Sponsored

Are all Tesla superchargers now available to Rivian or only specific ones?

Yellow R1T

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Cost Engineering
I will try a Tesla location that does not require adapter tomorrow using the Rivian app. Luckily there is one in Ann Arbor, MI, a couple miles off my road trip. I should not need the juice but will test out to verify it works. Electrify America and Sam's club chargers have been maybe 50% reliability due to no spaces or super slow charging in the past when on road trips.
Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Most of them are open with the exception of older V2 Superchargers.

Like other members have said your navigation software should only send you to compatible chargers.

If you think you’ll use the Superchargers frequently (It’s way cheaper to charge at home.) and you want to save money, use the Tesla app and subscribe to their $12 a month membership. That’s only if you travel a lot and home charging isn’t available.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I will try a Tesla location that does not require adapter tomorrow using the Rivian app. Luckily there is one in Ann Arbor, MI, a couple miles off my road trip. I should not need the juice but will test out to verify it works. Electrify America and Sam's club chargers have been maybe 50% reliability due to no spaces or super slow charging in the past when on road trips.
The Magic Dock should work fine. If you really want to see your vehicle charge rapidly get your battery down below 50% at least. If you’re just topping it off it’s going to be super slow as you’re trying to cram electrons into a tighter space.

Yellow R1T

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Cost Engineering
The Magic Dock should work fine. If you really want to see your vehicle charge rapidly get your battery down below 50% at least. If you’re just topping it off it’s going to be super slow as you’re trying to cram electrons into a tighter space.
The magic dock worked great, drove up, pressed Tesla handle for 2 seconds, removed with adapter attached, plugged in and after maybe 10 seconds started charging at 145kw. My battery was at 65% and only added 5% as test. R1T was set to 70% and shutoff automatically. As easy as could be. When I get an adapter, I expect to use the Tesla app since that seems a little cheaper per kw but now I have a reliable Tesla charging station to use on main highway I use. Much more assured that Tesla recharging will work vs other 3rd party. Now just have to wait for the adapter.

The ability to use the Tesla charging, has let me 100% decide to keep my R1T. No more worrying about charging on the road which was big drawback on my 2 longer road trips where I had to waste 30 min to an hour looking for chargers that were functioning, actually connected and were at least 50kw. Big charging deserts in Michigan area. The ones at Sam's club were the only ones I could rely on before but those were often busy. No bueno when you want to get home in the dark.

So happy this frees me up to go many more places.

Last edited:

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
The magic dock worked great, drove up, pressed Tesla handle for 2 seconds, removed with adapter attached, plugged in and after maybe 10 seconds started charging at 145kw. My battery was at 65% and only added 5% as test. R1T was set to 70% and shutoff automatically. As easy as could be. When I get an adapter, I expect to use the Tesla app since that seems a little cheaper per kw but now I have a reliable Tesla charging station to use on main highway I use. Much more assured that Tesla recharging will work vs other 3rd party. Now just have to wait for the adapter.

The ability to use the Tesla charging, has let me 100% decide to keep my R1T. No more worrying about charging on the road which was big drawback on my 2 longer road trips where I had to waste 30 min to an hour looking for chargers that were functioning, actually connected and were at least 50kw. Big charging deserts in Michigan area. The ones at Sam's club were the only ones I could rely on before but those were often busy. No bueno when you want to get home in the dark.

So happy this frees me up to go many more places.
That’s great! I think this will help more people transition to EVs. Even if it’s just one of their vehicles. If I’m reading this correctly, 59.1% of Americans own 2 or more vehicles.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/car-ownership-statistics/#many_americans_section
Sponsored