Sponsored

California DMV Registration Renewal

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Are you in CA also? EFFF ME! $1200! I was expecting it to be closer to $800. lol

So far having an electric vehicle has been waaaay more costly in CA than an ICE equivelant.
My insurance cost doubled, my electricity cost is ridiculous here in OC, and registration is going to suck too it seems. I didn't but an R1T to save money of course, but I didn't anticipate my costs nearly doubling either. Worth it.
We are taxed to death in CA. I call it the weather tax for the privilege to live near the coast.

You probably know this already but just in case.

Do you live in the area for SCE or SDG&E?

If SDG&E, there is TOU-EV5 that has super off-peak (00.00~06.00 wk, 00.00~14.00 wknd) at $0.10/kW/h. Since I live in SDG&E area, I don't know the SCE rates but I believe someone here mentioned that there is TOU rate for those with EVs.

The insurance-wise, we use Costco insurance (Connect, formerly Amex/Ameriprise Insurance) for both home and auto. Have you ever looked into it? We cannot find anything lower for the same coverage both home and auto.
Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I'm grateful that I charge for free at work and I have 3 RAN's on my normal routes. Electricity costs and taxes in CA suck! That's why most Californians retire in other states. LOL

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

We are taxed to death in CA. I call it the weather tax for the privilege to live near the coast.

You probably know this already but just in case.

Do you live in the area for SCE or SDG&E?

If SDG&E, there is TOU-EV5 that has super off-peak (00.00~06.00 wk, 00.00~14.00 wknd) at $0.10/kW/h. Since I live in SDG&E area, I don't know the SCE rates but I believe someone here mentioned that there is TOU rate for those with EVs.

The insurance-wise, we use Costco insurance (Connect, formerly Amex/Ameriprise Insurance) for both home and auto. Have you ever looked into it? We cannot find anything lower for the same coverage both home and auto.
SCE's rates for the ev program are still really high, off peak is $0.22 in my area.
I have the Costco insurance it was about half of what my old carrier was charging. It's basically the only good option now.
And yes, CA sucks ass now and if it wasn't for family and friends I would move out as fast as my R1T can go.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

No Rivian yet for me but the last time I got that invalid statement online for CA DMV registration, it was a zeros and o’s discrepancy that did it. JB

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
No Rivian yet for me but the last time I got that invalid statement online for CA DMV registration, it was a zeros and o’s discrepancy that did it. JB
That is true for the license plates. Zero is not a valid character on your plate.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
So i just got back from AAA and talked to them in length about it.

She was able to look everything up and everything looked fine, address matched, no locks on renewal for recalls, or anything else weird. She told me my registration reminder was sent in October which she found weird because it's usually only 90 days before.

Either way I paid the $1180 and went on my way. As for why registration is so expensive in CA, not only is it based on value but also that since we don't pay a traditional "fuel tax", they add that on to the cost of $314.

One other odd thing to note, I tried my wife's car on the DMV website (due in August) and got the same invalid vehicle message so maybe their website is just jacked up right now and they aren't saying anything.
Wow $314? It is supposed to be a yearly max of $175 in Kalifornia, aside from the increased initial EV fee when you buy it.

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
Are you in CA also? EFFF ME! $1200! I was expecting it to be closer to $800. lol

So far having an electric vehicle has been waaaay more costly in CA than an ICE equivelant.
My insurance cost doubled, my electricity cost is ridiculous here in OC, and registration is going to suck too it seems. I didn't but an R1T to save money of course, but I didn't anticipate my costs nearly doubling either. Worth it.
To add to the knowledge. My Mach E has a registration renewal of $677.

RTChiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Clubs

Thank you for your post - I did not receive a reminder and checking online today DMV says I owe $1657!!!! Which includes lots of penalties!!

Current Registration65.00
Current California Highway Patrol30.00
Current Weight Fee266.00
Current Vehicle License Fee443.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee1.00
Current Air Quality Management District6.00
Current South Coast Air Basin1.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee3.00
Current Vehicle Theft/DUI 22.00
Road Improvement Fee108.00
Current Transportation Improvement Fee206.00
Current Registration Penalty30.00
CHP Penalty30.00
Current Weight Penalty160.00
Current Vehicle License Fee Penalty265.00
1960 Legacy Renewal ELP40.00

I am shocked!!! On the registration my address is correct but I never received a reminder and am 40 days late as a result.

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Just saw a FB post. I am 45 days out and getting the DMV error message etc. I got random plates via Rivian and then got Legacy plates via the DMV. I'm in the system but something is wrong.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Same exact thing happened to me. I was suppose to renew in March but did not realize anything until mid-April. Talked with the DMV using their online chat and apparently it never got sent out by the DMV. Had to process the renewal online with the help of the chat and got tags within a couple weeks. I was not ready for the $1200 price tag though :mad:
Sponsored