Sponsored

Denver to Northern Minnesota trip

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m probably starting this thread a bit early but I’m headed to lake vermillion from Denver in June this year in my R1T. I’m not concerned at all about getting to Minneapolis from Denver. A decent amount of charging options on the way. My biggest concern is Minneapolis to lake vermillion. Not many fast chargers and if one is down I’m SOL. I’d also like to arrive with a decent amount of charge since there isn’t any charging at the cabin so I’d have to have enough to make it back to one.

I’m looking for any advice about traveling in an EV in northern Minnesota. I’d really like EA to open up their planned locations in moose lake and Duluth since that would ease any range concerns I have. I hope I can take the R1T since I plan on visiting northern Minnesota at least once a year but not in the winter.
Sponsored

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I've been up that way a few times this summer and fall. I've found the chargers to be reliable in Sturgeon Lake, Moose Lake, Virginia and Duluth. Sturgeon Lake and Moose Lake are pretty close - which you probably know - so if one is down you've got an easy plan b. Can't wait for the EA chargers though - the ones up that way now are all 50 kW I think.

OP
OP

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I've been up that way a few times this summer and fall. I've found the chargers to be reliable in Sturgeon Lake, Moose Lake, Virginia and Duluth. Sturgeon Lake and Moose Lake are pretty close - which you probably know - so if one is down you've got an easy plan b. Can't wait for the EA chargers though - the ones up that way now are all 50 kW I think.
Thanks for the info on those chargers. My plan is to charge at sturgeon or moose lake. I’m a bit worried about Virginia since there isn’t a backup option. would be awesome if those EA stations open up soon. I think my plan on if it takes me 2 or 3 days to get there depends on those EA chargers.

OP
OP

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Another question. Since this will be my first big road trip, are there any L2 adapters I should get? I'm not planning on charging at any camp sites but will if it's an emergency.

OP
OP

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Well I made it there and back. No real issues, just that charging north of Minneapolis is a joke. Tesla has 1 or 2 superchargers in Duluth, etc but all the CCS chargers are 50kw max if you are lucky. My work around was just to allow additional time. On the other hand I had zero issues with EA chargers but a few issues with chargepoint and especially EVGo. The Target in Roseville, MN was a cluster. Very busy place since there are no fast chargers in cabin country up north. Half of their chargers were offline undergoing a maintenance "upgrade"; whatever that means.

Anyway it was a great trip and I hope the charging gets better every year.
Sponsored