Failed Tesla Charging Attempt-Help Please

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
I purchased the Lectron J1772 adapter to use at open Tesla stations as I think it’s going to be awhile before I receive the Rivian one. I went to what was described as an “open” station on the Tesla sight, but doesn’t come up on the Rivian nav map with the “adapter needed” filter selected. When I tried to charge (attempted on two different stations) it said “waiting on charger” on the screen. I called support and they were not very helpful. He said maybe try opening an account through Tesla.

I was going to go to a Tesla station that does come up on the Rivian app with the ”adapter needed” filter on, however, the Riv representative said that if you make three failed attempts to charge you have to reboot the car. Didn’t want to deal with that so I came home and plugged in again to reset.

To be fair, even though I’ve owned the Riv for over a year, this was my first attempt to try a public charger so certainly could be some operator error.

Are there chargers listed as open on the Tesla sight, but not really open to Rivian?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6
You need a DC Fast charger adapter if you want to use a supercharger. A J1772 adapter is for AC power, not DC power. Your J1772 adapter can be used for Tesla “Destination” chargers i.e. slow chargers at a hotel or at someone’s home. You need a DC adapter to use on a NACS supercharger. Look up the one from A2Z… it takes about a month to get.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Superchargers are fast chargers. You need the NACS to CCS1 adapter. Not the NACS to J1772 adapter, which is for use with Tesla home chargers or destination chargers (like at some hotels).

OP
OP

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Superchargers are fast chargers. You need the NACS to CCS1 adapter. Not the NACS to J1772 adapter, which is for use with Tesla home chargers or destination chargers (like at some hotels).
Wow…I’m an idiot. Makes sense. Thank you both!

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Don't feel bad. There is a significant learning curve to this EV stuff. That's what this Forum is for. It is here to help us get through this conversion to a new automotive technology.

Brian

Sponsored

OP
OP

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Don't feel bad. There is a significant learning curve to this EV stuff. That's what this Forum is for. It is here to help us get through this conversion to a new automotive technology.

Brian

OP
OP

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
Thanks. I have to say this community is great. I’ve learned a lot, and any time I have a question there’s always a helpful reply.

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

The top portion of your charging port is known as J1772, used for home charging or destination charging. It can only take up to 11.5kW. The whole port, known as CCS1 (Combined Charging System), is used for DC Fast Charging. Currently, the max speed that Rivian’s can accept is up to 220kW. You will need the NACS to CCS adapter such as the one from A2Z or what Rivian is sending everyone to utilize select Tesla Superchargers. Electrify America, EVGo, and other companies have fast chargers that already have CCS1 connectors so no adapter needed.

Rivian R1T R1S Failed Tesla Charging Attempt-Help Please IMG_9981

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6

Brian
I’m with Brian here. Don’t feel bad. Like many of us, my Rivian was my first EV. Keep that J1772 adapter in your frunk or center console for the future. My best piece of advice, is take your Rivian on a roadtrip (after some planning and local practice at a fast charger). You will learn a lot about the capabilities of your R1 and the frustrations of charging. The fact that you’re looking to charge at a NACS Supercharger is a good sign.

OP
OP

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
The top portion of your charging port is known as J1772, used for home charging or destination charging. It can only take up to 11.5kW. The whole port, known as CCS1 (Combined Charging System), is used for DC Fast Charging. Currently, the max speed that Rivian’s can accept is up to 220kW. You will need the NACS to CCS adapter such as the one from A2Z or what Rivian is sending everyone to utilize select Tesla Superchargers. Electrify America, EVGo, and other companies have fast chargers that already have CCS1 connectors so no adapter needed.

IMG_9981.jpeg
Very helpful explanation, thanks!

Is there a specific recommended charger on the A2Z website? I see several versions and wide price range.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Very helpful explanation, thanks!

Is there a specific recommended charger on the A2Z website? I see several versions and wide price range.
You need a level 3 charging adapter (1000 volt / 500 amps) instead of the level 2 charging adapter (60 amps) you currently have.

The only one I would recommend that is shipping out and has been reliable for Ford / Rivian customers is the A2Z adapter.

You can get it $177 shipped after the "RIV" discount code has been applied.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

You can always call them after you've placed your order to upgrade to expedited / overnight shipping for $15.

You still have to wait 3 weeks for the order to ship but once it ships, you should get it in couple days.

Call

1 (844) A2Z - EVSE
WORKING DAYS / HOURS
Mon - Fri / 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

I have signed up to become a sponsor to make it clear we are promoting/selling a product as a sponsor and not a normal user. We are community-supported and may get paid by brands or deals, including promoted items. This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

Rivian R1T R1S Failed Tesla Charging Attempt-Help Please 1714926326595-5v

Last edited:

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

It’s the A2Z Typhoon plug for $197. Search these forums for a discount code. I think it was 10% off with the code. Keep in mind, that Rivian or Tesla do not support third party adapters like A2Z or Lectron.

OP
OP

FTWRS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Occupation
Consulting
You need a level 3 charging adapter (1000 volt / 500 amps) instead of the level 2 charging adapter (60 amps) you currently have.

The only one I would recommend that is shipping out and has been reliable for Ford / Rivian customers is the A2Z adapter.

You can get it $177 shipped after the "RIV" discount code has been applied.

You can always call them after you've placed your order to upgrade to expedited / overnight shipping for $15.

You still have to wait 3 weeks for the order to ship but once it ships, you should get it in couple days.

Call

1 (844) A2Z - EVSE
WORKING DAYS / HOURS
Mon - Fri / 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST.

1714926326595-5v.png
Thank you!

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I purchased the Lectron J1772 adapter to use at open Tesla stations as I think it’s going to be awhile before I receive the Rivian one. I went to what was described as an “open” station on the Tesla sight, but doesn’t come up on the Rivian nav map with the “adapter needed” filter selected. When I tried to charge (attempted on two different stations) it said “waiting on charger” on the screen. I called support and they were not very helpful. He said maybe try opening an account through Tesla.

I was going to go to a Tesla station that does come up on the Rivian app with the ”adapter needed” filter on, however, the Riv representative said that if you make three failed attempts to charge you have to reboot the car. Didn’t want to deal with that so I came home and plugged in again to reset.

To be fair, even though I’ve owned the Riv for over a year, this was my first attempt to try a public charger so certainly could be some operator error.

Are there chargers listed as open on the Tesla sight, but not really open to Rivian?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Wrong adapter. You got the one that you can use to charge up to 48 amps at some hotels, friend's houses that have Teslas, etc.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

One other piece of advice is to find all of the non-Tesla charging networks in your vicinity and do a test charge with them.

Each network has its own opportunity for dumb mistakes (I've probably made all of them) that are easy to avoid once you know what they are.

For example, most chargers involve plugging in and then initiating your charge session. Except for Chargepoint, which sometimes requires you to (unituitively) use your app to unlock the charger before you can even physically remove the plug. I nearly broke a charger trying to figure that out the first time.
Sponsored