Sponsored

32 amp vs 40 amp Portable Charger

Perk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2012 Volt, 2013 Odyssey, R2S reserved
Correct and yes. The EVSE will pass as much current as the truck requests but the 14-50P adapter tells the EVSE to ask for no more than 32A. To get 40 or even 48A all you need is an adapter programmed for 40 (or 48)A.
Ok, so the Rivian Portable EVSE is programmed to provide up to 48A if the truck requests it. The only limiting decision logic in their included EVSE is actually the adapter. The adapter itself instructs the actual amperage limit (passively by a resistor or magnet placement, or perhaps has a chipset inside for simple communication). I would have only expected that the adapter only presents an identity, like "adapter A" and "adapter B". Upon recognizing which adapter is in use, the EVSE would then chose the corresponding current amount, such as 12a or 32a.

So you're either saying that the EVSE that Rivian ships either is programmed for additional adapters that they have not shipped, or the adapter itself is not just identified as "A" or "B" - but rather has the amperage limit coded or otherwise provided in some fashion.

Do you know how it works? And do you happen to have any reference to which you can point me?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Well, that a bit of a mushy explanation. If I have 2 devices that draw 7.5 amps, and I plug them both into a 15 amp circuit for continuous load, I expect the breaker to trip.
You do?
I don't see.the difference between a properly wired 40a outlet and a device that draws 40a.
Then you won't understand these posts. For starters an outlet is a connector that you plug a device into. Second, devices that are considered continuous loads may onlly be plugged into an outlet that is rated for 125% of the device load. thus an EVSE that draws 32 A must be plugged into an outlet rated 40A.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I use the Tesla Gen 1 portable charger for 40A and then I can adjust the current draw from the truck if need be. The truck defaults to 42 amps so if I want to I can tune it to whatever I want. My last camping trip I set the truck to draw 24 amps of current to charge over a longer period of time. Pretty handy.
That legal talk is probably crap I’m betting.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ok, so the Rivian Portable EVSE is programmed to provide up to 48A if the truck requests it. The only limiting decision logic in their included EVSE is actually the adapter. The adapter itself instructs the actual amperage limit (passively by a resistor or magnet placement, or perhaps has a chipset inside for simple communication). I would have only expected that the adapter only presents an identity, like "adapter A" and "adapter B". Upon recognizing which adapter is in use, the EVSE would then chose the corresponding current amount, such as 12a or 32a.

So you're either saying that the EVSE that Rivian ships either is programmed for additional adapters that they have not shipped, or the adapter itself is not just identified as "A" or "B" - but rather has the amperage limit coded or otherwise provided in some fashion.

Do you know how it works? And do you happen to have any reference to which you can point me?
The Rivian portable EVSE only advertises a maximum rate of 32A (It's written on the label). The wiring in the cordset is 10AWG 105°C rated, but you don't really want it to be hot to the touch, which it would be above 60C. You couldn't safely draw much more than that with that size cable because of that.

A vehicle doesn't request a charge rate on L1/L2. The EVSE advertises it and it's up to the vehicle to honor the advertised current rate. If it doesn't, it should trip the vehicle off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Ok, so the Rivian Portable EVSE is programmed to provide up to 48A if the truck requests it.
The EVSE is just a contactor (relay). All t does is connect the vehicle to the line. But it also does checks on the connection to the mains to be sure that there is a valid earthing path and that the EVSE senses the "presence" of a vehicle before turning on and will inhibit closure of the contactor if these consitions are not met, if it senses an earth leakage fault or if the temperature of the plug gets too hot. And it has one additional very important job. It tells the vehicle how much the vehicle can draw from the power supply it is connected to. This it signals to the vehicle by transmitting to it a ±12V square wave whose duty cycle corresponds to the allowable current.

The only limiting decision logic in their included EVSE is actually the adapter. The adapter itself instructs the actual amperage limit (passively by a resistor or magnet placement, or perhaps has a chipset inside for simple communication). I would have only expected that the adapter only presents an identity, like "adapter A" and "adapter B". Upon recognizing which adapter is in use, the EVSE would then chose the corresponding current amount, such as 12a or 32a.
If the EVSE is permanently wired to a circuit of a particular size the EVSE is set permanently at comissioning to send the proper duty cycle signal over the control pilot circuit to the vehicle. This can be done with a rotary switch (Tesla Gen 2), DIP switches (Rivian wall "Charger" or by writing the level into rom (Telsa Gen 3). A mobile EVSE can plug into a 5-15 outlet (max current 12A) a 5-20 outlet (max current 16A) a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet (max current 40A unless you want to be sure you stay code compliant if the 14-50 is on a 40A circuit in which case the max is 32A) etc.

