First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
Have been waiting patiently for Rivian (love the vehicle) to announce some kind of solution for Apple CarPlay, does not look like anything is coming.

Saw this innovative idea providing the link below.

Seriously thinking of going in for this, debating between a iPad mini or iPad air. The back-plate should be easy to create in case nothing is available.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Not really a CarPlay work around but a tablet mourning kit. Been using it without CarPlay for a year, I miss it but it is fine.

Reactions: Coj

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Have been waiting patiently for Rivian (love the vehicle) to announce some kind of solution for Apple CarPlay, does not look like anything is coming.

Saw this innovative idea providing the link below.

Seriously thinking of going in for this, debating between a iPad mini or iPad air. The back-plate should be easy to create in case nothing is available.

If there was an app which could run on an iPad and provide CarPlay or Android Auto then this would interest me. As it is, having a tablet within armā€™s reach on a mount doesnā€™t strike me as any safer than having a phone within armā€™s reach on a mount. I want the less visually-distracting, voice interface of CarPlay so Iā€™ll be getting one of these https://evsportline.com/collections...-carplay-smart-dash-screen-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
Evsportline option is great too, they have the end to end solution. For the first option once you mount your iPad, you can use his shortcuts and connect through bluetooth to Rivian music screen plus audio system.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
Evsportline option is great too, they have the end to end solution. For the first option once you mount your iPad, you can use his shortcuts and connect through bluetooth to Rivian music screen plus audio system.
Consider the fact that a mounted iPad on the dash is a very easy and exposed target for thieves to smash and grab. I don't think I'd ever take this approach for that reason alone.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

You can buy the unit EV Sportline uses on Amazon for under $80. You can get a fuse tap for less than $10. There are several mounts out there to 3d print. I personally didn't like the idea of deforming my dash the way EV Sportline does and made a metal mount for below the screen.

Rivian R1T R1S Carplay on Rivian Workaround PXL_20240102_213721774

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
Below the screen is so much better (and agree re the price. These units are nearly identical). Thatā€™s where I have mine too. Two tall water bottles are a problem. Otherwise I can see it fine and itā€™s out of the way.

JackRussellRacing

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
You can buy the unit EV Sportline uses on Amazon for under $80. You can get a fuse tap for less than $10. There are several mounts out there to 3d print. I personally didn't like the idea of deforming my dash the way EV Sportline does and made a metal mount for below the screen.
That is the position I'm looking for too. Curious what display unit you chose, and what the mounting holes look like on the back. I'm planning to use friction hinges to allow folding it backwards when not in use.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

That is the position I'm looking for too. Curious what display unit you chose, and what the mounting holes look like on the back. I'm planning to use friction hinges to allow folding it backwards when not in use.
Hikity 10.26 Inch Portable Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto Screen for Car, IPS Touchscreen Car Radio GPS Navigation Bluetooth Support Backup Camera Voice Control FM Transmitter 64G TF Card https://a.co/d/hOwo8W6

Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20ā€ ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Iā€™m sure there are cheaper options, but I would stick with the EVSportline pkg based on the feedback from the masses here in the Forum and to support a site sponsor. EVSportline has also made a firmware update available, so at least some ongoing support will be nice. Of course Iā€™ve already purchased the pkg (just not yet installed) so there is that. Please be sure and share the results when you get the friction hinges.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Iā€™m sure there are cheaper options, but I would stick with the EVSportline pkg based on the feedback from the masses here in the Forum and to support a site sponsor. EVSportline has also made a firmware update available, so at least some ongoing support will be nice. Of course Iā€™ve already purchased the pkg (just not yet installed) so there is that. Please be sure and share the results when you get the friction hinges.
Firmware update? I actually bought the EV Sportline unit just for review. There's been no update from them that I'm aware of.

Be sure to look at the install videos, specifically the dash installation of the bracket. Make sure you're willing to deform your dash in that manner before you actually get started.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Firmware update? I actually bought the EV Sportline unit just for review. There's been no update from them that I'm aware of.

Be sure to look at the install videos, specifically the dash installation of the bracket. Make sure you're willing to deform your dash in that manner before you actually get started.
FWIW I got one of the EV Sportline displays and I canā€™t even get it to power up, supposedly it was working with the fuse tap but I havenā€™t tried that yet. I reached out to them but if it is really dead then not sure how long these displays will last.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20ā€ ATs
Occupation
Retired IT

Not expecting a standard install to ā€˜deformā€™ my dash, but thanks for the warningā€¦ Iā€™m aware of the concern.
But like you, @RandomMcRandomFace and @JackRussellRacing, I want to try an alternate install location, like below the center screen and HVAC vents.
Re: the firmware update, Per EV Sportline: ā€œa new firmware update will be posted within a weekā€ā€¦ see this link:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ed-new-from-evsportline-com.21489/post-473315

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

FWIW I got one of the EV Sportline displays and I canā€™t even get it to power up, supposedly it was working with the fuse tap but I havenā€™t tried that yet. I reached out to them but if it is really dead then not sure how long these displays will last.
If you are trying a standard usb-c cable and charger, it won't power up. It doesn't use the same configuration of the cable.
Sponsored