First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
I am only 2 weeks into an R1T ownership and am looking for any best practices..

I have the truck set to only unlock the driver's door when I walk up (PaaK) as I am usually alone and I consider it a security issue to have all doors always unlock. But when my wife or a friend is with me, I either 1) stumble with the Phone App trying to unlock all doors as we walk up, usually re-locking the vehicle before it wants to unlock all doors after we are standing there for a minute; or 2) quickly climb inside to press the unlock button on the center dash. Both are awkward and leaves the others waiting.

What am I missing.. other than carrying the key fob and pressing unlock twice, is there a better solution to unlocking all doors when walking up to the vehicle?
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

get in and say "Alexa unlock the doors"? Haven't tested, but once it recognizes you to unlock the Driver's side it should allow voice command.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
get in and say "Alexa unlock the doors"? Haven't tested, but once it recognizes you to unlock the Driver's side it should allow voice command.
Allowing anything unlock/disarm via voice is frowned upon form a security standpoint. A car-jacker/thief could just yell at the truck through the windows while you are at a stoplight and be in. Therefore, I highly doubt that Alexa unlock will ever be a thing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Change the setting to unlock all the doors or have to hit a button, of which you've already describe the three available options, manually, to do it.

Sponsored

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

My home automation has the same limit on verbal unlocks. I was just guessing that maybe once the PAAK had unlocked one door it might be possible.

Just tested my R1S and you are correct.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Using the key fob hit the unlock button twice

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
You lock and unlock by app, then it will present all handles. It’s proximity unlock that will only present driver door handle when you have driver-only enabled. Or, you get in first, tap unlock on center screen. Minor inconvenience.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Same. We find the proximity/PAAK is too clunky. Even when it's just me and I need to toss something in the back seat or cargo. I'm sure it works for others and I'm glad it is an option for those that find it useful.

Using the fob is the [unfortunate] solution.

It is unfortunate because even the fob has been clunky for us. Its design (feeling for buttons in your pocket) is ambiguous, its range seems poor/inconsistent, the R1's response to buttons is slow/inconsistent. We just installed .42.1 so maybe we'll see some improvement.

It is a bit infuriating that Rivian re-imagined vehicle access to be functionally worse than my mid-2000's Audi and Honda.

Oh, and consider turning off auto-lock. The R1 will not hesitate to lock your phone and fob in the vehicle - you've been warned.
Sponsored