Sponsored

Details on what each driving modes actually do?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Can anyone comment in the suspension in Sport vs. All Purpose? I have had the car for a few days. I find the ride very, very bumpy on uneven surfaces at low speeds when driving in Sport mode. I have not played with All Purpose enough yet to know if the ride quality is any smoother.
You can try to change sport to ā€˜softā€™ and it will be much more compliant. Thereā€™s a massive difference between firm and soft. I normally keep mine in sport / soft because thereā€™s so much more power in sport šŸ˜›
Sponsored

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
You can try to change sport to ā€˜softā€™ and it will be much more compliant. Thereā€™s a massive difference between firm and soft. I normally keep mine in sport / soft because thereā€™s so much more power in sport šŸ˜›
Appreciate your feedback. I actually had it in Sport/Soft when I noticed the harsh bumps. That said, I suspect All-Purpose would have been smoother on the same driving surface. I haven't the car long enough to really make a lot of comparisons, which is why I am here asking around.

In any case, thanks for your thoughts.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Has anyone come across a detailed overview of what the different driving modes actually do? This question has a bit more to it than it may appear at first glance. I've heard in various reviews/posts from conversations with Rivian folks that in certain modes power is restricted to X% for example (not just conserve BTW). Also heard that accelerator feel is changed in A vs B etc. I've seen some articles that talk about these modes in terms of torque bias, suspension stiffness, stability control etc. Example here... Drive Modes Explained

What I haven't seen is an article that puts all of this together in one place by drive mode. Has anyone seen something like this or is knowledgeable enough to put one together? Looking for details here vs. the high level overview.
Thanks for bringing this up. Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing. Iā€™d like to know everything thatā€™s changed between modes. Not just power, but all suspension settings, virtual sway bars, virtual front/rear & side to side differentials, stability & traction control, etc. Iā€™d also like to know exactly what changes when Stability is changed from On to Reduced to Off. Iā€™ve read the manual about these things & find the descriptions very elementary.

Although Iā€™d love to know all of these details, I can understand why Rivian wonā€™t share them, because this is part of their unique proprietary IP, and also because theyā€™re probably tweaking them from time to time (especially for the S). If I were them, the last thing Iā€™d want is feedback from a bunch of Internet ā€œexpertsā€ about how to tune the vehicle, while the competition takes notes & eats popcorn, enjoying the mess.

I was hoping that this recent podcast with Rivianā€™s Max Koff would provide some of these details, but I donā€™t recall that it did. Perhaps that stuff was off limits, or maybe it wasnā€™t brought up because the hosts didnā€™t think those types of questions would appeal to their audience. Despite this disappointment, I enjoyed the podcast and came away from it feeling good about Rivianā€™s Director of Vehicle Dynamics.
Sponsored