Sponsored

Carplay on Rivian Workaround

Riv_Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thats odd, especially considering they offer a 12V accessory plug for the under the dash outlet if you don’t want to use the fuse box tap. Not sure why their USB-C cable charger would be special.
It's not special. The only thing to be aware of is it won't work with USB-C power delivery chargers. I used a standard Anker USB-A to USB-C cable and an old small white iPhone power brick and it worked fine (just as a test to see if I really liked it before installing it in my R1S). However, It did not work with a USB-C PD charger and a standard USB-C to USB-C cable.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's not special. The only thing to be aware of is it won't work with USB-C power delivery chargers. I used a standard Anker USB-A to USB-C cable and an old small white iPhone power brick and it worked fine (just as a test to see if I really liked it before installing it in my R1S). However, It did not work with a USB-C PD charger and a standard USB-C to USB-C cable.
For the record I have tried:

-12V under the dash using a power plug I bought at Target
-USB-C on the truck (both in the console and behind the seat)
-My Goal Zero power station that has both a 60W PD and an 18W QC plugs
-Generic power brick I bought on Amazon that has both USB-A and UBS-C

If it won’t work under any of those situations I can’t imagine it is worth trying the fuse tap. The folks over @EV Sportline customer service unfortunately have not responded so I’m left with you guys trying to give me support and frustrated I can’t get the thing working.

Apologies @jkahlon as I guess this discussion is unrelated to your workaround. I may end up trying it

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
This is the 12V outlet adapter I've been using since day one.. I use it via it's USB-C port and it works flawlessly with the EV Sportline screen..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLYX8SHZ

OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
@jjswan33 not at all, here I was thinking there is no way, thanks to all of you now I know there are at least 3 different ways to do this 👍

zonehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
200 Series Land Cruiser, R1T Adventure FG (Sold)
I really do hope Rivian decides to integrate CarPlay.

I dont want another auxiliary screen but for me apple carplay gives me things that the Rivian UI doesnt.

It's an adventure vehicle, things like Gaia GPS, onX Offroad, Weather, and even now my Garmin Powerswitch to power my auxillery lighting, GMRS, and WeBoost are all things Carplay makes native through the screen.

Besides that, more mapping options for on road driving and texting functions make it so much better and desired then what Rivian provides today.

Please Rivian you will absolutely move a few more vehicles if you simply offer AA and CarPlay.

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

If it won’t work under any of those situations I can’t imagine it is worth trying the fuse tap. The folks over @EV Sportline customer service unfortunately have not responded so I’m left with you guys trying to give me support and frustrated I can’t get the thing working.

Apologies @jkahlon as I guess this discussion is unrelated to your workaround. I may end up trying it

Hi there - I would like to look into how you have been communicating with us and no one replies; email, chat, PM, call, voicemail? Doesn't sound right. Please PM me some details so I can investigate!

To answer the question, did you use the fuse tap we provided - that works, or it should - did you try it?. The other things you mention, I am not sure how we would know if any of those random things work - but I can tell you the USB-C on the truck do not work, we've covered that a few times.

Thanks!

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

I really do hope Rivian decides to integrate CarPlay.

I dont want another auxiliary screen but for me apple carplay gives me things that the Rivian UI doesnt.

It's an adventure vehicle, things like Gaia GPS, onX Offroad, Weather, and even now my Garmin Powerswitch to power my auxillery lighting, GMRS, and WeBoost are all things Carplay makes native through the screen.

Besides that, more mapping options for on road driving and texting functions make it so much better and desired then what Rivian provides today.

Please Rivian you will absolutely move a few more vehicles if you simply offer AA and CarPlay.
BTW - Gaia GPS, onX Hunt do work with our Smart Screen (via CarPlay).

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hi there - I would like to look into how you have been communicating with us and no one replies; email, chat, PM, call, voicemail? Doesn't sound right. Please PM me some details so I can investigate!

To answer the question, did you use the fuse tap we provided - that works, or it should - did you try it?. The other things you mention, I am not sure how we would know if any of those random things work - but I can tell you the USB-C on the truck do not work, we've covered that a few times.

Thanks!
For the record I did send an email with a video and haven’t gotten a reply 4 days later. And a generic use what we provided (the most involved install method) even know you say can use the 12V outlet under the dash is garbage.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

@jjswan33 First, @EV Sportline delivers a 100% working solution out of the box, but of course, some of us are tinkerers and like to "mod" everything, including myself (See below)! Next, look how quickly they released revised firmware to address forum member input - as compared to the cheap Chinese stuff you find on Amazon (that usually comes with units and translations issues) - I had one of these prior to getting the EV Sportline version.

