Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Whoever solves self-driving will almost certainly sell a version to the rest of the world, perhaps not the whole package but then again maybe the whole package for a high price. They’ll effectively own the future in that case and make a true mint.

Therefore, I can see why Rivian would want to join the race, possibly with a unique approach that they think might pan out before others’.

In any case, Rivian licensing someone else’s full self driving is a good possibility, should that breakthrough happen. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear Rivians employ Tesla’s self driving software in 2030+ vehicles. Tesla is surely the odds on favorite to win this particular race, if it’s at all winnable that is.
Sponsored

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

Whoever solves self-driving will almost certainly sell a version to the rest of the world, perhaps not the whole package but then again maybe the whole package for a high price. They’ll effectively own the future in that case and make a true mint.

Therefore, I can see why Rivian would want to join the race, possibly with a unique approach that they think might pan out before others’.

In any case, Rivian licensing someone else’s full self driving is a good possibility, should that breakthrough happen. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear Rivians employ Tesla’s self driving software in 2030+ vehicles. Tesla is surely the odds on favorite to win this particular race, if it’s at all winnable that is.
MB already solved it the current S class and E class in ICE and electric versions are the only level 3 fully autonomous approved consumer systems available for sale and use today. Requires a lot of lidar sensors. All the current systems from Tesla and others that don't use lidar will never achieve level 3 FSD. This is why Tesla is testing integration of lidar sensors.

How pissed are people who own Teslas going to be when they only have supervised FSD not Level 3 due to hardware. LOL. Wait for the lawsuits, the latest Tesla software added in the verbiage of supervised.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
MB already solved it the current S class and E class in ICE and electric versions are the only level 3 fully autonomous approved consumer systems available for sale and use today. Requires a lot of lidar sensors. All the current systems from Tesla and others that don't use lidar will never achieve level 3 FSD. This is why Tesla is testing integration of lidar sensors.

How pissed are people who own Teslas going to be when they only have supervised FSD not Level 3 due to hardware. LOL. Wait for the lawsuits, the latest Tesla software added in the verbiage of supervised.
I figured Tesla went from LiDAR to vision-only precisely so they could license the system to everyone on earth. I don’t follow super closely; you’re saying Tesla is adding LiDAR Again? If I were to defend my conjecture I’d say the Lidar would be to help train the data brought in from cameras, with the goal of camera-only, but I’m really not sure. One way or another they’re definitely going for the gold ring.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Rivian should MobileEye and force them out of the restrictions. Problem solved. You're all very welcome.

/s

BlueNoles97

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, R1S on Order
Occupation
IT Director
Can Rivian turn the Mobile Eye camera into a dumb camera and not use the SOC and perception stack from Mobile Eye? If they can't then what is the point of the Nivida computer?

Sponsored

allisgoodman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
I am curious why Rivian is not advertising the new MobbileEye system. It's an upgrade from previous gen after all.

OP
OP
MrMusAddict

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
I am curious why Rivian is not advertising the new MobbileEye system. It's an upgrade from previous gen after all.
They would have you believe Rivian is providing the features. Technically, they *are* advertising it by showcasing RAP+ (which is what the new MobilEye provides).

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

a double downward click activates Driver+
Incorrect - a double down click activates "Highway Assist" (which is one of the many features of Driver+). Driver+ is always active. A single down click activates ACC, which is available most of the time (perhaps not when a trailer is attached). Highway Assist is only available on certain mapped highways, and not in construction zones, etc.
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-features-are-included-in-rivian-driver

Last edited:

Tangarg

First Name
Tanmay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1S preorder
Occupation
EM
I value safety in a car a lot. I bought my R1S after Tesla as they claimed an impressive array of sensors (10 exterior cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 5 radars) and I was somehow under the impression that they use this for the safety features.

Are you saying that in reality, Gen 1 vehicles are relying only on a single forward-facing camera for their driver assistance features? What are the sensors doing then exactly? Just providing a 360* view?

OP
OP
MrMusAddict

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
I value safety in a car a lot. I bought my R1S after Tesla as they claimed an impressive array of sensors (10 exterior cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 5 radars) and I was somehow under the impression that they use this for the safety features.

Are you saying that in reality, Gen 1 vehicles are relying only on a single forward-facing camera for their driver assistance features? What are the sensors doing then exactly? Just providing a 360* view?

The forward facing camera AND the forward facing sensors are being used for driver assistance.

The 360° camera appears to only be used for the camera app in the vehicle, and gear guard.

The 360° sensors are only being used for parking proximity, blind spot monitoring, and presumably also gear guard.

Sponsored

Tangarg

First Name
Tanmay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EM
The forward facing camera AND the forward facing sensors are being used for driver assistance.

The 360° camera appears to only be used for the camera app in the vehicle, and gear guard.

The 360° sensors are only being used for parking proximity, blind spot monitoring, and presumably also gear guard.
I really think that's deceiving marketing on their end. I am sure there are many others who felt that the whole suite of sensors and cameras were being used for driver's assist and not just gear guard which itself has a very unreliable detection.
Rivian should either switch to using the full hardware similar to their plan for gen 2 or provide a way to upgrade to new hardware for a fees.

We don't need to have the latest features for self driving from gen 2 but at least safety features and accident prevention ones should be there.

OP
OP
MrMusAddict

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
I really think that's deceiving marketing on their end. I am sure there are many others who felt that the whole suite of sensors and cameras were being used for driver's assist and not just gear guard which itself has a very unreliable detection.
Rivian should either switch to using the full hardware similar to their plan for gen 2 or provide a way to upgrade to new hardware for a fees.

We don't need to have the latest features for self driving from gen 2 but at least safety features and accident prevention ones should be there.
Yeah, Gen2 is compatible with (but not currently capable of):

• Front/Rear collision avoidance
  • Evasive maneuver assist
  • Accelerating to prevent cut-ins

I've not owned a Tesla, only heard stories of their accident avoidance. If these are features offered on the base Autopilot (even in a limited capacity), then yeah it's quite frustrating to know Gen1 won't be getting them.

We DO have front-collision avoidance at the very least, but that's not saying much since that's mandatory since 2022.

Tangarg

First Name
Tanmay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EM
Yeah, Gen2 is compatible with (but not currently capable of):

• Front/Rear collision avoidance
  • Evasive maneuver assist
  • Accelerating to prevent cut-ins

I've not owned a Tesla, only heard stories of their accident avoidance. If these are features offered on the base Autopilot (even in a limited capacity), then yeah it's quite frustrating to know Gen1 won't be getting them.

We DO have front-collision avoidance at the very least, but that's not saying much since that's mandatory since 2022.
Yes, that's exactly what i perceived when i bought the gen 1 earlier. It is a perfect car for me and i don't want any fancy features from gen 2. But safety features are important from everyone. Thinking to start a petition for this.
Sponsored