Portable EVSE come with an electronics unit and a kit of adapters, one for each type of circuit/plug. Clearly we could have each adapter generate the pilot at the right duty cycle so that all the body unit needs to do is pass it through but it seems more efficent and less costly to have each plug/aapter signal its type to the main unit and have the main unit decode the signal and generate the pilot. There are dozens of ways this could be done

I'm not saying either of those things because I don't know which of those 2 possibilities has been implemented. I do know that the Rivian adapters have 5 pins just as does the J1772 connector does so the individual adapters could be generating all the control pilots but I do not know that.

i certainly hope that Rivian will offer additional adapters (for now I am taking my Tesla UMC, its adapter kit, and a Tesla Tap).
Not in detail but if you'd like to get a general feel for J1772 just look it up on Wikipedia.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The Rivian portable EVSE only advertises a maximum rate of 32A. The wiring in the cordset is 10AWG 105°C rated.
That's what it advertises and that's what it delivers but it must be supplied by a circuit rated for 40A. We can carry on about this 'til the coes come home but the essential fact here is that these are the rules. They are written by insurance people who are using a belt and suspenders approach here to minimize the probability of fire to many 9's.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
A vehicle doesn't request a charge rate on L1/L2. The EVSE advertises it and it's up to the vehicle to honor the advertised current rate. If it doesn't, it should trip the vehicle off.
It doesn't request a charge rate on L3 either. What it requests is a voltage and it keeps upping that voltage monitoring current until it gets the charge current it wants. it has been informed by the EVSE how much mains current the connected circuit can supply. It will not request a voltage increase once that mains current limit is reached. f course the current limit can be anything less than the rated current as set by the operator via the vehicle software.

Perk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. Since the circuit is not rated for 125% of the continous device load of 15a, I would expect the 15a breaker to eventually trip.

And I had deleted my post because of your follow up response that said you were 100% calling this a litigious issue, and not a reality issue. So when I realized that, it was clear there was no need to discuss the merits of your argument, since that argument was not technical in nature.

But yes, a receptacle that is wired properly to deliver 40 amps will not cause spooky and mysterious bad things to happen if a device draws 40 amps from it. Even though the device should not be drawing more than 32 amps continuous. Even though the receptacle is rated for 50 amp delivery. Circuit protection is there for exactly that reason.

Perk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct and yes. The EVSE will pass as much current as the truck requests but the 14-50P adapter tells the EVSE to ask for no more than 32A. To get 40 or even 48A all you need is an adapter programmed for 40 (or 48)A.
I'm not saying either of those things [about the Rivian portable EVSE design] because I don't know which of those 2 possibilities has been implemented.
I was specifically asking about the Rivian portable EVSE that is included with the truck. It seemed that you were saying you only need a different adapter to pass more than 32a through that EVSE. Now it seems you must have been talking about some other EVSE.

So I don't believe that the Rivian portable EVSE will ever pass more than 32 amps (nor should it based on the wiring they have chosen for it).

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes. Since the circuit is not rated for 125% of the continous device load of 15a, I would expect the 15a breaker to eventually trip.
The circuit breakers used in residential applications have two tripping mechanisms. The magnetic trip is designed to clear faults (such as a short). The thermal mechanism is designed to de-energize overloaded circuits based on the size of the overload and its duration. A 15A load on a 15A breaker will never trip it. A 30A load on a 15A breaker will trip it in about 2 minutes. a 16A load on a 15A breaker will trip it in about 2 hrs etc. Note: the actual times depend on the class of breaker. Obviously things are done this way in order to allow appliance inrush current to be accommodated without tripping.

Outlets in a kitchen branch circuit are not the same as outlets that serve a single specific load. You can put 10 outlets on a 120V branch if you want to (though most won't put more than 5) into which you can obviously plug way more than 15A of appliances. But they are rarely, if ever, all turned on at the same time and if they are the breaker will trip. So the continuous and intermediate load rules don't apply. Plug a 15 A continuous load (heater) into a 15A kitchen outlet on a 15A breaker and it will stay on all night (unless you have other loads on the same branch circuit).

