Sponsored

Driver+ takes off ramp. Truck possessed?

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
I have had the ACC slam the brakes for speed bumps and for no reason that could find. ACC seems to work great in stoplight to stoplight traffic and is ok at Interstate speeds, but at 40 mph on an empty boulevard, it acts paranoid.

I would like a dumb cruise option for interstate travel. If a semi is merging from an on ramp and Iā€™m doing 75 and just behind and to the side of the the semi (thatā€™s still has a solid white line and canā€™t merge yet). Iā€™ve had ACC and Driver+ slam the brakes. Iā€™ve gotten to the point I only use Driver + in the center lane of a 3 lane Interstate.
Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I also vote for dumb cruise control. I've turned off pretty much all the features I can such as LKA because they are frustrating. Agree there is still too frequent phantom braking.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I believe a single tap of the right stalk gives you simple adaptive cruise control, with only speed and following distance in play. However, give it a double tap (engageable only on certain highways), and that's when the steering robot comes out to play/wreak havoc over potential outcomes.

@Kuro-Rivian, I can see how that combo of taking an unexpected exit under rapid acceleration might cause sudden weight loss. Thankfully, the vegan leather seats are easy to clean. šŸ¤§
Sounds like you are advocating for a switch to the BM interiorā€¦

ACC is probably good for some situations butā€¦

ā€¦
With Rivians adaptive cruise control I have issues of it reporting "camera blurry" due to rain even when the rain isn't bad. It's so sporadic about it that its maddening, and super annoying.
this means it wonā€™t work where I live in the rainy PNW.

I will admit I have very limited experience in these nanny state cars that want to wrest control away - MILā€™s Subaru which drove me nuts and I turned all the stuff off. Itā€™s just hard to imagine feeling more secure with the glitchy robot in charge and yā€™all arenā€™t helping.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Please report this to Rivian. Itā€™s the only way it will get fixed.

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Just did a 1,400 mile road trip with my truck. Loved it. Overall it was great experience and I was super impressed. Comfortable ride, no charging issues, EA stations worked flawlessly and even conservative Iowa with all it's windmills gave me free 150kw charging. Navigation sucks (for now). I learned a lot about efficiency driving from 10 degree temps into 65+ degree weather. Was fun. After this trip I feel comfortable taking the R1T anywhere at any distance.

EXCEPT....... Driver+ worked great most of the time and it was nice to have. However, four times over the course of the trip it decided to suddenly take an off ramp. And by "suddenly" I mean at the very last moment it darted (yes darted) onto an off ramp with no notice whatsoever. The 1rst and 2nd time it scared the shit out of me. The 3rd and 4th time I told the wife not to freak out and if it happened again we were gonna let it rip and see what happens. What happened the 3rd and 4th time was highway assist disengaged but only after traveling a good 1/2 way up the ramps. "Cruise control" stayed active and the truck accelerated hard (more on that). All four times it happened when following a semi, at the closest distance setting, at speed around 70 mph. The way I was driving, I set the cruise speed higher than traffic flow (75-85) and let the truck go/manage speed with the flow of traffic. So when it darted onto the ramp, it accelerated pretty briskly before I manually disengaged.

So just sharing but curious if has happened to anyone else?
I had some different nightmarish scenario with Driver+. Hope you have submitted a ticket with RIVIANā€¦.
Sponsored