Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

UPDATE ADDED BY ADMINISTRATOR:

Elon Musk makes first comment after supercharger team layoffs:

"Tesla still plans to grow the Supercharger network, just at a slower pace for new locations and more focus on 100% uptime and expansion of existing locations"

ORIGINAL POST by @Redline :

This is a disaster. Basically they convinced every manufacture to switch to NACS, then pull the rug from underneath. Elmo has to go.

I do worry about 1, the reliability of them going foward...do they basically be come EA? And 2, future rollouts to V4.
Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

Maybe Elon is getting ready to sell Tesla to the Chinese 🤑... just some conspiracy theory of mine 🤣

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

It's an insane move. Allowing manic episodes of one man to go unchecked and light significant portions of the company on fire -- it's indicative of organizational rot.

I'd guess that it'll be walked back, with some of the team being allowed to "reapply" for their jobs. But the compounding damage to trust is done.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's an insane move. Allowing manic episodes of one man to go unchecked and light significant portions of the company on fire -- it's indicative of organizational rot.

I'd guess that it'll be walked back, with some of the team being allowed to "reapply" for their jobs. But the compounding damage to trust is done.
My opinion, Tesla is in trouble until they find a new CEO.

This isn't sustainable.

Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Can someone objectively explain if this will have any impact on their charging network or their ability to rollout and install chargers? If not, isn't this just trimming fat? Similar to rivian cutting out guides?

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can someone objectively explain if this will have any impact on their charging network or their ability to rollout and install chargers? If not, isn't this just trimming fat? Similar to rivian cutting out guides?
I mean...the entire team (according to reports) is gone.

What do you think that means for rollouts and installs?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This isn't trimming the fat, this is cutting your leg off to reduce your body mass.

I'm not familiar with how Tesla operates the team, but with 500 people I have to presume the team was responsible for pushing each individual supercharger location forward. Dealing with permitting and planning issues, site selection, working with local power companies on grid requirements, contracting out maintenance, etc.

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

not even close to being the same as removing customer support.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Musk said, in his typical bluster, that he wants Tesla to be “absolutely hard core” about headcount reduction, saying that executives whose subordinates “don’t obviously pass the excellent, necessary and trustworthy test” would find themselves relieved of duty as well – suggesting that he wants those executives to fire more employees or be fired themselves.

This ain't authoritarian [insert Not-America here], we're in a low unemployment economy with all the talent sticking to their good jobs. You gotta train and improve your existing workforce, not 💩 all over them and fire folks. Organizational Leadership 101: be happy with the folks that show up every day, regardless of output. You'll spend more training new staff than correcting course of existing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Musk said, in his typical bluster, that he wants Tesla to be “absolutely hard core” about headcount reduction, saying that executives whose subordinates “don’t obviously pass the excellent, necessary and trustworthy test” would find themselves relieved of duty as well – suggesting that he wants those executives to fire more employees or be fired themselves.

This ain't authoritarian [insert Not-America here], we're in a low unemployment economy with all the talent sticking to their good jobs. You gotta train and improve your existing workforce, not 💩 all over them and fire folks. Organizational Leadership 101: be happy with the folks that show up every day, regardless of output. You'll spend more training new staff than correcting course of existing.
It is definitely interesting that he was just in China.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Maybe Elon is getting ready to sell Tesla to the Chinese 🤑... just some conspiracy theory of mine 🤣
My uncles cousin told me that Elon is going to divest the whole SC network. Currently the highest bidder is EA.... ;)

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I mean...the entire team (according to reports) is gone.

What do you think that means for rollouts and installs?
No idea, maybe that they're happy with the current charging network and need to cut some overhead? Some of the opinions on here feel like they're just regurgitating the opinions in that electrek op Ed article.