Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

Has anyone checked out the new "Lock Only" when at home feature? I noticed that it locks when I walk away from it when I park it in the driveway. When I walk up to it with my phone in my pocket it, the doors stay locked as it should, but I am able to open the frunk, gear tunnel doors and tailgate. The charge port door and powered tonneau cover stay locked though. If I leave my phone "out of range" everything is locked and inaccessible but once I bring my phone back, same issues. I've done soft and hard resets with the same results. Somebody check this out and see if you have the same results.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Same here. I just tested it and while the truck stays locked all of the other things can open. I actually think I love this feature when my phone is in range at home.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

I am finding high drain when this feature is on. Sleeps for 1-15 minutes at a time. Losing 2.4kwh per day (from 0-0.2 before).

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Same here. I just tested it and while the truck stays locked all of the other things can open. I actually think I love this feature when my phone is in range at home.
I could see that being handy. Assuming the screen, HVAC, and whatever causes vampire drain isn't triggered

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am finding high drain when this feature is on. Sleeps for 1-15 minutes at a time. Losing 2.4kwh per day (from 0-0.2 before).
Well that’s not good if that’s the case!

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I am with you. I like this feature....a little time to get use to it, but not a big issue for me. I like it because sometimes all I want to do is open the frunk to put something in and then go back to whatever I was doing. Sometimes it does open the doors, but as soon as I walk away they lock. I also created a "shortcut" on my iPhone to lock the doors instead of going into the app.

portdirect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (QM), R1S (DM Large), EZGO RXV 48v
Occupation
Blinkenlight Hearder
I discovered this as well, which renders the feature somewhat useless for us. We usually store any valuables in the car, out of sight, in the frunk or gear tunnel. It's also quite alarming that this wasn't explained in either the release note or the documentation. I hope this is a bug that will be fixed soon, so we can confidently leave our trucks on the street, knowing they are locked. This is better than being uncertain if someone could simply open the gear tunnel or frunk.

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Same behavior for me as well. Lock should mean lock and not sorta kinda locked but not really. If anything there should be granular options for what gets locked with this feature if people want it this way.

I've turned the feature off for now as our truck is parked in the driveway and I don't need someone messing with the gear tunnel or tailgate buttons and finding they can get in.

I was in chat with Rivian support a few hours ago for a different issue regarding the mobile app after this last update, and I did mention this and asked them to look into whether it was intentional or not.

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner
Has anyone checked out the new "Lock Only" when at home feature? I noticed that it locks when I walk away from it when I park it in the driveway. When I walk up to it with my phone in my pocket it, the doors stay locked as it should, but I am able to open the frunk, gear tunnel doors and tailgate. The charge port door and powered tonneau cover stay locked though. If I leave my phone "out of range" everything is locked and inaccessible but once I bring my phone back, same issues. I've done soft and hard resets with the same results. Somebody check this out and see if you have the same results.
I have an S and yes frunk does open when in lock only mode and I'm losing 3%+ a day. I do like that "feature" but not if it increases drain. Just spoke with CS and they said vampire drain is normal and I called him out that others are also having higher vd after .1 OTA and the fact they removed .1 from anyone updating. I used to be around 1% a day. Said would add to my mobile request this month for my spare install. I turned off lock mode and changed to off when home and will see if that drains similar or that is what's causing it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DeanB1452

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

Same behavior for me as well. Lock should mean lock and not sorta kinda locked but not really. If anything there should be granular options for what gets locked with this feature if people want it this way.

I've turned the feature off for now as our truck is parked in the driveway and I don't need someone messing with the gear tunnel or tailgate buttons and finding they can get in.

I was in chat with Rivian support a few hours ago for a different issue regarding the mobile app after this last update, and I did mention this and asked them to look into whether it was intentional or not.
I called Rivian support and stayed on hold for 50 minutes before I got a live person. I let them know the issue and all the troubleshooting I did. I let them know that others are confirming the same issue and they took notes of everything. Hopefully this will be patched in December's update.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Every vehicle I've owned that has a proximity key let's you open the doors or trunk without needing to separately use the fob to press "unlock" to open the vehicle. Why is everyone assuming this is an "issue"? This is finally how it should work.

