Does your flashlight work?

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Mine apparently doesn't anymore. I can see the LED light up but it's so dim it would be barely usable in a darkroom, it flashes as you turn it on which is maybe indicating it thinks it's super dead.

I don't know why - it's lived in the door this entire time, I tried letting it warm up, trying it again, and also re-seating it but no dice, has anyone had the flashlight fail already? I'd assume if I put in a ticket they could just mail me another battery.

Edit: I think I found out what's wrong - for whatever reason it doesn't seem to 'seat' properly on the charger. If I hold it pressed into the door it will charge and work, but that's obviously impractical for usage. Where it naturally sits in the door either doesn't engage the charge pins or doesn't connect well enough to actually charge it.
Did rivian provided any fix ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arky

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Did rivian provided any fix ?
If I'm honest I haven't asked them - I stuck a piece of foam tape on the bottom of the flashlight holder and that holds it in a good enough position to charge. I didn't want to bring it in just for that but I'd probably mention it if they're fixing something else already.

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian Blue Ocean Coast Adventure Package
Mine went dead after a few months. Opened a ticket and tech came out and replaced it. He pointed out that if the flash light is on when itā€™s docked and subsequently turns off that it is an indication that it is charging.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I know mine works because I needed to use it last night. I needed it because the stupid bed lights won't come on again after the tailgate has been down for an extended period of time without closing and re-opening it. Which is not very well thought out since they made the tailgate so long so that a load, in my case a motorcycle, could be carried with the gate down. I had no way to close then reopen the tailgate when the bike was in the bed and it was dark so I had no light.

There needs to be a way to activate the bed lights from the screen. Or maybe there is and I'm blind.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
There needs to be a way to activate the bed lights from the screen. Or maybe there is and I'm blind.
There is. On the access & security screen (the open hood icon) tap the light bulb on the truck bed overhead pic.
Rivian R1T R1S Does your flashlight work? 35C80AB8-41BE-44CB-80E9-49BF052F3EBF

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My light works. No issues to report. As does my speaker

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
There is. On the access & security screen (the open hood icon) tap the light bulb on the truck bed overhead pic.
35C80AB8-41BE-44CB-80E9-49BF052F3EBF.jpeg
AH! THANK YOU!!!!!! I never noticed that darn bulb in the bed!

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
Mine came dead from the factory but they replaced it.

ED05

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I can't get the flashlight to come out of the door. It had been working but tonight it wouldn't come out of the door. Maybe I'm missing something.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
Mine works with no issues. Currently, no issues with the truck at all...
Mine works , use it every time I go to work at 0300, had truck since march , 4200 mines on it. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Mine does the same thing. I have a service appointment scheduled for mid December. Iā€™ll add this item to my fix list and update this thread after my appointment.
After having a similar factory flashlight with built in charger on my Jeep Grand Cherokee fail multiple times, then again on a second vehicle, I see these flashlights as just another gimmick, gee wiz kinda feature.

it just wonā€™t ever be used enough and die on the charger. Prepare for the camp speaker to suffer the same fate.

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
My flashlight does not charge unless held in at a slight angle. I fold up a piece of paper and gently wedge it in between the flashlight and the hole to keep it against the side so it will charge. It is rather annoying since I use my flashlight nearly every day. I have gone back and forth with the service center on this. My findings are below.

Reproducing the issue:

When the flashlight is charging it turns off, so if it turns off when in the door it has made contact with the charging pins; however, it takes about a quarter second of contact to count it and turn off. If the flashlight is charging it will turn off. When the flashlight is pushed into the door, it has enough hand pressure to contact the pins and turn off, but when left alone it stops making contact and does not charge. If pushed in and let go of quickly the light does not make contact with the pins for very long and does not turn off, showing that in the natural seating position it does not charge. Even if it does turn off, it does not charge after the initial seating - This is evident as it dies over time despite being in the door every day.

Repo Steps:
1. Turn on flashlight
2. Push flashlight fully into cradle and let go quickly (being carful to not jam it too hard) - this seats the light without holding it tighter against the charging pins than it normally sits when charging.
3. If the flashlight charges in the normal position it should consistently turn off, if it does not charge it will remain on.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 a number of times to verify result. The light should ALWAYS turn off if the seating position holds the light against the pins properly and it chargers.

Service:
I took it in for service and they replaced the cradle that holds and charges the flashlight. They then pushed it in slowly and it turned off, and claimed it was fixed. I pushed the light in quickly and it did not turn off. The service department stated that it must be pushed in slowly or it won't charge. After service the light (even when pushed in slowly) would not charge and was dead quickly. The light flashes a few times when turned on if it is low on energy, and then continues to dim till dead.

I took it back in for service and they replaced the flashlight instead. The new one was covered in grease and was probably used around the shop. The button doesn't work very well either. I asked to verify if it charges before leaving and showed them that it didn't turn off unless held in, and they noted that it was not working, but they didn't have time to fix it. We talked about the above steps I found to reproduce the issue, and they said they would continue to look into the issue. I wish I had my original flashlight back, but I cleaned up the one they gave me.

I have mentioned the light at several service appointments with no fix. It seems like it might be a design flaw, as they can't seem to fix it. I am not confident my service center wants to take the time to fix it though.

Temporary fix:
I folded up a piece of paper and gently wedged it in next to the flashlight to hold it at a slight angle. The flashlight turns off and charges until the paper is removed.

I have considered 3D printing an offset ring to place in the cradle to change the position of the flashlight and solve the problem. There are same little rubber feet in the cradle that add friction. I have considered replacing one of those feet with a taller one to act as a wedge as well. I think the opposite foot would need to be removed or reduced to still allow enough room to fit the light in.
Sponsored