Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

It's finally time to execute my long planned transport of my 2023 Quad Large Red Canyon R1S (affectionally named Pele 🌋) to the Big Island of Hawaii.

First, thanks to @domoplaytime for the trip report from Seattle to Maui a few months ago. Great notes. Learned a lot and I know it can be done successfully. I hope Pele's journey goes as smoothly.

I was hoping to write this upon successful transportation, but I'm instead going to document the legs and progress.

As @domoplaytime mentioned, shipping is via Matson. I'll be shipping from Long Beach, CA. There are some large annoyances with Matson, but there are no other options. Most notably:

- Charge level must be between 45% and 65% for an EV.
- There is a $300 EV surcharge!

It would be much more cost effective to pay the $1800 Rivian destination charge and take delivery directly in Hawaii, but there are reasons I did not do that and I'm comfortable with my decision (for now). I'll explain that later.

For anyone else planning to do this, I wanted to try to minimize idle time because of vampire drain, so I took a look at Matson's fleet and realized the Mokihana lists a capacity of 1323 autos (and 1994 TEU's whatever that means). So I looked up the sailing schedule and found the Mokihana is schedule to leave LA/Long Beach on Saturday, 1/20/2024:

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI 1704772824117

I emailed Matson (they don't answer the phone) and they confirmed Mokihana is the correct vessel for auto transport and that the vehicle would have to be dropped off by Tuesday, 1/16/2024 @ 4pm to make the 1/20/2024 sailing. So that's the target drop off date. However, when I sought enclosed shipping quotes from Phoenix to the Matson Long Beach harbor, the quotes were outrageous - $2000 to $2850. I found that to be ridiculous for 400 miles of transport, so I'm driving it myself and with my work schedule, I hope to drop off by this Friday, 1/12/2024.

Some notes on that:
- Windshield cannot have any cracks or large chips, so I hope the drive goes smoothly. I literally just completed a drive from the LA area to Phoenix in an R1S a couple weeks ago and that went very quite well. I hope it goes well again.
- Vehicle must be clean inside and out; charge level must be between 45 and 65%; and drop off hours are from Monday to Friday from 8:00am – 11:30am, 1:00pm – 4:00pm.
- So there are a lot of moving parts. I have to find a car wash, get the charge level as close to 65% as possible, and have to work within their drop off hours. I think I have all that figured out, but we'll see if I can execute it. I'll be posting about the journey here.

As far as pick up, this is a moving target as well. Aside from potential weather factors, according to the schedule I posted above, the Mokihana is scheduled to arrive in Hilo on Tuesday, 1/30/2024. However, my booking sheet lists a 2nd vessel voyage on what I think is a Young Brothers auto transport ship and an estimated pick up of Monday, 2/5/2024. I'm guessing the vehicle will need to sit in Honolulu for a bit for inspection, then get loaded for transportation to Hilo. We shall see.

I have shipped 2 vehicles from the mainland to the Big Island previously. I think one took 21 days and the other 28 days. Again, we shall see.

Some questions for the community:
1) Any suggestions of minimizing vampire drain? This is my current plan and feedback is welcome:
- Shipping mode (of course)
- Service mode (because why not?)
- Data and Privacy - going to turn everything off
- I already dropped an AirTag in the car
- Turn off Hot Spot, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth (I know the latter two may come back on when a door opens)
- Turn off all Proximity Lock/Unlock
- Turn off Climate Control
- Turn off all Gear Guard Options

Any other suggestions?

2) If anyone from Hilo is reading this, what are the most reliable charging stations in the area? I know HECO has a 50 kW L3 that is hit and miss. Any other reliable L3 or even L2 charging stations? The Target L2's look decent per PlugShare. I don't mind killing time in Hilo if I have to. If all goes well, I'm guessing my SOC will be around 30% at pickup. I can take the South Point route back to Kona rather than Saddle Road. It's longer, but slower speeds. I know there's an L3 at Punalu'u in Naalehu, but I don't know how reliable that is. Does that parking lot lock after hours? I can also take the northern Hamakua Coast route into Waimea as well if there are reliable charging stations along the way. Again, suggestions would be helpful. I'd like to be around 50% SOC for some cushion to get all the way back.

