use…. “You can’t make a baby in 1 month with 9 guys”
Men and months are often interchangeable commodities when a task can be partitioned among many workers. It is all highly related to systems programming, I mean it's literally robotic programming.

Some of these tasks can be done faster given more workers. Some of them cannot. The ones that cannot do not - in blocking sequential order - extend beyond 21 months time.

Utah-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Subaru Accent, R2 slot reserved
I just want the charge port to be driver rear of passenger front and access to WAZE on the infotainment screen. I am fine with my June 2026 R2