And I had deleted my post because of your follow up response that said you were 100% calling this a litigious issue, and not a reality issue. So when I realized that, it was clear there was no need to discuss the merits of your argument, since that argument was not technical in nature.
The NEC is written by the NFPA which is a consortium of individuals in the insurance and electrical industry. Its goal is to minimize the probability of fire (National Fire Prevention Association). Probability is a concept that most people don't understand hence, I think a lot of the confusion when people are confronted with it. The more current that flows is a circuit the hotter it gets and the hotter it gets the higher the probability of fire. If you reduce the current in a circuit by a factor of 0.8 the heat developed per unit time goes down by 36%. The temperature reached depends also on the time over which the heat is being developed, the insulation, the confinement, the ambient temperature etc. This is why we have the 80% derating requirement for loads that are on 3 hours or more.

Now the business with the NEMA 14-50R EVSE is that you can legally install one on a circuit that is rated 40A intermittent and thus 32A continuous. It looks to all the world like a NEMA 14-50R and if your 14-50R programmed EVSE allows the vehicle to take 40A from the circuit the circuit will probably be fine but the temperature will be higher and the probability of fire higher as well. The lawyers at Tesla and Rivian (but not all manufacturers) say to themselves "The probability of finding a 14-50R on a 40A circuit is low and the probability that if one is found and used at 40A there will be a fire is low too but it is not as low as if we limit our 40A EVSE to 32A so we will do that". Note that the previous generation of UMC did permit 40A from a 14-50R and that Tesla still sells a "Corded Mobile Connector" with 40A available from a 14-50P plug. The actuaries can can calculate the probability of fire for both 32 and 40A and from that the expected $ loss from 40A relative to 32. Reasoning that Tesla might be held responsible for some of that cost in this litigious world we live in today it is easy to tie the legal to the technical.

I hope some of this is understandable.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I was specifically asking about the Rivian portable EVSE that is included with the truck. It seemed that you were saying you only need a different adapter to pass more than 32a through that EVSE. Now it seems you must have been talking about some other EVSE.
I was speaking of EVSE in general. They are required to transmit a square wave that tells the vehicle how much current it can take from the EVSE. It is entirely plausible that Rivian will eventually off other adapters for other common 120 and 240 plugs.

So I don't believe that the Rivian portable EVSE will ever pass more than 32 amps (nor should it based on the wiring they have chosen for it).
I have not checked the wire size so I do not know. Other people sell portable EVSE (and I have recommended that Rivian owners consider the Tesla UMC in order to be able to access more outlet types) that will authorize 40 or even 48 A.

Last edited:

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Circuit protection is there for exactly that reason.
My old senior EE told me that you are specifically not supposed to rely on a breaker tripping as part of your safety plan when designing power electronics. That it won't pass regulatory body muster and get approved. Not sure if that's the case, but given how many houses in my neighborhood and around the world have circuit breakers in them that are known to not always trip properly, it feels correct. I wouldn't rely on a circuit breaker as my primary/only line of safety. The circuit breaker should be the suspenders (or rope over your shoulder) that don't let your pants fall down, only to be used after you have properly fitted pants and a belt on as your primary means.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
All this electrical engineering talk is great but I wonder what the actual lawyers on the board have to say. I'm sure someone has dug through the T&Cs of the Rivian by now?

I'm less worried about getting 10% more juice from a campsite plug than I am in explaining to my insurance company that I bought a random charger thingy from Amazon (because my message board friends suggested it) and I'm not really sure why my truck burned to the ground and set the nearby forest on fire. :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My old senior EE told me that you are specifically not supposed to rely on a breaker tripping as part of your safety plan when designing power electronics. That it won't pass regulatory body muster and get approved. Not sure if that's the case, but given how many houses in my neighborhood and around the world have circuit breakers in them that are known to not always trip properly, it feels correct. I wouldn't rely on a circuit breaker as my primary/only line of safety. The circuit breaker should be the suspenders (or rope over your shoulder) that don't let your pants fall down, only to be used after you have properly fitted pants and a belt on as your primary means.
That's definitely the right way to look at it. We killed a 30A breaker with a tt-30 at one of the campsites we stayed at after having plugged my adapted rivian portable in without adjusting the current down from 32A right away. Luckily it tripped dead instead of getting stuck on. I realized quite soon after first plugging it in that I hadn't changed the current limit, but it was too late by then.
Sponsored