Mucho aloha! Wish Pele and me some luck!
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
OUTSTANDING - thank you for documenting this. We may be doing the same with our T at some point soon(ish).

For Hilo -> Waimea, it’s a climb (and descent) but only around 55-60 miles depending on route. I’m sure you’d be fine with 50%. If we use my (many) recent furniture transports as an indicator, it’s 10 days Carson CA to Kona port to port - I assume same for LB to Hilo. With everything turned off, I cannot imagine you’re over 1% per day. If you manage to plan your drop off at 65%, you should have way more than enough to make it. But I’m also paranoid so am interested to see how this goes.

I’ve gotten quotes around $2500 for the truck from SFO to Kona.

Super stoked to see this happening - please keep us (and me specifically, please!) posted.

Last edited:

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

- Service mode (because why not?)
I did not do this. I'd be worried about the vehicle being more active to collect telemetry. Who knows.

Your other proposals are fine, but the key ones are shipping mode, gear guard off and proximity locking off.

Before your drive, buy an emergency windshield repair kit to seal a small chip if you get one along the way. There are some good threads on this forum with suggested products.

Good luck, and thanks for posting your upcoming trip!

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I did not do this. I'd be worried about the vehicle being more active to collect telemetry. Who knows.

Your other proposals are fine, but the key ones are shipping mode, gear guard off and proximity locking off.

Before your drive, buy an emergency windshield repair kit to seal a small chip if you get one along the way. There are some good threads on this forum with suggested products.

Good luck, and thanks for posting your upcoming trip!
I think the current version of Service Mode was released only about a month ago - maybe in the .46 update?

It basically turns off mobile commands and Gear Guard. I don’t think that’ll hurt anything in terms of drain.

Rivian R1T R1S Aloha, Rivian R1S 🏝️!  -- Transporting Rivian from Phoenix, AZ to Kailua Kona, HI IMG_1060

Quick question - did you give Matson your FOB only and hang on to your key cards as back up or did you hand over any key cards as well?

Sponsored

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I am in Kona now looking to buy property and definitely bringing my R1T over since it has proven very reliably for the last 15 months (save for the busted Tonneau). Have not seen any Rivians here yet, but seen lots for Ford Lightnings. Saw a bunch of Rivians in Maui last month. Very cool. Thank you very much for posting all of the excellent information and for future information. Very helpful.
Maholo

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I was in HI on the Big Island back in September, and I saw very few EVs. I wanted to rent one, but honestly a M3 is not a "luxury vehicle" and should not command the extremely high prices they wanted to charge for it. Plus, the charging options circling the island were not very good. So regrettably we rented a Subaru. Which turned out to be great, because it could go most places a Jeep could but cost a lot less.

Didn't see a single Rivian. Unlike here in the Seattle area, where I pass 5 or more Rivians on literally every drive I take. This surprised me, because I would have thought that HI was an ideal place for EVs - lots of sun so solar pays off quickly, and not a lot of distance to drive so charging at home is a huge cost savings.

My tonneau has been extremely reliable - I have open/closed it at least twice every day for the past 15 months. Cycled it 6 times just today ... I'm sure the new version is far more reliable, so when you get yours fixed I'm sure you will be happy with it.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I was in HI on the Big Island back in September, and I saw very few EVs. I wanted to rent one, but honestly a M3 is not a "luxury vehicle" and should not command the extremely high prices they wanted to charge for it. Plus, the charging options circling the island were not very good. So regrettably we rented a Subaru. Which turned out to be great, because it could go most places a Jeep could but cost a lot less.

