Sponsored

Anyone replace their wiper blades yet?

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Looking into replacements. Have had good experiences with PIAA silicone in the past. Measured them out to be 24" driver side and 18" passenger. The stock wiper blades are pretty good so far -- anyone know who makes them or where we can get new ones?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Take a wiper blade in with you to a parts store if not listed. Or if the oem ones are working well, stick with those.

I like bosch icon.

OP
OP

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Take a wiper blade in with you to a parts store if not listed. Or if the oem ones are working well, stick with those.

I like bosch icon.
I'm not a fan of the armature-free blade wipers. They never seem to make 100% contact for the full length of the blade for the full life of the blade. They also tend to torque out of shape when moving back and forth.

I've had pretty good luck with the PIAA silicones on my past 2 vehicles. The armatures start rusting before the blades are dead (3+ years).

Waiting for basic maintenance items to appear on the Rivian Gear Shop (wipers, air filters, ????).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm not a fan of the armature-free blade wipers. They never seem to make 100% contact for the full length of the blade for the full life of the blade. They also tend to torque out of shape when moving back and forth.

I've had pretty good luck with the PIAA silicones on my past 2 vehicles. The armatures start rusting before the blades are dead (3+ years).

Waiting for basic maintenance items to appear on the Rivian Gear Shop (wipers, air filters, ????).
I’m lucky to get two years out of wiper blades before they’re worn. Winter is a factor. The beam type wiper blades are much better at maintaining glass contact in adverse conditions, and are less subject to icing up.

OP
OP

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I’m lucky to get two years out of wiper blades before they’re worn. Winter is a factor. The beam type wiper blades are much better at maintaining glass contact in adverse conditions, and are less subject to icing up.
Ah, that explains it. Here in Cali. we don't have to worry about iced wipers. I'm sure my silicone wipers would have lasted 5+ years if I oiled the armature and didn't trade it the car :cool:

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I like bosch icon.
Well, I got Bosch Icon and am regretting it. The driver side left/bottom edge is dragging and skipping. Any suggestions?

OP
OP

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Well, I got Bosch Icon and am regretting it. The driver side left/bottom edge is dragging and skipping. Any suggestions?
I swapped in the PIAA super silicone and they are great as usual. Need to figure out how to reach the center of the windshield and so I can apply Aquapel...

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I swapped in the PIAA super silicone and they are great as usual. Need to figure out how to reach the center of the windshield and so I can apply Aquapel...
I used a step stool and just did a coat of Aquapel, not impressed with that either. I deep cleaned it with a clay bar to pull everything off (brand new windshield, too). I had my truck ceramic coated before and not sure what they put on the original glass, but it worked way better.

OP
OP

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I used a step stool and just did a coat of Aquapel, not impressed with that either. I deep cleaned it with a clay bar to pull everything off (brand new windshield, too). I had my truck ceramic coated before and not sure what they put on the original glass, but it worked way better.
Is it your first time using Aquapel? I've had good results for over 1 year after application on previous vehicles. The beauty of it is once you get up to 50+ mph, the water just sheets away and you can turn off your wipers.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Is it your first time using Aquapel? I've had good results for over 1 year after application on previous vehicles. The beauty of it is once you get up to 50+ mph, the water just sheets away and you can turn off your wipers.
First time applying Aquapel, yes. I had some hydrophobic coating on my first windshield that did that, but not sure what they used.

It could be user error in application, or bad product. I cleaned the glass, clay barred it, then cleaned again. Super clean. Started to apply Aquapel and it only covered one side, then did another on the other side. Wiped away within 5 minutes of application and didn't let dry. I followed the steps from here:

Sponsored

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just ran across this post and I thought I read that silicone coating blades and hydrophobic coating would mess up the water detection for the automatic wiper settings?

OP
OP

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just ran across this post and I thought I read that silicone coating blades and hydrophobic coating would mess up the water detection for the automatic wiper settings?
You won't need the auto detection once you have aquapel installed! LOL

I rarely use the auto setting on any of my cars. I like to be able to predict when my vision is obscured...

joey128

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi A8 & Q7, Ford Exc PSD
Occupation
Tech
I had the opposite experience w/ my stock wipers. They are already very streaky and it only started raining here in the Bay Area. I got my S back in Sept and it was in the SC after for nearly 7 wks shortly after delivery so really, I've only had the vehicle for 3 mos and 2100 miles. Perhaps I got a bum batch of wipers but I don't plan to replace it w/ OEM based on my experience.
Sponsored