OP
OP
DeanB1452

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

Every vehicle I've owned that has a proximity key let's you open the doors or trunk without needing to separately use the fob to press "unlock" to open the vehicle. Why is everyone assuming this is an "issue"? This is finally how it should work.
Proximity worked fine...unlock when you walk up to your vehicle, lock when you walk away. Rivian created options due to people complaining that their vehicle would lock/unlock every time they went into their garage or driveway or even on the other side of the wall of an apartment. So the new option was designate a GPS home location and you could choose between normal lock/unlock, lock but don't unlock, or do nothing. Issue is that the lock but don't unlock is only partially locking the vehicle. The cabin is secure, but your secure areas are not secure anymore.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Proximity worked fine...unlock when you walk up to your vehicle, lock when you walk away. Rivian created options due to people complaining that their vehicle would lock/unlock every time they went into their garage or driveway or even on the other side of the wall of an apartment. So the new option was designate a GPS home location and you could choose between normal lock/unlock, lock but don't unlock, or do nothing. Issue is that the lock but don't unlock is only partially locking the vehicle. The cabin is secure, but your secure areas are not secure anymore.
How is the frunk not secure anymore? You said if you leave your phone "out of range" everything is locked and inaccessible but once you bring your phone back you can open the frunk. Nobody outside has access to opening the frunk unless you're on top of it with your phone.

I just tested it and it's working amazingly. If I walk away with my phone and let it lock, nothing can open if I leave my phone away from the vehicle. I then put my phone a few feet from the driver's side rear tire and only the driver side gear tunnel was unlocked. I tried to open the frunk, tailgate, and passenger gear tunnel and it would not open. I then moved my phone to the front of the vehicle, and then I could open the funk but not the gear tunnels or tailgate. I then moved the phone close to the passenger side gear tunnel and it would only allow me to open that side gear tunnel door. The frunk and driver side gear tunnel were locked. Moved my phone to back center of vehicle and I could open the tailgate (but not operate the tonneau cover) and the frunk and gear tunnel doors were locked. This is AMAZING. It knows exactly where I am standing with my phone and allows you me to press the physical button on the Rivian and open the appropriate door. Why is that a problem? Try it yourself and report back the results.

Note: I also tested how long once a phone is out of range before the Rivian recognized it was, and it was 10 seconds. I turned off my Bluetooth and could still open the nearest gear tunnel door, frunk, or tailgate for the next 10 seconds before it would get properly locked. It seems there's a lag between when Bluetooth signal is gone and when the vehicle recognizes it. Or maybe my phone is delayed at turning Bluetooth radio off.

OP
OP
DeanB1452

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

How is the frunk not secure anymore? You said if you leave your phone "out of range" everything is locked and inaccessible but once you bring your phone back you can open the frunk. Nobody outside has access to opening the frunk unless you're on top of it with your phone.

I just tested it and it's working amazingly. If I walk away with my phone and let it lock, nothing can open if I leave my phone away from the vehicle. I then put my phone a few feet from the driver's side rear tire and only the driver side gear tunnel was unlocked. I tried to open the frunk, tailgate, and passenger gear tunnel and it would not open. I then moved my phone to the front of the vehicle, and then I could open the funk but not the gear tunnels or tailgate. I then moved the phone close to the passenger side gear tunnel and it would only allow me to open that side gear tunnel door. The frunk and driver side gear tunnel were locked. Moved my phone to back center of vehicle and I could open the tailgate (but not operate the tonneau cover) and the frunk and gear tunnel doors were locked. This is AMAZING. It knows exactly where I am standing with my phone and allows you me to press the physical button on the Rivian and open the appropriate door. Why is that a problem? Try it yourself and report back the results.

Note: I also tested how long once a phone is out of range before the Rivian recognized it was, and it was 10 seconds. I turned off my Bluetooth and could still open the nearest gear tunnel door, frunk, or tailgate for the next 10 seconds before it would get properly locked. It seems there's a lag between when Bluetooth signal is gone and when the vehicle recognizes it. Or maybe my phone is delayed at turning Bluetooth radio off.
Christopher, Thank you for the extensive testing that you did. I went back out to my truck and tested again. When I set my phone by the frunk, it would only open the frunk and nothing else. I moved to the driver side gear tunnel and set my phone by the button. Even though it is in close proximity to the tailgate or even across to the other gear tunnel button, it only opened the closest gear tunnel. Same thing when I put my phone by the tailgate...nothing else would open except the tailgate. It pinpoints it so close! This is AMAZING! Nothing wrong with proximity locking at all!
Sponsored