Didn't see a single Rivian. Unlike here in the Seattle area, where I pass 5 or more Rivians on literally every drive I take. This surprised me, because I would have thought that HI was an ideal place for EVs - lots of sun so solar pays off quickly, and not a lot of distance to drive so charging at home is a huge cost savings.

My tonneau has been extremely reliable - I have open/closed it at least twice every day for the past 15 months. Cycled it 6 times just today ... I'm sure the new version is far more reliable, so when you get yours fixed I'm sure you will be happy with it.
🤙 That is what I am hoping and I agree that Hawaii should be an excellent EV area. Lots of sun, lots of solar, expensive gas, short trips. The Rivians should be perfect as you need 4WD for a lot of interesting places.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Congrats on finally making this happen! Why do they need the vehicle to be clean and no windshield cracks?

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Look for posts from @rivian_germany - it seems he figured out the safest way to ship a Rivian a long distance. Namely, disconnect the HV battery so there will be essentially no drain while shipping. It's a pretty easy procedure.
Not an option unfortunately. The vehicle needs to be drivable so they can drive it off and on the ship. I don't envision Matson staff willing to disconnect and re-connect a battery.

Didn't see a single Rivian.
There are a handful on island. I've been keeping an informal tally. A Launch Green R1S owner has posted here. I see a white R1T semi-regularly in Kona - even parked where I rent office space. I was biking in downtown Kona a few months ago and that white R1T passed me right by the volleyball court. A friend in Waimea sent me a photo of a Compass Yellow R1T parked at the KTA up there.

The Rivians should be perfect as you need 4WD for a lot of interesting places.
Oh yes - I plan to take Pele to Makalawena. That road is a bit nasty, but doable. I'd also like to do the full Mana road. I only did half of that in my Cherokee. I took Road to Sea over Thanksgiving. I'm actually a little worried about Mauna Kea summit and Waipio Valley due to reports of limited regen. The large vehicle size won't help on Waipio either.

Congrats on finally making this happen! Why do they need the vehicle to be clean and no windshield cracks?
Probably for liability purposes and damage claims. A friend of mine bought a RAM in Oregon and shipped it to the Big Island. Vehicle arrived with a big old dent in the bumper cover. Matson took full responsibility and fixed it, but a clean and undamaged vehicle at drop off helps with such damage claims.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Look for posts from @rivian_germany - it seems he figured out the safest way to ship a Rivian a long distance. Namely, disconnect the HV battery so there will be essentially no drain while shipping. It's a pretty easy procedure.
IIRC, @rivian_germany disconnected the 12V batts not the HV battery. It just so happens that when you disconnect the 12V batts (or single 12V battery in post march 2023 build Rivian's) that kills everything south of the HV contactors so there is no more vampire drain on the big battery pack other then the normal 1% per month self-discharge loss observed in all Li-Ion chemistry cells.

Last edited:

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
Hanalei, Kauai here- took delivery in Bend, OR., $650 ship Bend to Oakland 5-21-23 on private carrier- you are correct, HNL to off islands on Young Bros.- you did everything I did- I wouldn’t touch 12v battery. Mine was fine.
We have 5 Rivian on island. I believe the service center in HNL is scheduled
to be open in fall of this year- building is already existing, just a $15 million remodel.
Good luck- in hind sight, I worried way to much about the logistics.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Quick question - did you give Matson your FOB only and hang on to your key cards as back up or did you hand over any key cards as well?
I gave them only my fob, with a new battery just in case. Be sure to attach a label to it with your name. I also wrote Blue Rivian on the label for mine.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Nice outline, haven’t sent a vehicle on Matson since 2000. We are planning on sending out T to Oahu later this year and keeping our S in CO. I used to contract to HECO so grab that V2H charger as soon as they come available. Will watch your updates once it lands,

Maybe I missed it, do they go direct to outer islands now, or into Sand Island then out on YB? When I moved to Kauai in 1990 had to use YB for putter island transport.
Mahalo 🤙
Sponsored