Sponsored

California DMV Registration Renewal

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I just noticed today that it’s been a year and my tags are supposed to expire this month (March).
I haven’t gotten anything from the DMV. So I went to their site, entered my license plate number and the last 5 of my VIN and it says:

“Invalid vehicle or vessel information.”

anyone renew in CA yet? Anything strange about your process?
Sponsored

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
I just noticed today that it’s been a year and my tags are supposed to expire this month (March).
I haven’t gotten anything from the DMV. So I went to their site, entered my license plate number and the last 5 of my VIN and it says:

I just renewed, no issues that I know of (yet). I renewed online.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Hmm I just realized this as well and I'm getting the exact same thing?!?!

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hmm I just realized this as well and I'm getting the exact same thing?!?!
I’m guessing RIVIAN screwed something up when they registered the car for us to begin with. I’ll stop by AAA tomorrow and find out.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m guessing RIVIAN screwed something up when they registered the car for us to begin with. I’ll stop by AAA tomorrow and find out.
Please keep us in the loop

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I know my plates shipped directly from Rivian and not the DMV so I'm assuming they got my renewal notice :(

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Do you have your registration card? Is that all legit? Did you make sure to select commercial? This is super weird!

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I'm a couple of months away from renewal, but I just checked mine and I get the same error message on the CA DMV site. My registration and title have the correct address. Please let us know what you find out.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Oh. Huh. Same.

Sponsored

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
I experienced the exact same thing. No renewal in the mail, and using the website or kiosk in Safeway didn't work.. Ended up having to go to the DMV, they had a hell of a time trying to identify the vehicle type, 3 agents later and I got my nearly $1200 renewal taken care of.

I asked if this was something that could be corrected they said they could send an email but.... Expect this will be the normal operation year over year..

Not very encouraging..

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I experienced the exact same thing. No renewal in the mail, and using the website or kiosk in Safeway didn't work.. Ended up having to go to the DMV, they had a hell of a time trying to identify the vehicle type, 3 agents later and I got my nearly $1200 renewal taken care of.

I asked if this was something that could be corrected they said they could send an email but.... Expect this will be the normal operation year over year..

Not very encouraging..
Are you in CA also? EFFF ME! $1200! I was expecting it to be closer to $800. lol

So far having an electric vehicle has been waaaay more costly in CA than an ICE equivelant.
My insurance cost doubled, my electricity cost is ridiculous here in OC, and registration is going to suck too it seems. I didn't but an R1T to save money of course, but I didn't anticipate my costs nearly doubling either. Worth it.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So i just got back from AAA and talked to them in length about it.

She was able to look everything up and everything looked fine, address matched, no locks on renewal for recalls, or anything else weird. She told me my registration reminder was sent in October which she found weird because it's usually only 90 days before.

Either way I paid the $1180 and went on my way. As for why registration is so expensive in CA, not only is it based on value but also that since we don't pay a traditional "fuel tax", they add that on to the cost of $314.

One other odd thing to note, I tried my wife's car on the DMV website (due in August) and got the same invalid vehicle message so maybe their website is just jacked up right now and they aren't saying anything.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

One other odd thing to note, I tried my wife's car on the DMV website (due in August) and got the same invalid vehicle message so maybe their website is just jacked up right now and they aren't saying anything.
It says that for all vehicles if you're not within 60 days of renewal.

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Are you in CA also? EFFF ME! $1200! I was expecting it to be closer to $800. lol

So far having an electric vehicle has been waaaay more costly in CA than an ICE equivelant.
My insurance cost doubled, my electricity cost is ridiculous here in OC, and registration is going to suck too it seems. I didn't but an R1T to save money of course, but I didn't anticipate my costs nearly doubling either. Worth it.
Yup I'm in northern California. It was $1180 ish plus a $24 processing fee.
Sponsored