Okay, the 12v dash plug use - You say you can't get it to work... the issue is with the charger you selected, and not the display.

I created a detailed thread on this and installation of the @EV Sportline display (that I use for CarPlay). Re powering the display from the 12v dash socket, see --

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/master-thread-jebinc’s-installation-tips-and-review-of-1ev-ev-sportline-carplay-android-auto-display-kit.22269/page-2#post-451371

AND my subsequent posts - #46, 47, 52 and most importantly, #55!

To each! 🍻

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

@jjswan33 First, @EV Sportline delivers a 100% working solution out of the box, but of course, some of us are tinkerers and like to "mod" everything, including myself (See below)! Next, look how quickly they released revised firmware to address forum member input - as compared to the cheap Chinese stuff you find on Amazon (that usually comes with units and translations issues) - I had one of these prior to getting the EV Sportline version.

Okay, the 12 dash plug use - You say you can't get it to work... the issue is with the charger you selected, and not the display.

I created a detailed thread on this and installation of the @EV Sportline display (that I use for CarPlay). Re powering the display from the 12v dash socket, see --

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/master-thread-jebinc’s-installation-tips-and-review-of-1ev-ev-sportline-carplay-android-auto-display-kit.22269/page-2#post-451371

AND my subsequent posts - #46, 47 and most importantly, #52!

To each! 🍻
Well it’s a good thing that @EV Sportline has someone providing support, I hope you’re getting a salary. Not trying to mod everything, I just wanted to plug it in under the dash to try this out rather than dealing with a full install. For the record I did try an 18W QC port as I mentioned already and got nothing.

It doesn’t really matter though, I’m frustrated with dealing with it and for that matter I am frustrated with EV Sportline. I don’t think I will do business with them again. For the record it isn’t just based on this interaction but the whole of my experience with them.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Well it’s a good thing that @EV Sportline has someone providing support, I hope you’re getting a salary. Not trying to mod everything, I just wanted to plug it in under the dash to try this out rather than dealing with a full install. For the record I did try an 18W QC port as I mentioned already and got nothing.

It doesn’t really matter though, I’m frustrated with dealing with it and for that matter I am frustrated with EV Sportline. I don’t think I will do business with them again. For the record it isn’t just based on this interaction but the whole of my experience with them.

No salary! 😆

The dash 12v solution works just fine, you can't use the USB-C port on those little aftermarket chargers, as noted in my links above.

Free Will: I have not had the same issues with this vendor as you, so not sure what's going on there.... But, as I said earlier, "To each"!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No salary! 😆

The dash 12v solution works just fine, you can't use the USB-C port on those little aftermarket chargers, as noted in my links above.

Free Will: I have not had the same issues with this vendor as you, so not sure what's going on there.... But, as I said earlier, "To each"!
@jjswan33 Looks like @EV Sportline also sells this, for those not wanting to use the provided fuse box connection, and for those few that actually have a 12v dash socket! Thanks to Sandy "cheapening" Munro, Rivian deleted that a long time ago (along with many other things)!

https://evsportline.com/products/ri...wer-port-usb-c-cord-for-team-1ev-smart-screen

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

No salary! 😆

I seem to recall some friction regarding a jack puck but then they paid you off ;)

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I seem to recall some friction regarding a jack puck but then they paid you off ;)

Ah yes, that's right...
I jumped straight into attack mode on that, unfortunately. The facts as I recall are; I purchased a gen 1 puck, right before gen 2 was released, and felt screwed. I complained loudly and @EV Sportline reminded me of their upgrade policy. I just had to pay the cost to ship the gen 2, and didn't have to repurchase - not exactly a "pay-off". I think that's right.... If not, EVS will likely correct me, ha ha....

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Ah yes, that's right...
I jumped straight into attack mode on that, unfortunately. The facts as I recall are; I purchased a gen 1 puck, right before gen 2 was released, and felt screwed. I complained loudly and @EV Sportline reminded me of their upgrade policy. I just had to pay the cost to ship the gen 2, and didn't have to repurchase - not exactly a "pay-off". I think that's right.... If not, EVS will likely correct me, ha ha....
More or less that is what I recall as I also had pre-orders for jack pucks that were ’obsolete’ before they even shipped, I didn’t bother exchanging. I was joking when I said they paid you off, either way glad you are happy with their service.
Sponsored