Sponsored

rivraff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S
You're right, it was 10" initially - modified original thread.

The Rivian 'sub box' is pretty terrible too, we couldn't get rattle under control.
Ended up switching out JL 10 (replaced Rivian sub, unplugged).
Put a JL 12TW3 with factory box down in spare tire cavity *** no more rattle *** and hits way harder. Much cleaner at low volume filling low freq even at casual listening.

Very happy with results, good clean build.
Does it take up the whole cavity? any chance you could post a pic please?

Q-Dub23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
This is sweet! I have the same JL sub in my R1S plus Focal K2 Powers (they are definitely brighter and not as warm as JLs). I kept the crummy Rivian box to not take up storage space but the installer use two full packs of Dynomat to stop rattling. The factory amp actually does a nice job powering the Focal and I have a JL amp powering the sub.

Two questions (from a novice):

1. How did you use a five channel amp to drive 10 speakers (two 3 ways in front and two 2 ways in back)? Or are they just driving the new speakers

2. What did you do with the center channel.

As an aside, I'm try to add DSP to my build but am worried about effectively doubling the draw on my battery by adding another amp using speaker level inputs from the factory. Sounds like this didn't worry you. Any range loss?

Sponsored

kcsly

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kia sportage
Occupation
loan originator
You're right, it was 10" initially - modified original thread.

The Rivian 'sub box' is pretty terrible too, we couldn't get rattle under control.
Ended up switching out JL 10 (replaced Rivian sub, unplugged).
Put a JL 12TW3 with factory box down in spare tire cavity *** no more rattle *** and hits way harder. Much cleaner at low volume filling low freq even at casual listening.

Very happy with results, good clean build.
for the factory door speakers, remember which wires were positive and which were negative?

Gassious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Mercedes Benz GL550
Clubs

I've been waiting for someone to do a complete upgrade to their R1S since I picked mine up in May of 2023. Congratulations!

Could you please provide a complete components list?
Are the modifications to the LC5i something that fairly simple?
There aren't too many shops were I live who do custom auto stereo installations and probably zero who have touch a Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited: